Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Small block ford points

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rustang, Nov 24, 2013.

1. rustang

rustang

Most of the SBF engines used a resistor wire that ran from the key to the coil... this would drop the voltage to about 7 volts in the run position..... if you are using non-resisted wiring you might be able to use a ballast resistor like is used in the chevs.... most circuits will use full 12v to get it started, then will step the voltage down in the run position....

Another option would be for you to go to like a Pertronix setup, replace the points in your distributor, and usually they require a full 12 volts all the time...

Probably would help some if you could explain more what your wiring is, what is actually happening and what you did to tidy up your wiring.... If it was not smoking wires before you worked on it, I would suspect something you may have hooked up wrong....

2. fordor41

fordor41

I'm running a SBF in my '41. When I had points I used a Mopar ballast resistor(Napa-Echlin)
    1.37 ohms, I believe. Now with PertroniX it's wired 12V to the PertroniX, start & run.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

The resistor goes to the distributor and not the coil? Right if so I think that's where I made my mistake.

4. 65COMET

65COMET

pbr40;YES,resistor wire or ballast resistor hooks to the distributer.If full 12 volts goes to the points they will eventually burn out,been there,done that!! ROY.

5. No pbr, the resistor goes to the coil + side

[​IMG]

6. No Roy, the ballast resistor goes between the ignition switch and coil +. In a points system there is no voltage going to the distributor.

7. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Hotrod don you answered my questions thanks for all the help guys!!!

8. 65COMET

65COMET

DON;yep,I knew I blew that explanation as soon as I saw your post,OOPS!!! I had an engine fire,burned up all the underhood wiring.When I replaced the wires I did not know there was a resistor wire until my points would not last.Back then we had real car people running parts houses,one of them told me about the resistance needed!! ROY.