Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small block Chevy guys...what do I have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Oct 15, 2012.

1. NORSON

NORSON

I was a Chevy partsman several Portland area dealers from '65 to '75. No target motors back then. Never sold a complete motor, but know a few were sold. sold a ton of short blocks and pieced the heads together. when I worked at the Vancouver dealer (he owned an Indy car), we sold to a road race outfit called Hatch and Park. They raced Cameros. They supplied the part numbers and bought pieces to assemble their motors. Some were the really hot parts. I saw my first light flywheel and pink rods in their orders, but other parts didn't make much sense. One thing was the ignition points. They were not the heavy duty units and the distributors were a more standard unit. Very similar to the one on this engine. They used 302 engines in the Cameros.
    Worked at one dealership that was open till midnight.Used to sell to all the street racers. They'd blow a third member or a 4 spd. Come in, buy one and be back on the street the same night. Sold a short block a week. Could pull an order for 202 heads without cracking the book. The customers would come to us with the latest part numbers from Hot Rod. The point is, don't expect this motor to make sense from a "it came it the car" standpoint. Portland was smalls-ville compared to an LA. You can imagine what was happening there.

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We bought 010 blocks in the early '70s over the counter (Courtesy Chev in San Jose) and they had no numbers stamped in the pads.

Could be one of those blocks...(are you gonna measure the stroke? Simple, and just humor me.)

3. Deuces

Deuces

I always crank up the watts whenever I hear one of their tunes....:)

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

That does not surprise me and could very well be the case here, but I really don't the know the whole story on it...that went with Grandpa :(

One of his friends told me he thought he (my grandpa) got the motor out of a drag boat and had it all redone they way he wanted it......but that really doesn't sound right to me. He also said he remembered the block being Buick....which I also doubt.

I most certainly can measure the stroke for ya Mike....not gonna leave you hangin' , besides..I have the motor and you have the knowledge on it. :D

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

This was a fun thread! Usually I only see Mopar guys get all worked up like this! :D ;)

6. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

Corvette guys are the worst. Not all of them, I'm a Corvette guy, I mean "THOSE" Corvette guys....

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

I used that mount in my 35 Ford truck but it sat too low and I added a spacer

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

enough already...get off the computer and get your ass over to your parents house right now and get some pics...don't make me come over there...:p

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

wish i had 600 to 1000.00 id go there and go home happy

:cool:

its worth ALL OF THAT

10. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I have to say.. It does look like an LT1. I have an original one, same heads, same block number, same pistons etc..

Deuces likes this.
  11. Model T1

Model T1

HA! After our kids grew up I got to buy a Corvette. Couldn't afford one of those cool split window models or even a chrome bumper Vette. Still, I wanted something slightly different. Bought a low mileage 77 T-top. Always considered myself a hotrodder and a custom car guy. Yes, they can exist together. But those Corvette dudes were weird! Still, they were friendly.
    Every group of car guys is different but seems like as long as they have engines and tires most groups get along.
    My 77 Vette sat next to my 26 T, 39 Ford and other cars. They didn't mind.

12. Ha Ha!

I've got 2 Vette clubs out here and they say the same thing about each other. :D

13. MrModelT

MrModelT

Yes sir...sorry sir! ...please don't hurt me!

... :p

14. teejay99

teejay99

Jack Nicholson : " Are we clear "?

Tom Cruise : " Crystal !"

Summing it all up , it's a SBF,327 Camel Hump, special Ford , with a Torker , with a tarantula intake , early 350 , 2 bolt main , 4 bolt main , Corvette , 302 , LT1 :D ....I think .

So many choices , so little time .

15. Model T1

Model T1

We may have not learned a lot from this thread but our minds have been freed from life's little burdons and the problems that face us. That alone is worth the price of a SBCF.
    Good luck finding out more about that engine.
    The nice people are coming to put me away for the nite. You won't hear me from that padded cute little room.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Got the LT-1 intake????....
    How about a picture?????.....

17. NORSON

NORSON

Corvette guys? They would come in and want to rebuild the whole thing. Weather strips, firewall grommets, trim, etc., etc., etc...... Some parts guys would play dumb so they didn't have to wait on them. everything was different on a Vette. Hey, Just remembered what I paid for for my 365/327 shot block $247 in late '63. 202 heads were about $150 for the pair. Norm

18. Model T1

Model T1

At last. Someone who understands me!;)

19. Model T1

Model T1

We used to go to Bloomington Gold shows when they were really in Blooomington, Illinois. Talk about picky car owners and judges. Took all the fun out of owning a Vette. :eek:
    But their cruises on parts of old Rt 66 were fun.

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Now that was good :D

21. I know id like to buy it......

22. Good lord this was difficult to read. With the "humor" and 98% of the technical knowhow being completely wrong and bullshit. All we know is its a well built 350, more than likely 4 bolt, with ealry straight plug camel humps with lots of good parts from back in the day. Good score. I would love to have in my '62 Belair Im about to start on.

23. Lippy, from memory I think only the 3310-1 was 780cfm, starting with 3310-2, they were all 750. As you said I think all the 3310 carbs had the center inlet fuel bowls. I ran a 3310-1 since I was 18 for many many years on my '68 Camaro.

Hans

24. Truckedup

Truckedup

You got that shit right! The usual slam here being it's just another boring SBC with MoeFuz remarking the cams lobes fall off all the time.:D
    But instead we have 11 pages of opinions,some humor,and FalconGeorge and a few other guys who really know or at least remember what they read in the past.I read all 11 pages!!!

25. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Just keep the dam motor. It has family history. Id kill to have somthing like that passed down to me. Or atleast have a hamb auction so some that would apreciate what it is gets it. Thats just what I think so whats it matter.

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Part numbers can only tell you what the piece was intended to be used for. I've known a couple of guys that used 350 pistons with a 302 or 327 crank so they could use longer rods to cut down the rod angle and achieve high compression ratios in high revving engines. This was usually done to stay within displacement rules in racing classes.

27. Larry T

Larry T

Could be, but I'm still guessing the is a good "TRW engine" with a steel 350 crank. Pretty standard set up for the time, without the added expense of custom rods.

As long as I'm speculating, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't find a VIN number. There isn't a lot of sense in O-ringing the block without zero decking it first. And that would probably remove the VIN from the deck.

28. sheltonk7

sheltonk7

It a 350 block 327 small journal crank with bearing spacers,6 inch rods out of a 350 Oldsmobile :p

29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

He called me Sir...:D...now where's the pics?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

An LT-1 would not have 462's, You can actually see the casting number on the bottom of the intake port in one of the photos, not that you need it to id 462's. No accessory bolts in conjunction with the relieved area behind the plug pretty much close the deal, and waddayacare correctly id'ed the heads on the first page. If it were an LT-1, it would most likely have 186's, and the heads would certainly have the accessory bolt holes in the ends of the heads.
    Really, theres no mystery here, its not a 327, its not an LT-1, its a 350 with early camel bumps, LT-1 pop-tops, and a Torker. I built (And I'm sure lots of other guys on here did too) dozens of these in the late seventies and early eighties, although I generally used a tarantula and a bigger carb. Its a nicely built, bread and butter street/strip 350 from the seventies. We called them "TRW motors". Its really cool, pretty neat, and takes me back to the days of my youth, but theres no mystery here, unless guys feel the need to mythologize it.
    MrmodelT, when you go look at it, make a note of the list number on the airhorn and post it. I would guess its a 600, most likely a list #6619. Its not a 780, they had dogleg boosters, this carb clearly has nozzle bar boosters. It COULD also be a list #R4609 735 off a 428CJ, I used to sometimes use those on these motors,they worked fairly well, and at that time werent that hard to find, as most 428 guys went to a bigger carb. If it IS, its worth SERIOUS coin now.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012