Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Slim Jim help needed! '61 Olds TV linkage issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57JoeFoMoPar, Apr 25, 2019.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Hey all, I just bought a 61 Olds with a Slim Jim Roto Hydramatic. It has a Holley carb on the stock 394 now, but the TV linkage is definitely not adjusted properly. It's giving me a tire-chirping, neck snapping shift from 1-2, even under light throttle, and then an indiscernible shift from 2-3. It will not kick down at WOT in cruising speed. Since I just got the car and don't have the factory linkage to cross reference, I'm trying to make rhyme or reason of it. I don't even know if it's pushing or pulling in the right direction. Does anyone have any pictures of a stock, 1961 Olds throttle linkage and TV linkage mount? If I know what came from the factory I can recreate it on this Holley.

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

None of the linkage is original or just up at the carb?

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's basically just from the carb to the bell-crank on the back of the engine that's fabricated. All the rest of it is factory.

Seems the Quadrajet and the Holley have different bosses on the throttle, which equates to different TV linkage travel. As it is now, both the throttle and the TV linkage are attached above the throttle blade shaft, which means as the throttle opens, the TV linkage moves in a rearward direction, along with the throttle. But I have seen a picture with a Q-jet that has the TV linkage on the bottom, which would mean as the throttle opens, the TV linkage would pull forwards. But I have no frame of reference as to what is right.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try it on the bottom. That's why replace ment carbs have them. If stock was on the bottom, and most GM transmissions were. Normally fine adjustment was with a turnbuckle looking device or a threaded square block with a pin sticking out and a washer and cotter pint thru a rubber bashing. Good luck.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

I would also try it on the bottom. There are some real knowledgable people on here. I have limited experience. I didn't have your car but mine always ran right when everything was sitting at rest. (no pull on anything at idle) and it was connected at the bottom of my carb. Had a newer Edelbrock.

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  6. BJR

BJR

If I was in your position, I would get a factory shop manual. Everything you want to know is in there with pictures.

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

With the throttle closed the lever on the trans should all the way to the rear.

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Been messing with it tonight. The 1-2 shift is much softer, but now it's holding first too long before shifting to second. But it's getting closer. I also need to extend the throttle linkage rod because it's rubbing on the TV linkage and causing the throttle to stick a bit.

wvenfield likes this.
  9. BigJim394

BigJim394

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Here is a pic from a Motor Manual from 1969, that only goes back to 1963, maybe it can be of help. 20190425_214201.jpg

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's actually a huge help, thanks so much for posting that. It should be the same setup as the 61

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I should have included this also, this is the complete adjustment instructions per the same manual. 20190426_095147.jpg