Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods slow to start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southern thunder, Jul 9, 2016.

1. southern thunder

southern thunder

Hey Guys, last week I posted about my 64 chevy pu with a 350 in it. It wouldn't start after driving it around for about 20 minutes or so. but when it cooled off the next day, it fired right up. You guys said to check the ignition, coil, etc. so I went and put a new msd dist, in it. and it seemed to fix the problem. It was slow to start as if a low battery, or maybe 15 to 1 comp. or something like that. it was slow to turn over. The battery is new, got a full charge on it. I got it cranked, and let it run for about 15 to 20 minutes, to make sure it was hot. shut it off, let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes, and tried to crank it. Again it was slow to turn over, like the timing was way high on it, any way I got it started again, so I think the ignition problem is solved ( or not) but whats with the slow to turn over? maybe a bad starter?? help again please guys.

2. Could be a bad ground, or a bad starter or even heat soak from the exhaust. I struggled with a stock starter on a 350 for a while once. tried a heat blanket, remote solenoid, cleaned everything ran extra grounds. Finally I took the professionally rebuilt starter apart myself and found a cracked field.

Could be any number of things, up to and including a weak battery. Check and or rectify one thing at a time until you solve the problem. Start at the outside and work your way in.

3. southern thunder

southern thunder

4. southern thunder

southern thunder

as for a bad ground, wouldn't bolting it to the block ground it? with ground straps from the motor to the body( already in place) do that??

5. Dirt and corrosion will make even a stock one start poorly.

6. southern thunder

southern thunder

Thanks for the help PB

7. Did you try retarding the initial timing a bit to see if it would then crank over faster? o_O Or pull all the plugs out and see how it cranks over.

8. southern thunder

southern thunder

I did retard the timing, didn't help. did not pull the plugs. I'll try that tomorrow. thanks guys

9. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Headers? sounds like heat soak. Starters just turn awfully slow when they get hot.

10. belair_54

belair_54
    from australia

Probaly not related to your starter motor issues but may make starting easier, on the stock chevy starter motor solenoid there is a terminal that supplies voltage to the coil during starting its usually never used. I had an issue with my 34 chev roadster running a 350 after wiring this terminal to my coil it would fire up straight away.

http://www.grumpysperformance.com/starterconnectA.jpg

11. southern thunder

southern thunder

Thanks for the info. I will do that.