Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Slammed 31 A coupe....FINISHED!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hooliganshotrods, Jun 27, 2012.

1. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Soon, the build is a lot farther along then when I last updated it.

2. n847

n847

Your holding out on us? You tease!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Any updates?

Jake

4. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Took a leave of absence on the build, I think I burnt myself out but have been back on it and it's almost done now, I wanted it finished for summer but there is no sense in rushing it so I'll look forward to driving it in the spring.

Here's a sneak peak of the coupe. All painted, getting glass cut next week. I learned I'm no bodyman, I wish I had the cash to hire someone to do the work, but it looks decent for my first garage spray. I've got a guy coming to polish it and get rid of a small bit of dust that landed in the paint.

Also going to redo the roof wood in a light stain.

Now I can roll it out and get my shop back in order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  5. wardA30

wardA30

Wow! Looks great Dean. Never any doubt in my mind. Won"t be long now

6. 4psi

4psi

It looks good. Keeping pushing forward.

-Charlie

7. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

8. Danshotrod

Danshotrod

WOW That is one badass looking coupe

9. BUSTEDKNUCKLE

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

I have to be honest with you.....THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BUILDS I HAVE EVER SEEN......FRICKEN AWSOME........YOU GOT VISION AND TALENT......

Curt

10. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks

Glad you like the build, cheers.

11. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Got the doors assembled and opening and closing nice. Built the fuel lines to the carbs.....in copper line:eek: I've used it before and never had a problem, floated the block and will use a small bit of rubber line to the regulator to help with vibration.

Not sure yet if I'll use the plug covers (which I have already painted) or just use rubber boots and exposed plug wire?? I kinda dig the vintage wire color as it matches nice with the body......I'm sure I'll be back and forth with it.

[​IMG]

I'll need to dis-assemble and shave the mounting spots on the fuel block since I'll be floating it and then re-polish it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's where I'm at a crossroads, I put the rear wheels back on and I'm not sure I'm digging the black wheels anymore?????? I am thinking maybe Tacoma cream (which I have made already) or a chocolate brown like the roof on the car.

[​IMG]

maybe:
    [​IMG]

Opinions are welcome and appreciated on the wheel color.

12. Hell of a nice build. I'm with you on the wheels. They need a lighter color to pop.

13. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Are you sticking with the whitewalls? They aren't working for me. I agree the black wheels aren't right either but I think a similar colour as the body sides will blend in too much. Blackwalls with the top rootbeer colour I personally think is the way to go. Just my opinion. Have you had a chance to get it outside and look at it from 30 feet back?

14. daddio211

daddio211

My sentiments exactly. Well said Kevin!

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

15. telekenfun

telekenfun

Dean, this is a terrific build, I love the paint job, it looks like you've done a fine job on painting it too. The color selection is a great throwback to the days when these cars were new.
    As for the tires and wheels, I can't develop an opinion. The logical thing to do is try all the combinations. Black tires on black wheels, white walls on cream wheels, blackwalls on creme, and so on. Maybe paint the black wheels the dark body color and mount one with a whitewall and one blackwall. Then mount up one side with one combo and the other side with another. Stand back and take each combo in. Leave the shop, go do something else, then come back and catch the fresh impact of each of the combinations. You have all winter to make the decision. Ultimately you're the person who most needs to like the final combination. But I think you have the colors right there. You know red or granny apple green won't work here.
    Best Regards and Good Luck with all your endeavors, KB aka telekenfun.

16. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks.

The whitewalls are staying at least for now. It's an expensive "experiment" to buy another set of rubber so for now I'll be changing the wheel color and see how I like it with the whitewalls. I agree that a color close to the lower body color may blend too much.

I have yet to get it outside and have a real walk around from a distance, that will be this week hopefully before the snow comes again.

Thanks for the feedback Kevin.

Thanks a lot. You're right, I've got all winter to sort it out and I know I will get it to where the overall look pleases me.

17. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

You've got a great build, but I'm gonna toss my 1.5 cents worth out there. What about painting the wheels and roof that same yummy color you painted your engine? When you look at the two different shades of brown, to me, they seem to fight each other. With the root beer colored wheels I think the whitewalls would even work. Like I said you've got a great build and after all it is your ride.

18. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks man.

I've decided I'm painting the wheels the rootbeer to match the engine and leaving the whitewalls. The roof will stay as it is. The thing I dig with the root beer color is that it changes colors depending on where the light hits it, it looks very close in the shade to the color of the roof and sparkles in the sun so I think the wheels will pop in that color.

19. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Sick as f#%k, got bored sitting around moaning so I got the decklid handle I bought at a swap for 10 bucks sanded down. Was thinking of having it polished or chromed but ended up making the decision that I will paint it to match the body colors. A light brown base and the chocolate color for the upper chrome piece and handle. I may throw in a license plate light underneath the top piece or a third brake light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta make a trip to the chrome platers this week when I'm feeling better to drop off the decklid hinges for re-plating also.

Pretty much out of parts in the cabinets so I guess that means I'm that much closer to finishing:cool:

20. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

The guy I got to cut/polish the paint came by today since I was at home sick. It was a good sick day, instead of moping around I got to watch this guy work. He did a really good job, we aren't finished yet, I'm gonna have him come one more time to wetsand it with 3000 and do one final polish.

The paint is ALOT nicer than when it was and the pics really don't show it but thought I would throw a few up anyways.

Crappy Iphone pics: LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The paint in the light is close to this, the decklid fits alot better when I put the hinges on and align it. It's just resting loose right now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had him do the valve covers too, definately I'll be painting the wheels to match the engine.
    [​IMG]

21. jimbanner

jimbanner

Looking real good, just read the entire thread. Amazing build!

22. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks

23. rory_a

rory_a
    from Sparks, NV

Awesome build and fab work, looking good!

24. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks man, it's starting to come together now though I'm dreading the thousand or so copper rivets I need to put in the aluminum interior which is next on my list.

25. john-e-yuma

john-e-yuma
    from Sacramento

I just sat and read this entire thread and I am in awe of your skills and your dedication to this build. Your work is fantastic and I really like how you have thought everything through. I can't wait to see if finished. Keep up the tremendous work.

26. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

I can't wait either, especially to start it for the first time:cool: Thanks.

27. n847

n847

Cant wait to see those wheels painted to match that engine!

28. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

^^ Me, too. Loving the throwback color scheme and the way you ignore the ranters and haters. Building what you want is really the traditional hot rod way. Subscribed!

29. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

The wheels won't get painted for a while yet. Gonna continue moving forward onto the aluminum work but they for sure are getting re-done.

Thanks for that. I don't get wound up about the fact that some guys don't like my build because it is on air ride or whatever.

30. BUSTEDKNUCKLE

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

What an awesome build, I would like to know what you ran for a radiator.

THANKS CURT