Register now to get rid of these ads!

Single vrs dual

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T2B, Jan 6, 2010.

1. T2B

T2B
    from san diego

Show of hands please, how many of you are running single bore brake master cylinders and how many of you are running dual bore or twin brake master cylinders? I am stepping into my second build and am womdring about this. Safety is the concern. Thanks.

2. 3onthetree

3onthetree

I updated to a dual resivoir master cylinder when I switched to front disc brakes on my 63. If I were doing a factory correct restoration I would have stayed with a single, I drive mine whenever I can, so it just made sense to upgrade just for peace of mind and saftey reasons. I guess if you replaced the cups on a regular basis and changed the fluid regularly it would be pretty reliable. I still remember my Aunt driving a 65 Biscayne which had the single resivoir master cylinder. She drove right thru the carport one day when the brakes failed.

3. pickup56

pickup56

Sorry not really answering you question,
    but if you used a dual, would you use a
    booster ?

im about to change my brake system and
    was told you really dont need one if i
    was to go dual master.

Im thinking dual beacuase i can fit it
    some where else instead of the firewall.

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Dual on all three vehicles. Was not always so, but doesn't make sense to run the singles.

5. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

i have dual res. no booster, and front disc

6. cafekid

cafekid

DUAL........ much safer

7. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I never had issues with any of the cars/trucks I had with single..

Until this past summer I was sitting in my buddys driveway, which has a decent incline, and all of the sudden, poof...while at idle and in reverse, the pedal went to the floor and I was rolling quickly backwards.

As I tried to reach the ebrake, I went down, across street, between 2 parked cars, into yard across street missing a tree and fench, through another yard and back onto the street, all while going backwards.

I grabbed the ebrake finally, checked my shorts, checked my pulse and took a deep breath.

In hind-site, I shoulda threw it into drive and gave a alittle gas to stop the rolling, but it all happened in seconds...

This in a vehicle I had just driven almost 500 miles to a Goodguys show.

Now, for what little effort there is, Im going with dual m/c just to at least have some brakes if a wc or mc goes.

8. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Switching from single to dual chamber hopefully this weekend. If for no other reason, do it for the safety factor. And if you dont, a functioning parking park is an absolute must. I learned this the hard way when a organial hardline went out on my Buick. They stopped making them like that in 67 for a reason, right?:confused:

9. thesupersized

thesupersized

i stayed with the single...just make sure everything is new...master, wheel cylinders, lines, hoses..having stick shift is always a plus.

10. duel without question! plus having a correctly functioning e-brake.

11. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Dual cylinders, power and manual, are available new from your local auto parts store for drum/drum and drum/disc brake setups.
    Most cars from about 67-72 or so could be had either way and with or without power too.

13. Anderson

Anderson

Dual on all fronts.

14. I converted my '51 from single to dual.

cuz...........

I don't like bung pucker.