Register now to get rid of these ads!

-Slightly O/TRumor Control and a Life Change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimA, Oct 17, 2006.

1. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I have been on the HAMB since before I was ever on the staff of a Rodding magazine when I was still just dreaming of it and I have always kept the HAMB community (whether anyone cared or not) up on my accomplishments. From day one with my "Redondo Rodder" screen name I dreamed of putting together my own rodding magazine. Some people didn't like the annonymity and "JimA" (my real name) was born. Not too long after that I got to do some work for The Rodder's Journal and I could not have ever dreamed that day would actually happen.
    Soon after that I got the job with the Goodguys running the Goodguys Gazette and tried as hard as I could to inject as much of my traditional feelings into that magazine and put a HAMB friendly car on every page if possible. Other HAMB additions I made to that magazine were Roger Jetter with his great column and eventually bringing KIRK! into the fold after he answered a HAMB request with Slazzen to unload my latest shipment of junk. That was an amazing couple of years where I got to meet a ton of HAMBers all over the country and make friendships that will last a lifetime. Something that seems funny now as the GG becomes more "HAMB friendly" is that I once had all my internet access removed while working for the Goodguys for spending too much time on that "Hokey Ass deal".
    That chapter closed as another opened when Rod & Custom Magazine came after me and it was all too welcome to think of working for the very magazine I learned how to read out of and be reunited with my family that I was working 400 miles from pretty much all year except 20 weekends. Things were great at R&C, but a coorporate decision has ended our relationship today. It's strictly a bean counting deal so I'm actually not totally bummed as I would be if it were a "performance issue" or bad blood with my co-workers that I greatly enjoy and look forward to working with in the future.
    So there it is- just wanted to keep my HAMB friends up on what's going on and answer some of the questions once you don't see my name on the R&C masthead anymore.
    Right now I'm very much looking forward to some new opprotunities I hadn't fully explored when I was happily turning in stories to my favorite magazine. I'll let you know what happens next! Thanks Jim

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

wow, R&C is sure gonna miss you Jim. Seems ever since you took control the quality has gone way up, both in the articles and the reflection of the tastes of the traditional rodder and kustomizer in the print and cars covered. Hopefully R&C can carry on in your footsteps. Best of luck in your future endeavors

3. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

well Jim, you'll never have a bean counting problem with the HAMB...Hope all goes well with you...I enjoyed your articles in R&C btw...

4. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Sorry to hear the news......On to bigger and better things....Good luck!

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good Luck Bro. You'll make out ok.

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Jim your home is here and we appreciate you very much, if you start your own publication there are some awesome cars, creativity and people whom could help you with. Well as long as it is with tradition, good luck, Skip.

7. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Maybe KIRK! will hire ya to sweep the floors in his penthouse office!

:eek: :D

Just kiddin' Jim.

I enjoyed your time at GGG and R&C. Sorry to hear you'll not be there any longer.

8. Bugman

Bugman

Looking at your record so far, I can only assume you will continue to move up and suceed with you next endevor. Good luck Jim.

9. Dirty2

Dirty2

Sorry to hear this.. The best to ya .. Who knows what better things are in store for you.

10. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

My body of work speaks for itself. Thankfully I never had to write a story about a car or tech story I didn't believe in- all of them traditonal minded. I don't know anything else so look for me to stick to the topic. Thanks Jim

11. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I can't believe this. Jim let us know how things turn out. You really did give R&C its current feel.

Shoot I was looking forward to you coming to Austin and shooting some stuff.

12. Considering some of the crap I have seen featured and some stuff they have shot and never featured maybe you are better off.

Good luck man, hope you end up somewhere you want to be.

13. JamesG

JamesG

Maybe Boyds hiring...

Just kidding. Hate to hear this, you really gave R&C an over due face lift.

Good luck.

14. Good luck man.

You'll do well wherever you land.

JH

15. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Ive really been enjoying R&C lately, sorry the business end has to take the fun out of it, good luck to you in the future.

16. Never saw that one comming. Rodders Journal is calling on your other line! Hot Rod should be calling you too! Let us know where you go so I can get the subscription.

17. Rckt98

Rckt98

Sorry to read this. I subscribe to R&C & get it mailed to New Zealand every month. Am currently based in LA and one of the things I was hoping to do while here (as well as attend as many car events as possible) was call into the R & C office & maybe meet the guys that put out a Bloody Good Magazine. Have enjoyed your stuff in the mag as well as the threads on the HAMB.

18. Rolf

Rolf

Change usually happens for a reason...

I have never met you, but you seem to be a straight up guy, I am sure you will land in something better and bigger.

Best of luck !

Rolf

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

damn Jim, one of the other shiney pages will be callin, count on it. you're the tip of the sword man :cool:

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

like everyone else, you could just see the rag change as you and others took over...hope it stays on track..hell , it dont matter, when you decide to make your own rag, youll put them out of business!!!;) great luck in whatever ya decide!!!! todd:)

21. Packrat

Packrat

I've subscribed to R&C ever since it came back, 88 or 89? Thats what I dislike about these corporate magazines,their "revolving doors". I've enjoyed your work, be reading you in another mag soon.

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Good luck Jim and all the best.....

Jeff

23. Damn, that sucks. I guess the $30 I spent re-upping on Saturday didn't get there in time.

24. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Wow Jim! I really loved your story lines--I think because guys like you "get it". Some of these yahoos couldn't find a hot rod with both hands---magazine-types, I mean. I used to help out Jay Storer at times---an old R & C guy---do some of his tech stuff.I said I REALLY wanted to do what he did, do your passion for a job.I work for the County here in So Cal---and Jay said "stay put"--the magazine business can eat you up.So I did--stay put. I love my old cars and I think I do because of you and a select few who do it for way more than a paycheck. Hope you can stay in the street/hot rod side of magazine work--we need you!Best of luck to you, Jim.

25. Best of luck to ya...I really liked the direction R&C has been going recently and while I don't know the nuts and bolts behind the scenes, from what I've read, you played a big part in that. As cliched as it is, I hope that this door closing opens a bigger and better one.

Bryan

26. Scotch

Scotch

Be strong Amigo. Contact me if you want to do some freelance between gigs!

~Scotch~

27. Ah crap! I have been buying R&C since '97, your contribution to R&C has easily made the mag the best it has been in the 9 years I have been buying it!
    So thank you for your hard work & good luck with future pursuits!
    & I know the current staff will continue to do a great job in producing this iconic mag!
    cheers

28. Like everyone else has said Jim, your work on R&C has made it what it has become today, good luck in the future.

29. Thats one bean they shoulda kept......:D

I thought you were bringing R&C back up the..... slippery slope, Jim.
    Best of it all to you, in your next venture.....

30. Sorry to hear about that Jim. I have always been a critic of Primedia, but always enjoyed your work personally. I know you'll find something that you enjoy and those stuffed shirts at Primedia can stick it. I suppose they hired some pimple faced teeny bopper that can speak "Rat Rod" fluently so they can give R&C "more edge." :rolleyes: