Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Six pack for the early hemis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackout78666, Dec 6, 2015.

1. blackout78666

blackout78666

Question that's been bugging me since I started playing around with the early Hemi engines. I know they we're made 3x2 and 4x2 and dragstar and others but it seems in very limited quantities versus the other powerplants of the era. Olds, pontiac, Chevy,ford etc seem to be readily findable and available. But them dang 3x2 and 4x2 aftermarket Hemi intakes seem to have been made of evaporatanium

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

They were never as many Chrysler engines made as Olds and Chevy. They were and are harder to put in an old car to build a hot rod. The olds was very cheap for a 300 inch + engine in the day. So lots more parts were sold to support it. An Olds powered '50 Coupe or Holiday made a great street cruiser. As did a "55 and up Chevy. Not so much for a Chrysler. great drag racing motors. Not as popular on the street.

loudbang likes this.
  3. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

image.jpg Got one here,not going to use now,gone back to my original plan ,a 6/71.Sure looks cool though...

4. PackardV8

PackardV8

Agree with Rich; back in the day, the wide-heavy-expensive-to-build-no-trannies-available hemi was used less-often in street rods, thus fewer aftermarket manifolds.

Along with the lower production, Top Fuel racing also used up thousands of hemis.

jack vines

loudbang likes this.

5. blackout78666

blackout78666

Hmmm. I suppose that makes sense. I guess I figured for the go fast crowd whatever was ruling the dragstrip would be top choice for the cars on the street, less the blower and injection and such. Not to take anything away from the others...and yeah that induction above looks cool as hell!!!