Register now to get rid of these ads!

Skinny Whites

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Aug 20, 2009.

1. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I'm in the same boat you are Kerry. I would prefer the WWs with my original wheels and caps. I was able to buy my full set of skinnys for about 1/3 the price of the WWs. I intend to have WWs eventually but they are on the back burner for now.

This pic shows the old bias plys that came with it.

48 Poncho

Attached Files:

2. monsterflake

monsterflake

3. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

I ran black steelies on my Impala with thin whites for a long time. Bitchin wheel and tire combo for a 60s car, and it'll fly well on a 50s car, too. I'll second the statement to do your own thing, but if you care about era, just throw some 60s style at it here and there.

4. jimbo121

jimbo121

Hi. I think either style would look good depending what look you are after. As a cheaper alternative to WWW, how about some normal old blackwalls, radial or crossply, and using some whitewall flapper discs? Not the best, but if you're on a budget...

5. monsterflake

monsterflake

porta-walls are okay on bias-ply tires, but radials'll tear 'em up...

6. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I prefer skinny whites or even double "pinner" whites over wide whites. My 2 cents.

7. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

The double pinner's say '60s 'custom' more then everything imo, and look cool on almost anything...

[​IMG]

But I would say, just paint the skinny's. Then again, as said, with smoothies, I don't how good that will look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Kerry67

Kerry67

^^^^^
    bad ass wagon.

9. El KaMiNo KiD

El KaMiNo KiD

When i was lookin for WW i looked everyday on craigslist...literally everday...found 2 new radials for the front for $120 and a few weeks later found 2 used cokers for the back for $50...its my daily so i need radials...

10. I have always preferred the narrow whites, if I am going to run WW, there is a wagon similar to my in town that runs WWW and I don't like the look...

Attached Files:

11. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

Converse sneeker's look , I've always thought. Looks cool.

12. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

That turned out great!

- Joe

13. skinny whites !

Attached Files:

14. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I like my "skinnys"

Attached Files:

15. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

skinnys look best on a Sixties Style ride!

16. Kerry67

Kerry67

Rob-Redm........I like the look of the skinny whites and the rims in the second pic. That is exactally what I am after. I like it better than the wide whites in the pic next to it.

17. I posted a pic of my 62 Merc with skinny whites and Sumpremes, and my 59 Wagon with the stock 14" wide whites and stock wheel covers in the second pic, and the 15" chrome reverse and 15" skinny whites. I like bias ply wide whites on 50's car as stated earlier by someone else. But the 59 Wagon drives way better with radial 15" wheels and tires. I have wide whites on my 49 Ford Coupe and that would be the only tire that would look good on that car( well bias ply blackwall would be cool also !) my 2 cents worth

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  18. Kerry67

Kerry67

I like the Skinny with the Supremes as well. Not sure how they would look on my wagon but they look killer on the early 60's cars I think. For my 56 I prefer the look of your wagon in the second pic.

19. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Finally found a pic of the 48 with the skinnies on it. Doesn't look the greatest but it was what I could afford for now.

48 Poncho

Attached Files:

20. Bazooka

Bazooka

Im probably going to go with the six lug chrome smoothies on my 63 Chevy C-10. The nice thing about the six luggers is they do not have a multi lug pattern like the 5 luggers do...

My other choices were cragars or supremes but I would have to do a axle swap to switch my rear to 5 lug..

No matter what wheel I decide on I am going to run skinny whites..

Skinny whites rule!

21. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I like skinny whitewalls, and I like wide whites. Also like blackwalls. It depends on the look you're going for. I've got wide whites on the '36, skinnies on the '51 Tin Woodie, and I've got blackwalls on ralley wheels to go on the '48 to replace with wide whites on the '48 Pontiac convert. Do what you "see" when you look at the car, if you don't you'll always regret going with 2nd choice.

Brian

23. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Sears Guardsmans. Cheap, ride great, variety of sizes. I ran them before I scored the wides.

24. JamesG

JamesG

Whites are nice, but reds where it's at.....

[​IMG]

25. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Skinnies & Astro's, baby!
    [​IMG]

26. The chrome rims on my 59 wagon are unilug(cheap !) bought at Les Schwab in Fife, with there Kingsman skinny whites. I think the whole shooting match was under $600 m & b on the car with tax !

27. caddy man

caddy man
    from usa

I think the skinny whites would be fine, but another cool look would be black sidewalls and chrome steelies with spider caps. Just a thought

28. Kerry67

Kerry67

I went to Tire Pro's today and they wanted $108/ea for the Smoothies. The guy was a DICK and apparently it was too much trouble to open up a catalog to help me look and he basically was ignoring me. So I walked and I will try a couple other places tomorrow.

29. Bazooka

Bazooka