Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small cap, non-computer distributor for a 4.3 V6?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod To Hell, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Does anybody make one?

Have any of you ever converted a small cap computer dizzy to non-computer use?

There are a lot of companies that make large cap non-computer HEI dizzys for the 4.3, but they're ugly as hell and eat up a lot of firewall clearance.

I haven't found anything for small cap.

Thanks in advance!
    Steve

2. Try Mercury Marine, they use the 4.3 with a carb on their 197 hp inboards. You might get lucky there. I dont think that the inboards use a computor management system with a carb but they do with the injected version. Mike

3. Indocil Art

Indocil Art

MSD has one and be carefull there are also carb clearance issues also.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what do you have a 4.3 in?? are you carbuereted and no computer?

in the back of my head I'd like to have a 49 - 50 chevy for my daily driver with a 4.3 /5speed. just wondering what troubles you get into doing this.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There exist van applications with a very small stand-alone computer running just the small-distributor HEI ignition, with a non-computer QJet carb. Van has the little computer box under driver's seat...don't remember details beyonf that, but it was something that could be used neatly and inconspicuously. I believe all original distributors with advance are big size, do not know what aftermarket has.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Mallory made a dual point for early 4.3s with a small cap. Just be careful not to end up with one for a 200-229 V6--they'll drop right in and look like they'll work, but the firing intervals are different.

7. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have a mercury marine distributor for a 4.3 that is a small cap points unit. Throw in a pertronix and you are set.

They are cheap and easy to get, but they only thing is that they do not have vacumn advance.

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Looks like the 8597 and you have to run a ignition box with it though...

Sorry I missed this one... I guess to make it up to you I'll have to give you an extra special price on it...

Mike

9. granny

granny
    from WA state

In my own search for a small body 4.3 V6 dist for a carb that has vac advance, i came across this old thread. I recently found a solution from a guy in Nevada who custom builds just such a thing for a little over $200...
    <CITE>http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/</CITE>

10. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

The 4.3 is the same distributor body as the chevrolet v8, the cam, breaker plate and cap are different.
    We build these units either as a point type or electronic with small cap etc. Can use vac advance as well........
    I have done a few for hamb dudes for track roadsters etc.............

11. OldCrow

OldCrow

I had a carbed 4.3 for a wile. I had the dist set up by a local guy, and my memory is a little gray on the subject now, but as I recall he used an 86 dist, which was computer controled sml diameter, and just swapped in a different HEI module to make it non-computer.

Russ