Register now to get rid of these ads!

Skip White Performance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orange crush, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Has anyone Purchased a engine or any major parts from Skip White Performance? Looking for some honest feedback. Thank You Carl

2. rt338b

rt338b
    from Illinois

Have bought some small things from them and some good some just run of the mill chinese shit

3. Dusty56

Dusty56

That's interesting...I'm looking at a new cam and 383 stroker kit for my sbc

4. mr crocket

mr crocket

I don't know about the cheaper China crap but the prices are a little better on the name brand stuff.I called on some piston specs and the person I talked to didn't have a clue and gave wrong info.Advise you check part numbers with manufacture website before ordering.

5. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I have used a lot of Skip's stuff, Nice guy, shop tour and the price is right. I drive up to save shipping and have lunch. No show room anymore but they still made us feel welcome.

6. I bought a high torque starter and some valve covers from them. Both were good quality. I haven't had any problems from the starter on a fairly high compression motor.

7. pq55

pq55

I did bought a unassembled 427 sbc with dart block from him 2 years ago,the price was right and quality of machining and balancing was pretty good.Had to clearence the rod a little more to clear the cam and the ring weren't the right size but Skip send the good one shortly.Will buy one next summer for another project.
    Pat

8. I'm looking at one of their 383 stroker motors for one of my projects but still a little hesitant to pull the trigger. Carl

9. Thank You to all who replied Carl G

10. Weasel

Weasel

Bad news - I had major problems and every kind of BS excuse under the sun why the engine i ordered was not going to get built. I ended up with a pair of bare heads that are no use to me and that's it. results may vary, but Caveat emptor - buyer beware....

11. blonby1970

blonby1970
    from Oregon

Im looking to buy a 496 stroker kit but im truely in the In.the middle on this. Anyone have any thoughts on this matter for new???
    Went about their big block aluminim heads ????

12. I've heard mixed things about Skip White performance also. My brother in law was looking for a new engine for his OT chevelle and contacted Skip White through Ebay and placed an order for a 500+ CI BBC, he got the run around, calls not returned, missed deadlines, at one point he couldn't even get in contact with anyone there who knew anything about his order...he got cold feet and demanded a refund. He ended up going with a local builder and a smaller CI 496 BBC. Everyone's experience is different with them. If they were more local I think they would be a little more on the hook for what goes down since you can pop in there and see how things are going...JM2C

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Local builder. If I was spending motor money, I'd like to see the builder in person, if there was an issue. People tend to maybe care a little more, if they know you could drop by at any time. I swing by my motor guys house, just to shoot the shit and see what he's working on.

14. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I agree. Bring some doughnuts, etc. Last time I stopped by I brought in a box of AFB jets because he used up all his on my dyno run. He was happy about that because he needed some on another motor.

15. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

I bought the BBC 555 stage 7.5 for my henry j, knocked out the cam and lifters. as soon as I pulled the motor they had a truck pick it up,got it back tp me with a completely new short block ,went back through the heads ,worked with me on a different cam/lifter set up.. sent it back ready to go... they took good care of me..

16. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

i have bought a lot of stuff from skip with no probs

17. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

I bought an HEI distributor from them. Was no good out of the box; the car would only run above 2500 RPM - I guess the advance weights were wrong or something like that.

They took it back without any issues, but I just went back to my old points distributor and haven't looked back.

18. JasonK

JasonK

I bought a balanced 347 stroker kit for my mustang last year. I heard no complaints from my engine builder. I've thrashed the shit out of it every time I drove the car.

Doing a cam swap right now, there is no abnormal wear that I can see. I'll keep buying from him until I get screwed on something.

I also bought an HEI from him. It's held up well also.

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Give Mike Rogers a call in Hatboro, Pennsylvania.
    http://rogersperformance.com/index.html

His shop is about 275 miles from you and he's "Old School" good. You talk to Mike only,
    and he attends to every detail. He's also a HAMBer.

Forgot to say that after numerous calls I had to drive to White's to return some cheap, Chinese crap and look at replacements in-person on a build about 5 years ago. As I recall the whole experience left a bad taste, and since then I do business elsewhere. Their parts descriptions on Ebay are all flowered-up and quite lengthy.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran one of his HEI distriboutors on my daily driver for almost three years without a problem and a set of his fabricated valve covers on the same engine with no problems. I've also bought some other stuff that worked ok. I'm too far away to even consider the shipping on a complete engine. Right now I'd be concerned about being put on hold on an engine because the shop was building engines for their repeat circle track customers but that is probably any engine shop in the south at this time of year.