Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Single stage paint help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Padtech, Apr 25, 2017.

1. metalman

metalman

Ha, ha, yeah. I was painting my brothers car, ran to get something to eat while the base flashed, he hung out at the shop. While I was gone he decided to pull the tire covers and Armor All his tires, then put the covers back. Boy did I have a nasty surprise when I started the clear! Had to throw my tire covers away as well.
    To the OP, my experience it is usually water in the line. I also have had a similar experience with bad catalyst. If you leave the cap off the catalyst it can absorb moisture from the air (humidity) and cause real problems, doesn't take long. Moisture in most cases it looks like solvent pop to the eye but up close (magnified) it usually has a small crystal like speck in the crater.

Odie398, henryj1951 and loudbang like this.
  2. Padtech

Padtech

So. I removed my water filter. Ran 25 ft of hose from my compressor to the filter then my air line from there. Drained my tank and mixed a small amount of paint according to the directions and made a few passes on a junk hood. Seems to have done the trick. I believe it was water in the lines due to my filter being on the tank. As soon as my new shop is done I'll install a more permanent air supply system. Thanks for all the help and ill load some pics once iv sprayed the car.

henryj1951 likes this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Like I said :)

henryj1951 likes this.
  4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Exactly...

loudbang and john worden like this.
  5. Blackout, I have the same problem in my shop with dust .I just wait 30 days and try and buff it out. Yours still looks real GOOD!!!Bruce.

loudbang likes this.
  6. 57 Heap I use fish eye eliminator in my 1st coat of paint to take care of that.Bruce.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  7. oldolds, your right about it getting hot.I drain mine in side and out a couple times a day when using it a lot.Bruce.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Padtech

Padtech

Hey guys. So I drained my tank today. Masked the car. Cleaned with 91% alcohol and wiped w a tack rag before spraying. Turned out pretty good. Couple fisheyes but nothing I can't live with. I did buy some fisheye remover but I'm not sure if it's compatible with acrylic enamel or just urethane. I did add some and spray a test panel and had no problems but decided not to use it. Sprayed a light mist coat then a simi wet coat then a wet coat.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  9. Padtech

Padtech

Now. Can anyone give me pointers on how not to get tiger stripes. I ended up putting more coats on the hood then I would like and had to spray a orientation coat or mist coat from different directions at the end.

henryj1951 likes this.
  10. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Usually reduce the pressure a little and mist a coat from at least 2 or 3 times the height as normal.

henryj1951 and loudbang like this.
  11. clean clean clean
    use a 'paint only' hose
    gloves----never touch with bare hands when it gets past the body work stage (removing hand prints sucks)
    nothing beats good old soap and water (not the car wash stuff--can sometimes contain wax)
    I like to clean with an alcohol based cleaner first then follow with wax and grease remover (the stuff they sell at the chain parts store is too strong and can damage primers)
    A good quality ammonia based glass cleaner can also be used
    filter on the compressor and filter on the gun
    always allow to 'gas off' or 'flash' between coats. if it fingerprints and is not stringy you are good to go (always touch the paper and not the car : )

loudbang likes this.
  12. Tighter overlap.
    Travel faster or dial less material,
    And a nice drop coat over your last wet coat.

SS metallic silver is hard to get perfect.

13. Padtech

Padtech

I think it was my overlap. Maybe 75% on horizontal panels and 50% on vertical. ??

henryj1951 likes this.
  14. Padtech

Padtech

Also. This is a fisheye , correct???

Attached Files:

henryj1951 likes this.
  15. BJR

BJR

When I spray a color with lots of metallic I alternate the direction of the spray. Front to back first pass, left to right on the second pass. 3rd pass spray from about 3 feet in the air with a heavy mist coat will usually get rid of tiger stripes. On the last coat I usually thin the paint a little more then recommended.

16. image.jpeg

17. southcross2631

southcross2631

This may sound redneck, but it works . With those little compressors , the tank gets so hot it makes water. Take a 55 gallon drum and coil a 50 foot air hose in the barrel and fill it with water. That cools the air down so won't be so hot and carry the moisture . Put your water trap right on the outlet end of the hose. Sorta like a still in reverse. An old guy from south Ga showed me that trick except he used copper pipe with fittings. I didn't like the copper pipe because of the pressure ,but it worked for him for years and he did some nice paint jobs.
    Keep any silicones away from your painting area.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Padtech

Padtech

That's a neat idea. I actually have a 80 gallon compressor that was given to me. Ill install it in my new shop when it's finished. Don't have the electrical for it now.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Build a franzinator.
    The coil idea would work great, not sure how the hose would do. Lots of guys hang 50' of line on the wall with elbows, tees and drain valves up down up down up down up down

henryj1951 likes this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

All of these air issues and tips to solve them are why I decided to go with a 3 stage turbine HVLP system.
    Clean dry air. And minimal overspray.

jazz1 and 120mm like this.
  21. Padtech

Padtech

Blue one. Which brand and model did you go with. Iv been looking into these systems.

22. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

It el COST cha...

And for me, the dang -->*17 inch spray pattern Sata*<-- works hard at those tiger stripes , like BJR says , but i modify some, its a front back left right and X and that becomes an overall blend.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  23. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Yes , it may be the worst. I saw a vette at a car show one time, and was stunned, no mottling, no tiger stripes, no flaws WHATSOEVER i had to find him and congratulate his skills, he said i was the ONLY one who noticed, and thanked me.

loudbang and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  24. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    120mm and loudbang like this.
  26. Padtech

Padtech

Here's the finished product. I don't think it came out too bad for my second time spraying acrylic enamel.. couple fisheyes but no runs. Still getting water in my line. My water separator is really filling up now.

Attached Files:

jazz1, loudbang, reagen and 1 other person like this.
  27. jeffyg82

jeffyg82

To not stripe I put a tack coat on for the first coat then coat 2 is semi wet followed by a dusting 3rd coat is fairy wet followed by a dusting the dusting evens the metallics. Down fall to single stage metallic is cut and polish is really not an option makes the metallic look like hell..... just a garage painter not a pro although I turn out some beauties

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Padtech

Padtech

Yea I found out the hard way that you can't cut and buff a ss metalic, w my first project. Looks like crap. The only problem w dusting on ss is you have to do it while your last coat is wet or it lays down dry.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

If your big compressor is close, run your air hose to it and fill it up. The air will cool and you draw your air from it. I did this for years with a small compressor.

loudbang likes this.
  30. 120mm

120mm
    from Iowa

I was actually restraining myself from making this exact response. I've ditched a conventional or faux HVLP gun years ago and do turbine HVLP only.

My home paint booth has so little overspray you couldn't even tell I paint in it, and I never worry about contamination. You can't even smell the paint from the outside of my shop when I'm blowing paint.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Blue One and henryj1951 like this.