Register now to get rid of these ads!

slip yoke question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50styleline, Feb 22, 2014.

1. 50styleline

50styleline

This is going on my 50 styleline with 200 4r. I am converting to open drive. Trying to figure out the length of drive shaft needed. I know there is a need for a 3/4 to one inch gap so the slip yoke does not bottom out but how much of the yoke is needed to ride on the tranny shaft. There were some with a close enough length on the drive shaft itself but they had a really short slip yoke and I just wasn't sure about buying one till I figured this out.

2. squirrel

squirrel

The further in it is, the more stable it will be. 3/4 to one inch is a good place to be.

The yoke for that transmission is a short one, you need a long enough drive shaft to get it to go in far enough.

3. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

The shop you get to do your driveshaft will tell you how they want you to measure.
    Gregg

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From my personal experience when I first got my 48 together and was on my way to the Street rod nationals in Tulsa in 1973 having the yoke too far out of the tail housing and bushing gives the driveshaft a chance to shake a bit and eat up the bushing.

One thing, if you are driveshaft hunting in the wrecking yard and it looks like you are rather than having one built there may be several driveshafts that use the same cross so you can swap the yokes around and make up one that works.

5. 50styleline

50styleline

Found what I think should be good,,,your thoughts are appreciated. Tail shaft to rear yoke measures 56 1/2". Drive shaft goes on with just enough clearance then slides back onto rear yoke, This gives maybe 3/4" for movement, I am tempted to unbolt the rear end and check for clearance if the car should ever bottom out.

6. squirrel

squirrel

should be ok...

7. 50styleline

50styleline

Thanks for all the input