Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small Block Chevy Head Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RClark, Jun 12, 2009.

1. RClark

RClark

I just bought a 327 today that i've been wanting for a while. I finally convinced the guy to sell it to me today. I've looked up the casting numbers on the block and heads, but honestly I don't know what i've got. I know the heads are desirable "camel hump" heads, but as far as port volumes and chamber sizes, I've really never compared one set of heads to another. Anybody want to break it down for me?

The Casting number follows with details from Mortec.com

3782461....64-66...327......Camel hump,no accessory holes,160/62cc port volumes,62cc chamber

2. Go to NHRA.com and click on competition then down load chart for the Super Stock Cylinder-head section.

3. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Camel humps used to be desirable. Now they are iron anchors. Any set of decent aluminum SBC heads will out flow them right from the box.

4. This is true. However, don't forget the nostalgia factor. If you want an old school lookin' 327, the "double hump" heads would drive the look home. Of course, Buick59 is still correct if serious @ss haulin' is the real desired goal. :D

5. RClark

RClark

Not quite a comparison. I'm looking for flow characteristics, smaller port volumes vs. larger ports, Open chamber vs. closed, etc.

I'm well aware that I could just toss these in the dumpster and buy some new aluminum heads, but I tend to enjoy building traditional style hot rods with nostalgic parts.

6. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

http://books.google.com/books?id=eA...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5#PPA60,M1

I wanted a certain feel..and performance from my past. Built this motor with Humps..2.02s..pocket ported..came out just like I remember. The sound..and character is much as I remember my mills from the 60s. A old circle track motor guy did mine.
    Racing..vortec or aftermerket. But a great strong street motor with a certain feel and sound..Humps for me..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  7. RClark

RClark

Thanks! Thats all the info I needed. And then some.

8. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

..you're welcome..

9. Just a note, if it is a street motor, run flattop pistons. 62cc chambers and domed pistons are not friends of most of today's fule. Can u say "ping, pig, ping"

10. RClark

RClark

Yeah, I was just figuring the compresion ratio. Looks like 10.8:1. Not good.