Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slightly O/T Multiple Tool Boxes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hr31hr, Feb 6, 2009.

1. hr31hr

hr31hr
    from PA

I know this is more of a Garage Journal question but I did post it there with limited feedback. I think that from a fabrication standpoint I might be better to ask here. Here goes,
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Have any of you combined roller tool boxes into one unit? I have four separate ones and I am curious if anyone has made a frame or somehow joined them into one. NO sure if there is any benefit or liability. Pictures as always would be great.

2. I just picked up a copy of "How To Fabricate Damn Near Anything" out of the 5 buck bin at the book store and it has a step-by-step about building a caddy for various tool boxes, plus welding tanks and some extra shelves. Pretty cool, but you'd need a way bigger garage than I've got to justify hat.

3. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Yes I have.I bought 1 box that will fit all my tools and got rid of all the little ones.It was that simple.

4. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Why not just take the ideas from the book and scale them down to fit your garage space.

5. tdoty

tdoty

That's what I thought too. Now I'm considering upgrading my 41" box after adding an end cabinet. And that's just my box at work.

I have three 26" boxes at home, as well as another 41", 4 top boxes and 2 intermediates. Yep, I still have shit that I don't have a place for. I can honestly say that I think I finally have too many tools! The bad part is that I use all of them.

Build a frame out of 2x3/16" angle iron. Use flat strap for crossmembers and add a piece of 1" strap pointing down to stiffen it up. Buy good casters! 5" minumum, 6" would be preferred. Polyurethane over iron if possible, but rubberized casters would work too. We did this several times at work, as folks outgrew their boxes.

Tim D.

6. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Good thread!
    I bolted my boxes all together so as to slow a potential thief down.The garage is locked,but I leave the boxes all unlocked? Doesn't make much sense,somehows?

Categorizing stuff is the bear?
    I try to categorize by "Tap,Twist and Turn"
    It doesn't work....
    Anybody have any better idears?

7. 61TBird

61TBird

used all the time,used some of the time,used hardly at all

8. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Worked with a guy at United that combined 3 craftsman boxes. Made a frame out of angle iron. Boxes were all bolted together. They formed an "L" shape. I would guess it stood about 5' tall. He used 6 casters, 4 swiveled. It was hell bent for stout and was actually easer to load on our road trip truck then my Snap-on.

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Seems a bad idea in general. One of the basics of workspace design is modular/moveable items

Right now you can set them all side by side and it's essentially the same as if they were fastened.

However if something changes and you want to reconfigure, they're still unattached and can be moved at will. It sure seems you have the best of both worlds now.

Of course the HAMB probably has some awesome idea involving a straight up stack and a jet pack to reach the upper boxes. And knowing this place, it'll work really slick and prove me all wrong.

good luck either way.