Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slightly OT question RE: '68 Impala

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Randy D, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Randy D

Randy D

I know its not exactly a Hot Rod or Kustom,....... but can you tell if a 1968 Impala is, in fact, a SS by looking at the VIN? Or are there other features that are SS only items? Thanks in advance!

2. skipperman

skipperman

It will have the code for bucket seats on the trim tag ..... go to www.348-409.com ... you can run the VIN there and the trim tag ...... that would be the first step also--go to chevytalk.org .......

Jersey Skip

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

My Dad bought one new for my Mother........so its been a long time....35 years........

Hers had disc brakes on the front, PB too.......
    12 bolt rear and a 427 with 400 Turbo. Has factory gauges......not idiot lights and it had a tach, console and bucket seats....

She did not want it (he bought it new as a surprise ..for her) .......so he sold it in 69 and got her a new Lincoln Mark III. (another car she did not really want :( ).

So . . . . She went and bought herself a 4 door 65 Malibu........like the she had before Dad surprised her with the 68 SS Impala.

WOMEN ?

http://www.chevytalk.com/ is a place better suited to answer this question..

;)

Skipperman types faster than I do........and has better info too......

4. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

In 68 the SS option was strictly an Impala trim package and does not show on the VIN. The package was available with any engine tranny combo and buckets could be deleted.

My 68 SS-396 ragtop is a 68K numbers matching with build sheet. It came with a bench seat and was bought by a woman.

The basic trim package includes a SS horn button insert and plate on the glovebox; trunk script, front fender script and 15" rallye wheels instead of the regular 14". Tach and gauge cluster were extra in all but the 427 which had its own hood.

If you can post the VIN and the code off the engine block I can tell you if they match at least.