Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slightly OT: HAMB for post-66 cars/musclecars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by don-vee, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Here are my two "gems".
    1997 Schwinn shopbike (Kustom black plexi Nametag)
    DSCN1233.jpg
    2002 Dynoglide (fancy-schmancy paintjob) more like a sunday cruiser.
    DSCN1231.jpg
    Plans for both, lace/flake paintjob. (I will be the king in West Hollywood then:D :D :D ), WWW, Radial tires, fake moondisks (snap ons), and airbags for the Dynoglide.

2. john56h

john56h

Muscle cars were the US auto manufacturers' response to the popularity of the hot rods and customs. The automakers recognized a market for high-powered, racing inspired cars and met demand with cars that the public wanted.

Insurance costs and fuel costs killed the Muscle cars. Hot rodding was never dead....it may have waned a bit, but obviously it is still alive and well.

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

They were faster than the average hotrod......anyone could buy a factory 'hotrod' when musclcars came out.....

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

I Merged the two Threads with HAMBers O/T cars, for now...

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

For the Historical Record when did NHRA ban the use of Pre 1949 bodies in favor of modern Detroit iron? That killed off a lot of racers and race cars.

6. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

The Stock, Super Stock and later the Pro Stock class system in the 60's pretty much took care of that. The older cars were pretty much confined into the Altered and Gasser classes. And those were cut back and phazed out to make more time for Funny Car, Pro Stock and Top Fuel only on Saturday and Sunday in big events in the 70's. Nowadays it's all about fitting things into the TV network timeslot.

You all already know what I'm driving every day and what I'm building. The HAMB is kinda touchy on some subjects. The only thing worse on here than a Street Rod is a Muscle Car. Several years ago I brought up the idea of an old time drag race, HAMB meet where like minded HAMBers could get together and have some fun.

While the HAMB Drags came about eventually, I was told in no uncertain terms in e-mails by several people here to shove my fucking muscle car up my ass and don't bring it anywhere near the event. I thought the HAMB was about traditional hot rodders. I guess I was wrong. Every year I've thought about going and just parking the Chevelle out on the road or bringing the coupe when I get it built. A bunch of people try to talk me into going every year. But that fuck you and your muscle car attitude got to me. I ran into one of these guys at Bonneville a couple years ago. He was driving fairly new japanese car. In the end, I've respected their wishes and never gone to a HAMB Drag. I've got some great friends here on the HAMB. Others piss me off at times. That's life. I can live with that.

I also tend to agree the board should for the most part be threads about traditional hot rods and customs and learning the skills to build them or the events pertaining to them. However, I don't think an occasional thread about what else HAMBers are interested in is NOT going to kill the HAMB. We've had threads about everything from volkswagons to airplanes to homestyles and the HAMB has survived.

7. hemi

hemi

It is funny when the walkabillies with a pile of parts in the garage bag on a musclecar that runs like they are hardcore.... too kewl 4 skool.

We have plenty of other OT threads that go on without grief... what was the house thread about? What's that got to do with hot rodding? Or the give prayers threads? Or the movie thread? I don't understand the "take it elsewhere" attitude from actual "car guys." Like we were tea-baggin scat or something...

I just like fast old cars that were made before I was born, and that was in the '70's... They are ALL old to me. :D

Just to keep this on a "traditional hot rod topic"... Anyone know a good paint to use to make my radials look like bias-ply whitewalls?

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hell yeah!
    Very few cars after '72 can capture my attention.........
    I'll bet a large chunk of us had/have musclecars...it's what made us car freaks (well, me anyway).
    I'll be buying and selling cars all my, but I'll NEVER sell my musclecar!

9. SO-AZ

SO-AZ
    from Tucson

Guess the topics not interesting enough for some of the Sinister thread police out there...Oh yea,
    1931 Ford pick-up
    1970 GS 455 Convert
    1967 Nova Gasser
    1987 Grand National
    and a 1974 big dick! :)

10. Geez and I got is a 70 GMC,,, guess I should be banned!

11. SO-AZ

SO-AZ
    from Tucson

Just kinda interesting ta' see what other cars fellow Hambers are into...

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I can't do the chalkmark on the control arm shit myself either, I have a 1970 Challenger that will fall far outside the restored crowd, eventually when I get around to it. Having too much fun with my other older junk right now.

13. john56h

john56h

I don't know if I qualify for "walkabilly status"....but my traditional car is a pile of parts right now and although progress continues, it probably won't be seeing the road this summer.

Fortunately, I have some of those pesky "non-HAMB" rides to give me my fix behind the wheel in the meantime. The way I see it, I get the best of both worlds.....a hot rod build, plus some cruisers and racers.

Also, I think it's kind of nice to have some variety in the vehicle stables. While it would be great to have an early Ford V-8 done up just right for the 50's hot rod style....would I want 5 or six of them? Personally, I'd rather have an example of each era of automotive styling. Give me an early 30's hot rod roadster, a late 30's stock restored coupe or sedan, a 40's fastback custom, a 50's convertible cruiser and a 60's muscle car and I'd be much happier than a garage full of 32 Fords.

14. tomslik

tomslik

you're kidding, right?

15. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Wow, interesting read. Must be that time of the month for a couple of folks on here, this is the third thread I've read today with folks bagging on someone for something.

Personally, I think the mods do a super job of modding the site...structure with flexibility. I've been on other sites (Performance Years) where the site is overmodded and it turns into a boring nightmare of nonsense. For the hardnosed type, they can always bypass the OT threads left by the mods.

I love old cars. That's it. I don't personally own anything post-72. I almost refuse to work on anything post 72 (except wife and daughter's stuff). My daily is a work provided 2006 Nissan Titan. My wife's daily is an 01 Sebring vert and the kids is a 92 BMW.

My sig has my stuff.

16. Squablow

Squablow

I don't see the harm in it. Some interesting responses already.

I have 3 cars that are post '64. A '73 Mercedes 220 diesel that I don't have a picture of,

A '72 GTO that was a hardtop until I cut the roof off and added the roof from a '69 Buick Skylark, kinda like what BobK did to his '52 but without the chop (bad pic, ignore the ugly bike in the foreground)

[​IMG]

And a '70 Cutlass convert. that we're hoping to get paint on by the end of the month. A real rusty shitbox, we replaced the hood, trunklid, both quarters, both doors, and the bottoms of the front fenders, not much original sheetmetal left. Rockers were cherry, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Scotch

Scotch

Well...there are 'other' HAMB-type boards here for bikes, right?

I get what you're saying, in that it would be cool to have a HAMB-style board for later-model cars. Something for more 'hands-on, low budget' guys. I get that.

I think it's a cool idea, but I like the HAMB we have for the early stuff. Maybe in addition to it, a separate board would be cool.

FYI, I have a '67 Chevelle wagon and a '65 GTO clone in addition to my '50 Buick. They are both modified for increased performance and style too.

I've always found it interesting that dragsters from the early '70s are cool here, but cars from the same period are not. Go figure...

Anyway, I love the HAMB and especially the HAMB'ers who make it cool. If there were a 'sister' site for musclecar guys, I'd be there too.

~Scotch~

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

Here are my O/T cars.

Fiat Abarth 1000TC.
    The car I grew up with, and did most of my racing in.

Jasag Clubmans Racer.
    Built in Elgin, Scotland.
    In need of full restoration, and/or modifications to fit whatever class I'll run it in.

Mercury Capri.
    Looks wise it wil be a clone of the FIA Group2 racers I saw in action when I was a kid.
    Under the skin it will be a Hot Rod ( Racefab built SBC with Webers, Super T10, 9", etc...)

Attached Files:

19. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

check out www.bigblockdart.com, i think its the best damn site on the net. people hang there that dont even own an a-body mopar. the site owner and fabricator of many mopar chassis parts is even in your area. ive been a member there since the forum was established. i have a 67 dart 2 dr sedan and a 69 dart swinger, both with bigblocks, 727s and danas. my brother also has a 68 barracuda. im new to the old car scene, came from the muscle car world. looking to sell my 67 to fund my 31 essex.

20. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

49 Merc
    46 Kit teardrop #25 oh yea its legit..
    56 chopped bug
    58 ford gasser project
    63 Nova SS 350/350
    64 Galaxie r-code
    66 Fairlane 500 390 4-speed
    66 Fairlane Gt convertable
    66 Fairlane Gta convertable
    66 Ranchero 289 auto
    67 Ranchero 390 4-speed
    76 F250 Highboy
    84 Ranger (Desert race truck)
    6 Offroad buggies

And get this I've sold 11 bugs in the last two years and still have about 6 to go..and their not my off road buggies..lol

21. hemi

hemi

A focused Day 2 board would rule!!!

I'm half way there.... I even installed a set of NOS Thrush Turbo 400 mufflers that are older than I am...

[​IMG]

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Most of y'all have seen my chevelle before, but here's a pic for the newbies.

I like to think it has that same HAMB attitude. I've had it since '79. Dad has a twin sister to it as well, but red interior.

I will always love '67 chevelles, even though the convertible gets stuck at home in the garage more often than she deserves. I also have a wagon and my Dad also has 2 SS hardtops.

You see, we are very narrow minded... '67 chevelles and '36 Fords. hahahaha! :D

[​IMG]

Dad's...

[​IMG]

Me and the convertible in '79..

[​IMG]

My hardtop during my sophomore year ('87)...

[​IMG]

23. hemi

hemi

[​IMG]

Are those Sypders on the back??

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Very nice Chevelle's! My wife's been bugging me to build her one.....a '66 or '67.....her favorite car.....
    I guess I might as well post my MC......shoulda kept the 442....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Vette ralleyes in the back, with original Americans on the front. Still have both complete sets.

26. sean72

sean72

Some cool cars fellas! Django I love Chevelles, that's so cool you and Dad have matching convertibles. My Dad's daily driver is a '64 El Camino that he's had since '79. Here's a pic of my first car, a 1972 Chevelle. Next year will be 20 years of owner her. I have a new LS-6 big block almost ready to toss in. I am not a numbers guy and can't do the pro-touring thing.

Sean

Attached Files:

27. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also had a 97 camaro ss with a 6 speed. Blast to drive.

Sunday I drove a 30 Ford Roadster with the top down on a cold Easter day that was as much fun to drive. I do admit that the transmission in the 97 shifted a tad bit smoother than the A. However, crossing the two foot ditch in the A would never have been possible in the Camaro. I wasn't driving when that happened.

28. Eddie's chop shop

Eddie's chop shop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't help it. OT for sure, but it'll scare the shit out of you!! Closest to lb for lb to formula one as you can get!

29. Here's what I have. One fits the criteria here the other is my daily driver and is too new for the this board.

Project: 1960 Chrysler Windsor with a 383 Golden Lion Edition.
    Daily: 1977 Ford Thunderbird Towne-Landau I would like to find parts for this car but can hardly find them and if I do they cost a bundle. Oh well I guess that's what happens when your into cars.

Attached Files: