Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slant six guys?

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by REJ, Sep 22, 2010.

1. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

What type of oil pump gear are the slant guys running?
    Reason for the question is that I just wiped out a cam and oil pump gear on mine. It also took the distributor gear with it.
    Obviously I need to put some type of cam stop on it as it seems that the cam was walking back and forth and caused this carnage.
    Thanks, Robert

2. bobw

bobw

Robert,
    While I haven't assembled my "race" engine yet and have no first hand experience regarding the viability of it, I did buy a ported oil pump with a hardened gear. The hardened gear is supposed to eliminate the problem. The modified pump cost $100.

At least one serious slant six racer that posts on the Slantsix.org site uses an external belt driven oil pump.

3. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

bob, where did you purchase this pump?
    Thanks, Robert

4. bobw

bobw

I sent you a Private Message with the contact information. Good luck!

5. madmax/6

madmax/6

Hardened gear on a hardened nitrated cam does not work on a 300hp slant,trust me.My old motor around 200 rwhp with the hardened gear on a non nitrated cam showed no issues after over 150 runs.I now run external pump but dont think its a must.Think the hardness of cam and pump gear didnt play well together.Mark

6. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

7. hi from sydney australia

hi a run a high performance oil pump bought on ebay from the USA from mopartsdealer (thats his ebay I D Name) and also i purchased a 427 hemi oil pump spring, this gives my engine a constant 80 PSI oil pressure

my oil gauge even read 80psi with a sump full of water after it went bang in the HA/GR final at sydney dragway back in march this year

this pump is now in a fresh engine and still pumps out 80 psi