Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Six Cylinder Drag cars photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 35touring, Nov 18, 2010.

1. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

2. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

3. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

4. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

5. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

6. the pinstriper

the pinstriper
    from duxford UK

never seen an inlet set up as similar but no the same as mine, not seen anyone run these nor can find much info on them, dos palmos set up I got years back. probably selling my project so will sell these too if anyone is interested, be nice to see them being used!

[​IMG]DSC_0990 by the pinstriper, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0992 by the pinstriper, on Flickr

benchseat4speed likes this.
  7. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

Love those Inliners. I remember a couple of Md. boy's Harry Peapers and Dave DeYoung H/Gassers that did quite well in the 60's.....JT

8. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

9. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

10. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

11. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

12. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

In the late 60's Marvin Clark and Roger Allred ran a twin engine rambler and held the NHRA record. I wish someone had a picture of the car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

14. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

15. jemoke

jemoke
    from calif us

This is Danny Davis and I will tell you the story of the Pocket Rocket.

16. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

I wonder if this car was "inspired" by the RAMCHARGERS? Is it a '53 or '54 Coronet?

17. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

18. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

19. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

Love those Inliners. Who makes custom exhast headers for a 56 chevy running a 292? Thanks JT

20. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

Tom Langdon at Stovebolt has cast iron headers for the 292. They are the shorty type and have a lot of applications. Hope this helps. Hud

21. Need to update my pic. Now running with a tunnel ram designed and built in house along with matching headers. Have now gone as fast a I ever want to go. was unable to hold it on the floor all the way to the finish line. Not a handling issue as it goes as straight as an arrow but just plain fear in an old worn out man. I believe I will stop here and just enjoy it. Hopefully I will eventually get enough hair to stay on it the last 20feet or so. Didn't expect the power gain I got.
    don

Attached Files:

22. sasquatch12

sasquatch12

Good news Don, congrats on the engineering of the induction.

23. mopacltd

mopacltd

Man, I must be getting old......I remember a bunch of these cars!

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'll bet it would have run .200 quicker with three two-barrels...

Cabbie and loudbang like this.
  25. KangaRod

KangaRod

------------------------
    The car, in the Australian photos, called "Bill's Bucket" was run by Bill Croft of Sydney.
    He also ran a "mini Funny Car" called "Bill's Beast". It had a early model Morris Minor 2 door sedan body mounted on a space-frame. It, like the T-Bucket, was powered by an inline (General Motors) Holden inline 6 cylinder engine.
    Both cars were paint the same green shade.
    The T-bucket ran in B/A and the Minor run in C/A if I remember correctly.
    Regards from KangaRod

26. rooman

rooman

KangaRod, the red motored dragster (B/D 213) was the Kevin Birch car mentioned in my post of the four cylinder dragster thread.

Roo

27. The wonderful thing is the engine doesn't know it is a six cylinder. I remember when mine started lifting the wheels on launch. It was pretty exciting. Depending on the bite and the air and the driver sometimes they will hang all through first gear. Once at Shannonville when they had lots of sticky down it lifted so hard the rear of the chassis smacked the ground. The shock through my worn out back made me walk funny for a couple of months. Now I keep the tire pressure up enough so it doesn't squat so much. Actually that launch is on you tube. I still feel the pain just thinking about it. Running six cylinders is a lot of fun. Making everything even more fun. And when you smoke one of the V8s it is a big pay off. Still as I mentioned today it would be more fun if there were several similar six cylinder cars. Rules I would use and set out are 100 inch wheelbase max .(I could live with 110) Auto trans or standard . Any tire. No roller cams or rockers. Flat top pistons and cars not looking like they were built by the bank. No aftermarket heads but anything you can figure out to do yourself is OK. Cubes not more then 260. Should be affordable but creative. Should be not of interest to the mega $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ crowd. A no chrome or anodizing will sometimes keep them at bay. Also age over 50 for the driver was my original plan but that wasn't carved in stone. I spent most of my racing days running 440s and a 426 hemi for a bit. Did dable in a few six cylinder projects but never had the fun I have with this car. I am at about $4000 Canadian funds, out of pocket after almost 7 years and that includes a new set of spare slicks. I probably spent more then that on burgers over the same period. Keep all those pics coming I really enjoy seeing what others are doing with 6 cyls.
    don

28. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio