Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sleepers! Anybody into sleepers here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by waaaypastredline, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brandon

brandon

thats the story..... saw the car minus the 500+" and turbo's, last fall at pioneer park car show. same color and stock looking wheels. a friend of mine worked at walton imports where it was towed to. he kept the stroker motor and sold it with the little motor. was told by another friend , that they had it on 75 out in dry ridge , rolling along at 60+ , and blew the tires off it :eek: pretty sure jeff cleveland was driving at the time

2. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Killer '58, but with those louvers you aren't fooling anyone :p!!

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

[​IMG]

hopped up 324 w/FACTORY stick shift. note the traction masters peaking out beneath the body. of course it has blackwalls and poverty caps, what would you expect?

4. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

bob...Man is that cool...

5. When I was in high school there was a shop in a little podunk town in our area. You know the type of shop I'm talking about quonset hut with the big roll up. Ratty looking sign over the door.

Ther was always a dark green Studebaker Champ parked near the door (a '53/54 starlight). It looked stock as a stovebolt, the paint had a dull sheen to it from being parked outside for 15 or so years no hubcaps skinny whites on the front and blackwalls on the rear. It belonged to the hired mechanic a 20 something sandy headed kid. he always told everyone it had a 283 in it. I can confirm that it was a small block with 2 4s and it was orange. I guess it could have been a 283 or ???

None of the locals would hook 'em up with him so he had to wait 'til some hotshot would come from out of town trying to take the locals for their beer money to race. I never saw him loose.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Used to have a little fun with my '77 F250 highrider 4x4 when it had the 427 in it- engine had run 10.80@126 in a fairly heavy Falcon. It would blow the 14-36.5 tires off at 35 in 3rd, used to tow my boat with it, sides of the boat were white- looked great, all you could see from the rear wheelwells back was a smoke cloud with a black Mercury outdrive at the end. Smoked a Don Johnson-type Joe Cool in a 911S with it one night, the "enhanced" blonde with him laughed her a$$ off.
    An old buddy was past his third 427 Cobra and on his second race GT40 around '78, and his dad had this '54 Tudor he'd had forever, had his built 312 out for a freshen, so they threw together a 427 MR from "parts on hand" from the truckload of stuff that they bought from a Holman Moody sale. New sideoiler block, nice set of MR's, a Shelby Dominator intake, and a stock 306/500 427 cam so it wouldn't rumble too bad. The car already had a '65 Shelby 3.89/Detroit Locker rearend, 3spd/OD, LTD disc brakes and 15" wheels, 40 gal gas tank in the trunk, faded original green paint, and some scruffy flat hubcaps with funky spinners. 'Ol Warren looked like Forrest Tucker and always wore beige Dickeys, looked like an old farmer with his elbow on the windowsill. That thing would pick up speed like a falling rock, raised hell with a few kids in Camaros- would have been a great likker car.
    At the same time, there was an infamous street racer in the Oakland area, known simply as "The Chrysler". Gutted '62 New Yorker with a built 440 & Torqueflite, 5.13 gears, and big meats on widened steel wheels, painted like Starsky & Hutch's Torino, with the stripe. Probably would have run out of breath about 1,000 ft at the strip, but was REAL tough to beat between stoplights

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I LIKE that!

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Got a shot form a lower angle? pretty hard to see much from there.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Local guy I knew, also owned other more "conventional" street racers, had a yellow Meyers manx with a corviar in it for a period of time that was rapid

10. RacerRick

RacerRick

How about a heavily juiced 379ci W2 stroker in a 74' Valiant 4 dr? On little 215/75R14's went low 11's on the motor. If you hit the first stage on those tires at the 1000ft mark it would incinerate them.

On slicks however....

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I agree! That is one nice, plane Jane, sleepermobile! Had a friend in high school whose father had a 53 Ford P/U truck, with a small canopy on the bed. Under the hood was a full-on 394 Oldsmobile with a genuine B & M Hydro Stick trans. Body was typical of the time, and it's white paint was dull, scratched up, small dents, and some rust. A total sleeper. It was his tow truck for his drag race Hudsons!There were three of us out cruising one night, and at a red light,a brand new, 1968 Plymouth Road Runner pulls along-side. He's revving the motor, and looking over at us in this old Ford truck. Light goes green, and the race is on; the Road Runner just gets tromped. I bet that guy was pretty upset about that, and we were laughing our heads off. The thing was, the truck had leaky brakes, and was always having to have fluid added. I kept thinking the brakes were'nt going to stop the thing......About 10 years ago I had a 1963 Chevy II Station Wagon I'd put a 327+.040, 340 HP short block, 461X heads that had been ported/polished, flat tappet cam, roller rockers, Edelbrock C3B intake with a 750 Holley DP carb; 4500 stall converter and one of my own, built Powerglides; 4.88 Positraction, and slapper traction bars. I still had the 4 bolt hubs, but Dutchman made the axles. Car was FAST, but the small brakes made for interesting high speed stops. The body was pretty much trashed. It sure made the 5.0 Mustang and Z-28 guys left looking silly. Kept the motor, but sold the car to a friend, who promptly wrecked it going too fast on a curvy road (the small brakes again). He hulked it out before I could get a few of the good parts back. What I'd like to find now is a 65-70 4 door Biscayne, and go the BBC/TH400/12 Bolt route. Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. lt1racing

lt1racing

[​IMG]
    "shawanda" big time street racer back in the day. (no roll bar, no subframe connectors and factory push button shifter).................8.7s!!!! in the 1/4!!!

13. chris55

chris55

Perfect..... What else can be said?

14. rick finch

rick finch

Kill the headers, crank the torsion bars back to level..........sleeper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Had lots of sleepers including the old 47 coupe in the avatar. Has a 383 stroker with cam, lifters, headers etc and does pretty well for a fat fender. My favorite was my 93 Miata with full race Flyin Miata Turbo motor. 300HP in the "girlie" car was a blast at the lights against most anything.

16. cruisin30

cruisin30
    from Katy, TX

Last pic didnt work so well so try again.

17. ok bob thats nice real nice

18. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

lEST

Attached Files:

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Used to be a faded white, 4 door,similar to this, than ran at Bremerton Raceway many years ago. It even had a trailer hitch receiver on it. NO decals, and steel wheels. Last time I saw the car, it was back on the street. SLEEPER! Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have that very car in my garage! That faded white paint is original! As is the interior. Built 400, now 512. Has run Hot Rod Drag Week the past three years. Will run deep into the elevens.

I don't know if I can get a photo or not, but will look

21. rick finch

rick finch

Stay away from this guy......'64 Sport Fury.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

[​IMG]

63 Biscyne 2 door post, 383/stick w/OD. Factory 3.73 gears
    radio delete, steelies with poverty caps.

notice the header dumps peeking out behind the front wheels.

24. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

Cool thread!! I had one more sleeper, had to dig out a photo and this is similar to the one...
    It was a 1955 F-100 with a Chrysler 413 and torqueflite and 3.91 gears! never strip tested, but it would run with my 12 second Coronet R/T and REALLY surprised the good ol' boys in Decatur, Ga in 1970!!!

That Chevy II in Hot Rod is the shit!!!

Attached Files:

25. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Not currently on my compute... the truck is in the garage hibernating till the snow melts.

26. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Heres my sleeper!

Attached Files:

• 176.jpg
      176.jpg
      File size:
      357.6 KB
      Views:
  27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

My dad's first car was a red '64 Sport Fury with "a 426 built by some local super stock team" and a 4-speed. It wasn't very sleepy, though, sporting Cragar GT wheels and eventually acid-dipped front sheetmetal.

-Dave

28. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I love sleepers. My avatar, the 42 Chevy currently has an Olds 350 that has surprised several people. I picked up an Olds 455 to swap in before summer after a mild refreshing. I think it will really surprise people then. I am painting it the gold that the 350 is painted, most of the people that would see it can't tell the difference between the tall deck engine and the "small" block. I can't wait to see how it runs with the 455. This is a great thread.

29. 21tat

21tat

I tried it a couple of times when she was sleepin'. Never turns out that well!

30. el shad

el shad

Just lube it up like a tiki torch. get a running start, and SURPRISE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.