Register now to get rid of these ads!

slim muffler options for inline 6?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stick6coupe, Apr 2, 2013.

1. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Tossed a set of thrush glasspacks on the coupe for the time being, instead of trying a set of Harley baffles. I kinda dig being able to sneak around with a mellow idle and cruise, but, they chirp around 1200-1400 on decel- bad- sounds like s**t! Its a hopped up 250 chevy, split header, and 2 1/4" pipes run parallel down the drivers side and dump at the axle, so I dont have much room for a fat muffler...the 3.5" o.d. on the thrush's are the max.
    What's gonna give me a good rumble, without the bird chirp garbage...or better yet, is there a way I can get rid of that? Internet search says Im not the only one who has had this chirp problem when installing thrush packs on something other than a V8...and you know they cant put anything on the internet that isnt true;)

2. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

I run 2" thrush turbos on my 200 cube tri-power inline ford. they sound good and I get alot of compliments. here is a vid of the engine idleing and one at full throttle. Most are suprised to see a six under the hood after they heard it run. neither are the best sound quality .... the vid was taken with my cell phone.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lVlo4vn0-kY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> .

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/05J3NG_vrE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  3. Look at a company called Stainless Works. They have what they call a chambered muffler..... Similar to what was on a '69 Camaro. It's very slender and you can pick your length and tubing diameter.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

That falcon sounds NICE! Wish I had room for a set of mufflers like that.
    Been looking into the chambered mufflers, but Ive heard some that have a sweet rumble and some that are way too nasty, raspy and sharp for me. Just not sure which ones are which.
    thanks for the help guys.

5. pdq67

pdq67

Will "Smithies" fit?

pdq67

6. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

PORTERS!

Had them on my flathead six, popped like hell before with no pipes, After pipes no more popping. I staggered mine apart a bit.

Glass packs on my other car, pops really bad going down hills or using the gears to slow down.

7. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

8. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

check spintech mufflers

9. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Looked at some Porters yesterday at Charlotte auto fair...holy crap thats a heavy duty muffler. The Smithys were nice too but no 2 1/4". Might have to blow the dust of the wallet and just get the Porters. Anyone have an inline 6/split header sound clip with Porters?

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

11. supervert

supervert

why dont you try a balance tube before you go to the trouble of swapping muffs.

mine sounds raspy right now too. just about the same setup as yours, but on a flathead sixer. mine sounds nice at low rpms, but sounds like a pissed off honda when you get on it. mine is getting the h-pipe next time it goes back on the lift.

12. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Its not the raspy, pissed off bumblebee sound I dont like, its the chirp chirp chirp on decel when the rpms are coming down. Sounds like a cross between a flock of birds and a blown head gasket on an evo Harley.
    Just found brockman mellowtones. Wallet says yes. Inliners say yes. Winners?

13. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

Narrowed it down to porters or brockmans after seeing what the inline crowd liked on their split 6 rides. Wallet made the decision, and the coupe is now rolling with a new pair of brockman steelpack mellowtones, side by side, dumped in front of the left rear. Absolutely love em! Thanks again hamb'rs!

14. 50 Ragtop

50 Ragtop

Can you post a vid of how your's now sounds? I plan to run a 250 also but don't like the raspy sound.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would also like to hear the Brockmans,I have short glasspacks on my 37 Chevy p/u with a 235 and Fentons and they are a little too noisy now that I music in it.

16. stick6coupe

stick6coupe

here ya go fellas. Ill try to do a better video with some revs later. It has a much more powerful, sharp sound than the glasspacks when revved up, but doesnt rap, probably due to the short tailpipes. It is definitely louder at idle and cruise, but not offensive. I absolutely love em![​IMG]