Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slightly OT- who can ID these pics from Ontario Motor Speedway?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steves32, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

These pics were found in a folder from a bunch of stuff my FIL (RIP 20 years ago) had in a storage unit. It's labeled Ontario Motor Speedway, photographer Richard George. FIL & Richard were friends & neighbors years ago. They are all 8x10 prints on Kodak paper. I should know this stuff but am having brain fade at the moment. Looking for names of those in pics, when, whatever info you have. I would also like any info on Richard George if you have it. I'm guessing he's passed away by now as my FIL would be in his early 90's by now if still alive.

All photos are stamped & most have negative numbers.
    Here's the stamp. Many seem to be possably same year shot at the Speedway.

[​IMG]

1st picture I do know. That's a young looking Bobby Unser in the #2 Olsonite Eagle. Year unknown.
    [​IMG]

#2 pic- Swede Savage.
    [​IMG]

#3 pic Is the #4 Vels Parnelli Jones Viceroy Special created by Maurice Phillipe w/ Al Unser behind the wheel. Year?
    [​IMG]

#4 is Johnny Rutherford in a McLaren
    [​IMG]

#5 STP Special in the winners circle at Ontario. Looks like Andy Granatelli, driver Wally Dallenbach? Year? The bricks under the car are from the original Indy Speedway. Wonder where they are now?
    [​IMG]

#6 Vels Parnelli Jones Racing Mario Andretti is driver, Al Unser next to him & Parnelli Jones in front of car.
    [​IMG]

#7 Very cool shot. Still looks like Ontario. Probably a restoration or recreation of the origional? Driver pretty old. Need help here- I'm shooting blanks. The car- not the plane funny guys. ;)
    [​IMG]

#8 The only Nascar one in the bunch. Cale Yarborough's Monte Carlo at Riverside Raceway.
    [​IMG]

Soooo- what info can you fill in?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. Almost looks like "Cale Yarborough" on top of the stocker... Kinda looks like his beak under the visor, too. Found this later pic with the same # and sponsorship...
    [​IMG]

Yes that is Parnelli in front of the Viceroy car.

3. 2002p51

2002p51

In the last photo, the Monte Carlo is being driven by Cale Yarborough and was shot at Riverside.

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

BTW- The second pic is Swede Savage.

6. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'll go back & insert correct info above the pics. Appreciate the help!!

7. Very cool photos. Love the black and whites.

8. You should post this on our sister site DOGFIGHT!

9. Shot # 7 looks like a late 20s Alfa Romeo. Great pics by the way!

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think #7 was the Peugeot that used to be in the Briggs Cunningham Museum in Costa Mesa. John Burgess, the curator at Cunningham's, frequently exercised their cars, but I don't think the driver looks like Burgess.

11. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Andre Boillot drove a #14 Peugeot in the 1921 Indy 500 race but went out at lap 41 due to engine problems. Ring a bell? Can't find a pic though.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Peugeot actually won Indy in 1913, 1916, and 1919, but I don't know if Cunningham's car was any of these -- memory says that his was a '14.

The Peugeot cylinder head design was copied by Harry Miller for his own famous engines and, ultimately, for the Offenhauser as well.

13. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

14. Thanks for the pictures, brings plenty of memories of those times. The Cunningham Museum was really special - cars that were also ready to drive. Collier has many of the best from that group and follows the same approach of restoring and driving. Enjoyed seeing the cars in both places.

15. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I'm certain the airplane in pic #7 is the Curtiss Pusher is a replica that was owned by Frank Tallman, built by John Pruett. Tallman has been gone for many years. this airplane was actively flown at air shows during the '60s and maybe into the '70s, but I doubt any later than that.
    I'd guess the picture was staged during the mid '60s.

16. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Thanks for the pics Steve. Nice

17. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Without digging out the old programs or slides I think that photo #3 is 1972, #4 is 1974, #5 is 1973. I do not remember Mario running number 6, but it was awhile back and I have killed some neurons since then.

18. I've stared at this comment for 5 minutes and can't, for the life of me, figure out what the hell it means??? Is it constructive, or negative? I cannot believe anyone would think Steve's wonderful pictures of vintage Indy cars don't fit this board.

19. Dean, take a peek at the very bottom of the page, in the line that starts with ATOMIC INDUSTRY.

20. OK, I guess it was constructive. The later post that referred to the pics being O/T threw me.

21. mow too much

mow too much

Great pictures Steve thanks for sharing, who doesn't love older Indy car pictures.

22. Thanks Steve. Nice pics.

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Well, Steve (bitchin photos btw!), if it's any help. Swede died in 1973 after his crash at Indy, but got his bell rung real bad at OMS in the Questar GP (the race where they raced F5000 vs. F1 cars) that was won by Mario in a Ferrari.
    So, that photo of him would be '70-'73...

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

....and the Rutherford car is the one he won Indy with in 1974....

25. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

The Swede Savage photo was shot in December of 1972. Turns out it's a pretty famous photo & I have 2 w/ the photographer's stamp on the back. Swede died at Indy in 1973 so it's probably his last publicity shot.
    Sad. He was only 26 years old.

26. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I read an article yesterday- can't find it now. A single collector bought the entire Briggs Cunningham collection & they went to Florida. The guy was going to build a museum or garage to house the 80 something cars. Maybe the Peugeot is still in the collection.

27. All part of the Collier collection in Naples. At one time it was open to the public - not sure now, perhaps by appointment. All fine vehicles that are able to be driven and often are at various events.

28. Driver McWheelman

Driver McWheelman

Steves 32- That is Wally Dallenbach Sr. at Ontario- He is doing well and has recently been inducted into the Colorado Motorsports Hall of fame as well as the New Jersey Motorsports hall of fame.