Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small block Chevy guys...what do I have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Oct 15, 2012.

1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

My mistake - my book only shows 0010 as a 350

A 302 would be a killer score. Second would be a 327 with a steel lg journal crank

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Also take pics and measure the width of the engine suffix code pad located on the front of the engine right below the passenger side head. Blocks from the '60's and '70's had a 4" long pad...early engines had a 3" pad...and late model blocks had a 1 3/4" pad...approximately.

This 3970010 block was produced from late 1968 to 1979. If there are no numbers stamped on the suffix code pad, at least the length of the pad could help identify the year also.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. MrModelT

MrModelT

I will try to did up some more numbers and maybe a peak inside at the bottom end of this mill real soon then....hopefully I can get a more complete idea of what I have here.

I also have some photos of this motor in the Shelby taken some time in the '70s....will try to get them scanned and up here too.

I have to agree...I bet that cam is HUGE :D

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

I will measure this for sure. It does show in the photos I posted however and looks to be long...a bit shorter then the width of the heads.

5. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Can you get the #'s off the left front sie pad just below the #1 cyl on the block?

I ran that piston 7009 p/n, & it looks like an original 1970 LT-1 high comp piston. If that's the case, steel crank & pink rods - killer stuff!!!!

Can you read the carb & distributor #'s

If it's a delco distributor cap, does it give a pat. # or "pat pending"

Real LT-1 stuff is rare

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  6. Drive Em

Drive Em

Bingo!!! there is no way it could be anything other than a 350 unless someone installed some weird rod lengths in it.

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ford my ass fulie heads 202.s could be a 283 327 ,,,sweet motor ,I dont know a price though....Looks about 12 or 13 to 1 with those pistons .Race motor

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I went back and looked at the pics closer and you are right...it's got a long pad which tells me it is a 350 block made from 1968 to 1972. Only the date code I asked for will tell for sure. Also wish the suffix code was still on the pad.

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The day has come....the day that a 350 block is a "score".....

The block is red....the heads and water pump are a different color....that should tell you something right there...it's a just 350 with 327 heads and short water pump......but ya've got some "pop" on those pistons...and I bet theres a big cam inthere considering the O-ringed block. Pull the VCs...should be screwin studs and guide plates...maybe some roller rockers too.

I built a similar motor for my T...:D

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  10. Is it possible that someone put older heads on a newer block? :rolleyes:

11. Yeah..... He ran out of paint! :rolleyes:

12. Deuces

Deuces

It's a '69-'72 LT-1....;):rolleyes:

13. Deuces

Deuces

The 462's are 65cc heads...

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

The motors cool, hopefully we'll get more information...I'd like to hear more about his twisted sense of humor to put the Chev in Shelby.....or was he really pissed about the Ford motor??

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since you have the heads off, what kind of rocker arms does it have? And are the lifters solids or hydraulic? Roller lifters? I'm just curious about the valvetrain, but from what I've seen so far that is one hell of a motor your Grandpa had. I built a very similar one and had it in a 1973 Nova. That car was a handful to keep pointed in the direction you wanted to go when you put your foot in it. I eventually put the motor in a '40 Ford pickup and sold it to a friend in Iowa, who still drives it.

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If nothing else , this thread should show how much DISinformation there is .....even on the hamb!!!!

dave

17. Deuces

Deuces

Bingo! You win a stogie...:D

18. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Check here also...

Attached Files:

• 350.JPG
      350.JPG
      File size:
      469.5 KB
      Views:
  19. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

WOW.... What a bunch of hooey over a pretty common 350.. LOL
    010 block is 350.
    No road draft tube hole ( look at the pics ! ) so its a large journal engine.
    piston part # 7009 tells the story
    so its a 350 with double hump heads and 2.02 intake valves .
    Take a look at the back of the crankshaft where the flywheel bolts up. You can see the parting line..if its a real thin, sharp line its cast. If its wide and flat its forged.
    Garden variety 350 decent engine IMO,,
    No big deal, and yes..I wish my grandpa had left me one just like it !
    Dave

20. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Is there a CTK or CTU stamp on the block pad?

I'm guessing it's a 70 LT-1

Not garden variety by any means

Deuces likes this.
  21. Larry T

Larry T

7009P is the TRW number for a 350/12.5:1 piston.

The 462 heads look like they have 2.02 valves, but I don't see the machining that was done to unshroud the chamber on the outside of the intake valve so it's probably gonna be the standard 1.94 heads that have had the bigger valves installed. I'll bet if you flip the head over, it has screw in studs or at least has the studs pinned.

Just a guess, but the way the rest of the engine looks, it wouldn't suprise me if the bottom end has pink rods, steel crank and is balanced. Pretty standard stuff for a good engine in the 70's.

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

You are just making an assumption. Give the kid a break and let him find out what his Grandpa's engine is. He'll post the pics and they will tell the world if you are the Supreme God and All Knower of Chevrolet Engines and you were right that it's a common 350...or if it's a real LT-1 block...my 2 cents, I could be wrong.

23. Deuces

Deuces

No more games... The vin will tell the truth..

24. Larry T

Larry T

Since it has aftermarket pistons (the 7009s will only work with a 350 crank. Yea I know it could have different length rods, but I'd bet money it doesn't) and earlier heads I don't think the VIN will make much difference. You can build as good a hotrod engine out of a truck block as you can out of a Corvette piece.

If you really want to know what you have, pull the pan and get the crank number. Might be nice to know if it has a windage tray too.

25. Or it has 8 sleeves in it... :D

26. SHHH... You're gonna make people jealous. :eek:

27. Deuces

Deuces

I always started my builds with a '70-'71 Chevy/ GMC 350 truck block.. I used to buy those 350s at 100 bucks a pop...That was so many moons ago...:(:eek:
    I got lucky with those... They all came with a steel crank, Heavy duty X er O truck rods and 4-bolt "010" blocks

28. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not trying to steal the thread but back in the day I owned a 56 Chevy Bel Air 2 door post, V8 three speed. This was before 327's even existed. Bought the car used and knew nothing about the engine. I assumed it was a 265 with a four barrel and dual exhaust. Took it to the drag strip to run a stock class. At the tech inspection I was accused of cheating and told I had to run D/G because the block had that square little plug by the water pump. What is the deal of the plug? The engine in this thread also has this plug.

29. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey
    from Moline IL

From what I know, it is a hold-over from the original 265 casting - that hole is tied to the front cam bearing/lifter gallery and it's where they plumbed in the 'pressure' side of the bypass oil filter (the 55 265's did not have the casting on the side of the block for the full flow canister, and the bypass filter was an option).

30. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Larry, I think you missed the point of my post....
    I do not claim to be any kind of expert , just a guy who has built and worked on hundreds of small block chevys over the last few decades.
    350 with 12.5 to 1 & double hump heads& holley carb was the gold standard for oval track motors for a very long time.
    I wish my grandpa had left me an engine like that !
    Dave