Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Sitting and Rotting.............picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jan 31, 2009.

1. You think that Carry-All is for sale?

2. push_rod

push_rod

Well the fact is that was back in November of 2007. The cars were sold in early 2008. The owner's wife had been approached by a family friend, who wanted to buy both cars. She was interested in a quick sale. She didn't want to do any haggling, and did not want me to list them for her on Ebay. In fact she did not want to advertise them publicly in any way because she did not want to deal with strangers nosing around their property. Her husband's health was failing (He died in February 2010), and she wanted to sell them while he could still sign the pink slips. I did as much homework as possible... I checked the Old Car Price Guide, and did an exhaustive search online for completed sales of comparable 1939 Deluxe Coupes, and 1932 Trucks. Badly rusted project cars were not selling well at that time... all of the evidence pointed to a value of $2,500.00 each! Everyone involved with the sale was happy, except that the guy who wound up with the truck couldn't stop complaining about how badly the floor, and lower portions of the body were rusted. (The original owner's wife died in January of 2011.) The Coupe showed up on Craig's List two different times in July of 2011. The guy had decided it was too much of a project for him. He cleaned it up, assembled it, and tried to sell it for $10,000.00; I have no idea if it sold. By what the photos in the ad showed (see attached), the floor and sub rails all needed replacing. The real sad thing is that, back in 1977 we split the cost of a car trailer to move his Coupe home from his son in law's, and my Coupe (my avatar photo) home from my aunt's yard. His Coupe was in much better shape than my car! It was as solid as the day it was made. The only dent on it was on the top of the drivers side front fender where he pounded on it with his fists when the car broke down at the drag strip!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. Brucekoukalaka

Brucekoukalaka
    BANNED

These are a few I ran across today at my favorite Pick-a-part.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. DavidY

DavidY
    from 15102

In a way, it's sad that so many once nice cars are rotting away. However, there just aren't enough people with the means to rescue all of them. And, it appears that many of them are at least donating parts to projects that need them.

5. push_rod

push_rod

In 1972 The Waltons debuted on TV, I wanted a Model A coupe like John-boy! That same year we discovered a rusting 1928 Essex Tudor on the property adjacent to Grandma's cousins ranch (I kept visiting it, trying to pry parts off it... all I have are two banged up hubcaps!). Grandma's cousin had bought that ranch (13 acres of wooded land in the Sierra foothills.) back in 1959. His and the adjacent property were the local auto wrecking yard from the teens until sometime in the early 1930's. He told stories of having to use a tractor to drag old car chassis to the two open pit mines on the property... where he dumped them in to help to fill the mines up!!! He, and his brothers, then built a four car garage and cabin on the property. My family enjoyed staying there a week or two each summer. By 1982 the owner of the adjacent property, an environmentalist, had used a bulldozer to move the last five old cars (The tudor, three fordors, and one coupe, all 1920's vintage.) off his property (he scrapped them!!!). In October of 1982, my Grandmother's cousin died; his nieces inherited the property, and sold it so they could split the money... All I have is this one photo of that Essex.

Attached Files:

6. That blue FIAT or Peugeot van just up there ^^^ sure is an oddball for Canada or U.S.

7. So is the Vanguard sedan. JW

8. Sauli

Sauli

Did You get a photo of that blue´59 Chevy on the right? Should be plenty of "demand" out there for decent "tin" and brightwork for those. Surprisingly little supply anyway, the last I looked. The same goes for the ´59 Dodge 4dr HT up above in Your post a bit.

9. chrisp

chrisp

Renault Estafette. How the hell did that thing ended up in the US? I never heard of those imported there.

10. At first glance, I thought there was a rifle or shotgun holding the hood up on the Buick.
    [​IMG]

11. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

I don't believe the seats were still there. Even if they were, these have been sitting so long, they probably wouldn't be any good. I'm going back in a couple of days and I'll look.

These are in the same yard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Well there is the British heritage in Canada and ofcourse the French connection as well.

13. helper monkey

helper monkey
    from Oklahoma

What is the 2 dr hard top next the the 59 4 door hardtop? The roofline looks like a 64 Impala, but the trim isn't right for an SS or a hardtop? In any case, how did the cholos miss this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

14. Kume

Kume

Stumbled across this 26 dodge chassis the other day - too far gone for me but interesting transverse spring grafted into the rear .

Attached Files:

15. helper monkey

helper monkey
    from Oklahoma

Yeah, the roof line with the "fake" convertible top bows matches the Olds 88, but the sides don't match. If the chrome went over the gas filler door, it would be an Impala SS, but it doesn't.

16. mechanic58

mechanic58

I know where there's a '69 Challenger R/T, 440/6-pack/4-speed car - rotting away up against a tree in the woods in southern Ohio. I don't have a picture of it - however I think if I ever do get close enough to it again to get a picture of it - that I might just hold the owner at gun point whilest I load it on my trailer. It's one of them "I'm gonna fix it someday" stories that has played out for 25 years now. Its a damned shame. Car is red with a black vinyl top.

17. I'm thinkin' 1963 F-85...
    [​IMG]

18. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Charger......?

19. Yeah, a '69 Challenger would be really rare, especially since it was introduced in '70.

Besides all that, a '69 Anything would be out of the HAMB time-line...

20. helper monkey

helper monkey
    from Oklahoma

I'd believe it, but the gas door on the F-85 is below the trim

21. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Buick LeSabre.

22. I think we have a winner...
    [​IMG]

23. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Yes - '64 to be exact.
    Always interesting to see both a Meteor and a Monarch there. Bruce, are there any Edsels in that yard? If so, can you get some shots of the dataplate on the driver's door jamb? Some of my Edsel friends have a database going and any you find would be a big help in documenting colors, engines, trim, etc. especially for Canadian Edsels. Thanks!

24. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

x2. Stick with myriad of other websites for posting muscle crap.

25. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

It is indeed. '64 LeSabre, the Impala SS's were down a few rows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very rough '56 Ford ragtop...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Packard, Lincoln & 2 mustangs (one with special hood)

Attached Files:

27. Edsel101

Edsel101

I just moved and have been scouring the garages and barns of the local towns trying to uncover a hidden gem. I found these sitting just off of the square in Princeton Indiana. The house and building must've been one of the nicest in the county at one point in time. I have yet to make contact with the owners. One of the neighbors said the 62 runs!

Attached Files:

28. one2roc

one2roc

Yup, its official..... we've all seen them at one time or another.

29. helper monkey

helper monkey
    from Oklahoma

Yep, you got it! I gave up on Buick because I couldn't see the "port holes" (or by this type "port slots?) But they're there.

That 63/64 GM hardtop with the faux bows look was always a favorite for me.