Register now to get rid of these ads!

six banger flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by archied1067, Oct 6, 2008.

1. archied1067

archied1067

so for any one interested i had been asking about my 6banger (l6 226 six in line ford )for a while now.well all the listening and askinq questions finally payed off.last fri i started theat fucking engine and it sounded like a bat out hell.just wanted to thank every one on the hamb for the help. i just found a leak at the rope seals its either i fix it or live with a oil leak for as long as i have the thing in there. any suggestions?:)

2. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

Where did You get parts for that engine? Thanks.

3. archied1067

archied1067

what parts are you speaking of. well i got a spare 226 from a fellow hamber it was trashed but complet. it had every thing i needed, i still have lots of left over parts

4. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Killer man. I've got a 226 Super Hurricane in my Willys. It's always good to hear of another flat 6 up and running. They make great looking engines and sound good too!

You have any mods done to it yet? What are your plans for it?

5. archied1067

archied1067

im not sure i would like to get some speed equipment for it,but there isn't hardly any thing available for it.if any one has any thing let me know.thanks

6. mofles

mofles
    from Long Beach

when are you pulling out the one thats in the car
    let me know if you need help

7. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I lucked out having a Willys 226... the wagons came with 2V carbs, and I can get a 4v on there with an adapter (not that i'd need it at this point).

In your case, you could probably make a generic multi carb adapter work. If you have the tools, you can also make your own headers... I'm going to be stuck making a lot of my own stuff...

If you ever need more carburetion, a carb from a Ford 300 inline six is one of the largest offered on a production inline six. It's about 300ish CFM. It's probably double what we have on our sixes. Someone else here may know the exact CFM of a 300 carb.

8. archied1067

archied1067

how would you make your own haeders i have a spare header .would you cut it and brazz it?

9. archied1067

archied1067

i want to start pulling it out this week already . im down when ever i get some help.i have to remove the hood 2 man job easy

10. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

Oh, I mean, where did You order parts loke seals and gaskets?
    I am on the lookout for an Edmunds intake manifold.

11. archied1067

archied1067

gaskets got from ebay. but you can find it on egge.com just a bit pricey

12. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Making a header isn't too bad if you have the tools, or friends with the right tools. I'll tell ya the easiest way is with a plasma cutter to make your flange plate, a tubing bender for your primary tubes, a collector that you can weld all the primary tubes into, and a good mig welder. Sounds easy doesn't it???

If you don't have the tools above (hell I don't) there are plenty of other ways to substitute them. They just require a helluva lot more work. :D If you do a search here, i'm sure you'll find all kinds of ways to build your own headers using less expensive tools.

Make sure your header flange is the same thickness as the intake flange if your manifolds share the same funky washers that bolt them to the block.

13. walls

walls

i have a manifold being split right now. p.m. me with your e-mail and i can send you a couple pics and info if you want.

14. archied1067

archied1067

15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Here is a site that might be of some assistance. Met a fellow on sunday running a holley webber 2bbl on his MOPAR flat 6 218 cu in. He said it made quite a difference over the 1 bbl. Also if your pullig it down, this type of engine responds well to some higher compression. I did .010 of the block, and .040 of the head. perked up my 230 MOPAR pretty well. From the looks of the intake manifold the carb base could be milled to be more adapter friendly.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_six-cyl.htm

16. 46inline6

46inline6
    from oxford

hi i also have a 226 in my 1946 ford love to hear that there is more out there