Register now to get rid of these ads!

Site that repops Mdl T sheetmetal...never heard of them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironhunter, Feb 22, 2006.

1. ironhunter

ironhunter

I got a reply from a fella on the Fordbarn board and he sent me to this site. http://www.fordor.com/

Maybe some of you know about them, but I thought it might help somebody. You wanna build a C-cab? They got all the necessary tin to get a real good start except the doors and the top of the cowl. They got T coupe decklids for $400. Sounds a bit steep, but look what a rusty one sells for, or try to make one for that.

They got lots of A RPU and closed cab parts, Patch panels. etc.

I'm not pluggin them, but I thought I share the find.

Attached Files:

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Geez, it looks like you could stick together a completely new touring car out of their pieces, unless I'm reading the catalogue incorrectly.

I'm in heaven!

3. ironhunter

ironhunter

Kinda what I thought too. They got lots of touring pieces.
    If you go to Model T haven, they got a C-cab thats fixable but rusty for $650. I can buy all the metal I need, new, excep the doors and cowl top for less than that. So much for original tin...thinkin very seriously about getting on the phone with these folks and have the little brown truck bring me some parts to play with.

4. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I got some parts from them for my Model A, let's say they looked homemade and in fact I ended up making my own.

5. ironhunter

ironhunter

Well, isnt that interesting. The guy that sent me there said he got all the parts he needed for his truck and they were great. I guess that is in the eye of the beholder, eh? I'm sure you are a bit like me, and think if I'm gonna buy it versus build it, the bought stuff better be right on.

So are they really that shabby, John? I was pretty certain they weren't die-stamped, but I did assume the parts would be fairly good representations of originals. Most of the T stuff is pretty easy to roll out with a bead roller and a wheel, and I figured a fella could save a buck.

Hey, thats what the forum is for...you just saved me from making a $600 mistake :)

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Well my bubble is burst. I don't know how to metalwork at all!

I really gotta start looking into that acting career.

7. CHRIS 57

CHRIS 57
    from Upstate NY

I bought complete cab corners, cowl sides, and door patches for my 28-29 closed cab A pickup. Everything I got fits nice and is good quality. There name is Howell Sheetmetal, do a search you will find many people have used there parts here on the HAMB.

8. Beetle

Beetle
    from Texas

I bought repair panels for my '26 roadster a couple of years ago, and they were in fact just as good as the original stuff. They even made me some patch panels without the normal flange so I could seam weld them in. I was quite satisfied with the panels that I got from them and will be using them again.

9. Their webpage was f'ed up for a while, looks like it's better than it was, and they have some actual pictures of the stuff I need to order. Thanks!

10. alchemy

alchemy

A lot of Howwell's stuff looks good on the website. But I can only attest to the one piece I bought. The A decklid skin I bought looked like a flat sheet with the edges rolled over and shrunk to a curve. There was NO convex curve to the middle of the lid. And the whole thing was too narrow, so it wouldn't fit over my original inner panel.

We ended up going with a Brookville panel.

11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

fairly good representations of originals. I would say that .. My panels were handmade -cut , bent and then stretched/shrunk into the shape with that "fairly good representations of originals" yes. Like I said they were close but not 100% correct and were some panels were better then others.. In my opinion Brookville is a better product, being that it is a stamped product. [/PHP]

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

have you tried Rootlieb?

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rootlieb and Brookville are the class acts of the vintage sheetmetal world.:D

14. Yep, that's Howells.

LOT's of T stuff. Just got 27 roadster qtr patches and they're now making
    fender well panels (YES!). :D

The pieces look great, and they're certainly a better deal than the rotted junk from Model T Haven for more $$.:mad:

If it's A stuff, I like Brookville best.

15. ironhunter

ironhunter

I looked at their site, but they got nothing as far as 26-7 cars or TT bodies. Unless they decided for some reason not to picture it on the site. Can't request a catalog because you just get a 404 error after submitting, can't download the catalog because they're "working on it". I don't want to spend all day on the phone, so I haven't went any farther with them.
    They do have some good lookin stuff if you're into the speedsters and pre-20 stuff though

16. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

unless i overlooked it, here is the web site for Howells : www.fordor.com

17. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Ray,
    thank you for sharing this....I've been looking for some 26-27 T coupe stuff for a while... If only they had some 26-27 coupe Garnish moldings especially for the rear quarters :(
    John Joyo...

18. ironhunter

ironhunter

I made some for a 28 Chevy a couple years ago, I could make some for a T. I rummaged through my T stuff and found a couple. I'll get to work on some dies this weekend and keep you posted as to what I come up with. The top and sides will be easy. The bottom will be a little tricky, but hell, I make complete body panels! Whipping up some T garnish moldings will be a cinch. I need another pair anyway for my second coupe
    Ray

19. ironhunter

ironhunter

Going to take 3 sets of dies. One set is finished...

20. TxRat

TxRat

Both Howell's and http://www.car-line.net/ are less than 5 mins from me. If you need help hand picking parts hit me up and I'll see if I can help...