Register now to get rid of these ads!

skinny whites up front, wide whites in the rear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWBLAZERO1, Nov 8, 2009.

1. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

i saw a post a while back, that had a picture of a car (a purple or blue '54 chevy, if i remember correctly), that had skinny whites in the front and wide whites in the rear. i was thinking of running a combo similar to this on my studebaker, any one else run a combo like this? all pictures, would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. You mean this one?

Attached Files:

• 1953.jpg
      1953.jpg
      File size:
      97.2 KB
      Views:
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

;)It looks like you are already running wide whites on the front and rear, sides, top, etc....;)

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i tried that once but the front tires tended to spin faster because of the less weight of the pinners. it actually would drag the rear of the car. took off the skinnys and the car ran good after that,

actually ,we used to run what we had,black,wide,skinny.
    i had wide whites on the right side and skinnys on the left. for approval in two different crowds.

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

For that matter, how many people scope out one side of a car, then look to see if the tires/wheels/wws on the other side match anyhow? :D

6. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

Well, mine is a driver and in the interest of driving it I bought two used blackwalls. I put the two skinny whites on the same side so every thing matched when looking at the profile of my car. One side is different from the other but you can't look at both sides at the same time. Been running it like that for about three months and haven't heard a word (good or bad) about it yet.

I've seen a car with blackwalls on a black steel rim up front and www on an off-white steelie out back. Looked pretty cool too, sorry no pictures to contribute.

7. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

haha, thats funny guys. that is exactly the car i was thinking of, thanks.

8. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Don't do it a wheel/tire pkg can make or break a car.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I find that not having a wheel and tire package DEFINITELY breaks a car, and makes it damned hard to handle on the street.

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

I dunno, but I think that Chevy looks great.

11. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i like that chevy..

12. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

i don't think i will do it. works well on that chevy, probably won't look as good on a stude though. but i have a long way to go before i finalize the wheels & tires. thanks guys.

13. Paul2748

Paul2748

Amen - that's why those 17-22 diameter wheels look so crappy on cars - all out of proportion.

14. justnicholas

justnicholas

Instead of reposting a thread I thought I would revive this 3 year old one.

Since I can only afford two wide whites. I was hoping to get some more pictures of Wide Whites in the rear and skinnys up front.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but the width of the whitewall should be proportionate to the height of the tire. In other words if you ran say a 3 inch whitewall on a 30 inch rear tire and a 3 inch whitewall on a 25 inch tire, it wouldn't look right. You need to run a wider ww on a tall tire than on the shorter tire so that the same amount of blackwall is showing on both.

Here is an example of what I mean.

Don

[​IMG]

16. goon56

goon56
    from new jersey

33859_10150278077570131_1041289_n[1].jpg
    i like em on my truck

17. justnicholas

justnicholas

I was thinking more of 50's cars (preferably trucks). I see it more often on 30's just because smaller wheels up front, but Goon56 has the right idea.

Thanks and both cars look awesome.

18. I love the differant sizes and that one damn fine bucket Don .

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It looks stupid to me.

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The mismatched tires on that blue Chev look like ass. Fortunately the god awful paint job distracts your attention and makes them less noticeable. What an ugly mess.

21. Scrap the whites altogether....except on the T bucket.

22. Could you imagine a 3" white wall on a late rubber band tire? It would wrap the tread.

I think what he is talking about is running wide whites on the rear and pinners on the front. But you are totally correct the whitewall needs to be proportionate, it should be the same ratio of black to white on both.

A combo that I have run a lot over the years has been pinners on the front and blackwalls on the rear. It started out as a poverty combo, leavng the best rubber tat came on the car on the front and buying or replacig the rrears with a performance tire. I did it so much when i was young that it sort of became my trademark.