Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slant 6's......Are they 'the gun' factory engine?

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Drewfus, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Now that we've got the debut sorted, my mind has been getting sidetracked, as I've spoken with a number of interested 'old time racers', who all have drag racing history that I respect, to which they repeatedly say to me, "why the flatty?, how about the slant 6, it'll offer you the best bang for buck"......

Just as a bit of background info, my goal is to run a flatty in my HA/GR to get started, then put it into my 28 A rpu, relacing the engine with a slant 6 as I keep learning about them, and the more I read/see/hear, the more I think they offer the best bang for buck.

Now, not to loose sight of why we started, I choose the flatty, not because I wanted to stuff around, but because I sincerely that they suit the HA/GR period, and since QQMoon and I started 'sowing the seed's, I felt that it was 'proper' to represent the class with the flatty, lead by example.....

Anyhow, I've kinda failed as I never actually got mine finished, and whilst my car served a purpose on the debut, my mind is wandering....what if....?

Anyhow, I thought I'd ask your thoughts, as I repsect the knowledge and experience you guys offer, thanks in advance.

Note: My good friend Glenn (Ahotrod) is going far and beyond, and really helping me with some engine bits for the flatty, so it WILL have a racing debut with the flatty, but I'm also looking into the future as I really want to make an impact, be competitive later in the year, hence the slant question...

Cheers,

Drewfus

2. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

I do not know about them being the best to run. I'm running one because that is what I know and I have several engines to spare. As I have mentioned before, I would love to run a flattie, but I do not have that kind of money to put in to one of these cars.
    The slant, as far as I am concerned, is the best six to run. The main bearings are the same as the hemi, they are a factory 12 port head, low compression motors(they can be run up to 11:1).
    I have one on the street with a 471 blower, 600 Holley carb and I have no mercy on this motor. It had 96,000 miles on it when I pulled it out of the donor car, I did nothing but bolt the blower manifold on and tune it and have been beating on it ever since. The only thing I have had to do is re-torque the head after putting 15 lbs of boost on it.

3. Gotta love the leaning tower of power. It's the little engine that could. :D I think it's only main limitation in the HA/GR class is the lack of cubic inches.

4. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Drewfus, I have a question for you, a little off topic. Do any of you Aussies know anything about the Dugan six cylinder that was built down there?
    I have a friend that has one in a Thames truck and this is the baddest six I have ever seen. It is an all aluminum block, head and I understand that they run on needle bearings.
    I do know that it revs from an idle to about 12,000 so fast it will make your head spin.
    Any information would be appreciated, I do not think Ryan would approve of one in a HA/GR, as they reportedly put out around 500hp!:eek:

5. that's scary.....I have heard of them, but know very little about them, will have to ask around.

As a side note (regarding the slant), out here we only had them for a very breif period, but noted that you guys had them till the mid 80's......I'm starting to appreciate the statement 'the little engine that could', as the more I read about them the more I recognise that they really did make a difference in the automotive world, just in a quiet kinda way....

Cheers,

Drewfus

6. Here's a neat post (I think anyways) about our slant project if you haven't seen it. We've (GMC Bubba and myself) learned quite a bit about them over the last year or two. It's really made our little roadster project pretty unique and not just another roadster with a SBC mill.