Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Sitting and Rotting.............picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jan 31, 2009.

1. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

IMG_0024.JPG BACKYARD-1.jpg Let's perk this thread up a little bit. They don't all just get left to sit and rot. Just finished a 14 month project.

mgtstumpy, 30tudor, LONG and 9 others like this.
  2. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

BACKYARD-4.jpg backyard-3.jpg We had to add a special feature.

3. scotts52

scotts52

Yes, that's right. I have a 55 and am in need of two like that.

4. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Scott, sorry got Exterior trim and inside moldings. No Taillights. Are they one year, wagon model only ? Believe 55' Safari are different.

5. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

6. raymay

raymay

Not easy to find and if you do the lenses are usually missing or junk. A friend is doing a 55 Pontiac Wagon and I believe he got 61 Chevy lenses to fit in his housings. They look good.

7. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Raymay, where original lenses Glass ?

8. BJR

BJR

I am not aware of any of the big 3 auto company cars that had glass tail light lens past 1951 or 2. After that they were all plastic.

40 Olds and biggeorge like this.
  9. speedracer6

speedracer6
    from w pa

160207_0000 1923 Oakland2.jpg 1923 Oakland

Attached Files:

10. I give up . What is This ???

Looks like a 57 T Bird but the hood opens the wrong way.

Oldmics

11. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

True shame - Pontiac Safari

12. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

IMG_2354.JPG IMG_2353.JPG
    Waiting for " Bucksnort " to chime in here. He should have good pics

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  13. scotts52

scotts52

I don't know if 56 has the same. As a last resort 55 Chev lights will work. I have the housings, just no lenses. Is this your yard you're selling out of or do you just have access to everything? I have other projects I need parts for if this is your yard and your parting things.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  14. This old Desoto remindeds me of the one that was on Happy Days. 045.jpg

15. philo426

philo426

Yeah! Remember when the Fonz hot rodded it and Howard backed it through the garage?

Nailhead A-V8 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

2ndChance, enjoy your 3 Door transformation. Less than a year , wow.
    SpeedRacer6, true winner of Yard Art competition.
    Scotts52, will send you a PM
    Funk. What year Desoto ? Love the Grill & Fender wraparound mounding

17. 1946-early 1949 series DeSoto.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Pretty good 64 fury. IMG_1202.JPG IMG_1203.JPG

19. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

I previously posted on page # 399, post # 11964. Said it was a few years ago. Quess I should have made it more clear. Everything was gone in a few months. They would sometimes wreck cars with a loader just trying to get to another car. And the one they where after would fall apart. Plus the battle with trees in between cars. Very few cars sold whole.
    Sharing with you guys. I post my pictures because its something I got to see for first time in my life. Likely to never see that many old classics resting in one place ever again. It was like walking through a Rust Cemetery that had been peaceful for 20-30 plus years.
    Looking at a lot of cars with collisions. Thinking no seat belts, steel dashes, high speeds, no crush zones. Surely a lot of severe injuries and death involved.
    Most guys like us felt fortunate to be able to walk through and buy parts . And where very decent to each other. A lot of time helping each other. Then there is always the shisters. Hiding parts near fence to come back at night and other foolishness.
    Unwritten rule was if you wanted to buy a whole car you sprayed your name and number on it. No one was keeping track of that. Just a guy you paid at the gate. So someone would go and mark cars and never come back. And if you marked a car you had to be around and somehow figure when they where going after that area. So most of us did not take parts off marked car.
    I really is a shame that so little got saved. New owner was a Scrap business man. And they processed who knows how many cars in a short time. Weird feeling , alone up there taking off parts and hearing that Detroit on Crusher screaming in the distance .

20. scotts52

scotts52

Too many old yards are being crushed out. With all the interest in old iron nowadays it seems like a more profitable endeavor would be to disassemble everything and sell things online. Some of this stuff is no longer available anywhere except through cars being parted out. It's a real shame. If I had the money I'd love to amass an old school wrecking yard. Tons of old cars and projects out there still that end up being scrapped for next to nothing. I do what I can. Unfortunately, every car I haul home I want to save and fix it up.

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I did save the 64 fury, it's a 318 pushbutton torqueflite with factory A/C. I may have given too much for it, the lady said it was her late sons. I guess it was worth $200. :) Waiting for the rattlers to vacate and the big raccoon living on the battery box. :D

22. Here on the East Coast, certainly in my area, the older yards are being shut down due to state and federal EPA intervention and the skyrocketing value of land. Even if one was to disassemble everything and sell it online as you propose, it wud not be as profitable nor as quick as selling your land for a single, high dollar, payday. It's disappointing to me and to many of us in the old car hobby, but that's the way of the world.

23. I'm not a Mopar fan, but I'd say two bills was a nominal investment. Besides, you got a couple of pets to go along with it. :eek::D

What's the story on the AD Chevy PU sitting beside it in the pic?

24. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

IMG_2046.JPG
    Been so long , top of Axle is level with ground.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  25. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

^^^^ They took the Sawzall right through the rear side glass and all on that one! Ol' number 39 has been sitting there a while to bury the wheels half way up.

26. WOW !!! A glass cutting sawz all.

Oldmics

drylakespeedshop likes this.
  27. Drylake

Drylake

28. Hope this old 41 gets saved. 006.jpg 007.jpg

29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Bowtie, I am working on them about the other stuff but the other son has a say in that. We will see. Lippy

Bowtie Coupe likes this.