Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sleeper or Hot Rod ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Oct 9, 2019.

1. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I'm an original east coast guy so I grew up loving sleepers, your truck is so neat but a little bright work wouldn't hurt any.

loudbang and exterminator like this.
  2. earlymopar

earlymopar

Along with the chrome changes suggested, IMO a headlight swap would make an already nice truck even better.

Headlights.JPG

VANDENPLAS, exterminator and pprather like this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've been a painter since I was 16 years old and now I'm 62, I've had plenty of vehicles with flames and custom paints. The thing I found was that I got tired of the fancy stuff very quickly but the simplest paint work stayed around for years. Change wheel and tires, exhaust system or interior trim to change it up.
    Even upgrade the red paint with a new cote works.
    Thats gotta be a fun ride!

rod1, ekimneirbo and exterminator like this.
  4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel beat me to it......I'd add chrome bumpers and door handles as well as more stock style chrome mirrors. It reminds me of a pickup the neighbor had in the early 50's, fond memories:)

exterminator likes this.
  5. exterminator

exterminator

Now days

Attached Files:

Tickety Boo, jnaki, swade41 and 5 others like this.
  6. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I love it!
    Just right!

exterminator likes this.
  7. I had to laugh at comments on this thread! " Add some chrome" " Factory handles". While I LIKE original, the usual comments/choice is to "lose the chrome. Nose and deck". Ain't the internet and old car/hotrod world grand?
    The original 2019 look was great, IMO. The subtle flames look good. ENJOY

Ben

exterminator and Budget36 like this.
  8. brady1929

brady1929

Very cool.

exterminator likes this.
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looked great before.
    But NOW she's got a little pizzazz. Just enough so nobody thinks it's stock.
    Very nice.

exterminator likes this.
  10. catdad49

catdad49

11. Those're some excellent added details. You have narrowed the focus more toward the 'Hot Rod' slice of the pie chart without having to shout too much about it. ;)
    But you've probably lost the Norman Rockwell crowd, the vintage pickup truck Christmas card cabal, and the whole state of Vermont where it's mandatory to drive around with a Christmas tree tossed in the back of vintage pickup trucks for the last 2 months of the year. :(

*No Vermonters were harmed in the production of the posted comments.
    Any wisecracks are intended purely as good-natured kidding around between friendly folks. :)

12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Nice truck.......like the sleeper look, but its a little mundane for my tastes.
    I'd start a folder on your computer and search for pictures of 40 pick-ups to save in it. Then you can sort thru it and compare things you see and how they look. Notice the small details that make one truck stand out from the others. Sometimes its hard to tell just what it is that makes the difference.

I like the idea of a sleeper ........but with subtle hints that it does have an alter-ego. I'd put some wider tires on the rear, and while doing so get some wider rims back there that get the sidewalls closer to the fenders. Having a lot of open space between a tire and fender just looks wrong (in my opinion). Moving to the front, I would also get the front tires closer to the fenders. Maybe chrome front bumper moved closer to the grille...........or none at all. Chrome door handles. I'd keep the basic look you have and just look for small details that can refine it. As for flames, I've seen many that I like........but most of them are too thick looking and end up not enhancing the vehicle. Personally, I no longer care for pin striping other than to accent paint separation or maybe a simple line or two to break up a large panel. Eventually they wear off in places. Again, you already have an excellent ride there, just find ways to refine what you have.:)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    exterminator likes this.
  13. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

Years ago at a gas station I saw a very nice '55 Chev, with the white-and-green paint scheme. It appeared to be bone stock, though it had slightly wider rear tires. But when the car was started could you hear the blower whine.

There are lots of gaudy cars out there, but not many really cool sleepers.

firstinsteele likes this.
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those rims and subtle flames look JUST RIGHT...it's a hot rod now!:cool:

exterminator likes this.