Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Skips' Swap Meet Or the Day from Hell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slowforty, Nov 3, 2008.

1. slowforty

slowforty

Left the house at 7am with my friend Ronnie.
    Drove 60 miles up to Grayslake in the 40.
    No problems till we got there.
    The line going into the new Fairgrounds was a mile long.
    After sitting in line for 30 to 60 minutes the 40 overheated.
    [Yeah that was me on the side of the road.]
    What were the people thinking when they had people paying in line before parking.
    Everyone i saw in line had to have a 5 minute conversation with the people taking the money.
    After the 40 cooled off we went around the corner and then the clutch decided to take a shit.
    I was lucky enough to be able to adjust the clutch so i could get the 40 moving.
    {That was me laying under the car.]
    we went to the swap.
    it is a real nice place.
    all paved with a brand new building.
    should be a neat place.
    but they really need to fix the entry problem.
    cars were backed up all over the place
    trying to get in.
    I met another friend of mine there and he followed me home.
    now i have a nice winter project.

2. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Yeah the pomona swap meet out here is no different.. just turn off the car and wait 20 minutes till the line moves 4 car lengths.. sucks.. too bad about your breakdowns..

3. ...any pics of yer 40?

4. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That sucks. I hope they get it figured out. Any good stuff or the usual crap?

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

:D:D:D:D It was a 4 smile swap:D you can't get to skips late or you'll sit in traffic. I don't think I have seen that many folks in a Long Long time!

6. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Quit going, same crap every time. Roger, need some help with that clutch?

7. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

after waiting for 40 minutes i got in i was surprised to see so many people. a lot of decent stuff but chaos was the word of the day. once it gets organized, i think it'll be much better than the last but it has a long way to go. picked up an A windshield.

8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I have to agree with you Rodger but this time was special! I go to take out the 32 and see freinds and maybe get lucky. I seen more 32 stuff then I have seen in years! I didn't get much 32 stuff most were gobbled up by other freinds and guys ,but did score a set of Very Nice 1932 Bobbed coupe fenders:D. I seen a guy buy a real nice 1932 roadster top just bolt it on a go for 50 bucks:eek: that's no typo 50 bucks!

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

Wow. I've never seen Skips that crowded... or with anything but Camaro parts and Chinese tools. :D

10. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

oh, there were still plenty of that there too.

11. AtomicDrew

AtomicDrew
    from Zompton Il

Being that it was the first Skips at the new fairgrounds and the fact that there have only been craft shows there without that many ppl trying to get in it coulda been worse. I was extremely glad to see them open the second line for admission fees, it woulda been ugly had they not done that. I scored mint original 32 boxed rails for a song, that guy sure had a lot of stuff. Walked passed him on the way out and some guy was buying the last of his wire wheels (15 or so of them) for 20 bucks, he was more than happy to get a nice rust free T wheel for that cheap, he claimed they sell for over 300 in that shape. The mint restored 36 chassis complete with rebuilt 8BA and a Columbia rear end would sure make it easy to put a car together fast, I believe he was asking 13K for it and it was painted hot rod red and ready to go.

12. slowforty

slowforty

Yeah I know this was their first time there.
    But they have been running things thing for over 20 years.
    You would think they would have a decent idea of what was going on.

13. NiteOwlChris

NiteOwlChris

I got there about 8 waited in line about 10 mins. I thought it was a great swap!! I even got some top secret parts for my next project. I did notice a long long line when I left. but what awesome weather.