Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SINGLE MASTER CYLINDER VERSES DUAL MASTER CYLINDER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 7, 2020.

1. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

The only post-1954 parts in my AV8 rpu are a Pertronix ignition and a '65 Mustang dual master cylinder.

They're both hidden, of course.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. These threads are cool.
    I drive mine a lot. That’s the main reason I use newer brakes. Parts are cheap and easy to find. that saves more old stuff for the purist to enjoy.
    It’s a win win for all.

3. It seems that you're using faulty logic. A brake failure doesn't depend on miles driven.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Not driving them much is not healthy for brakes.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Safety trumps period correct every time on my builds! I always convert to dual masters.
    I just finished a 1200 mile cruise in my '39 Chev coupe WITH dual master, and front disc brake conversion.

[​IMG]

6. Agreed. I'm thinking condensation is a main problem.

anthony myrick and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. I went back and deleted my posts on this thread, I have no interest in debating logic.

I was clearly wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Elcohaulic and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JFYI, the first Mustang with a dual master was '67, the year dual/tandem masters were mandated by the DOT. :)

9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

65 mustang was a fruit jar single 67 was the first dual.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Thread after thread after thread on the HAMB about brake problems. Most of these involve dual cylinder and disk conversions. The theme seems to be the same in all these brake threads....

My brakes suck after I did all this.:rolleyes:
    My brakes do not work after I did all this.:eek:
    I have no brakes in the rear.:eek:
    On and on and on.....

I honestly believe a lot of these folks would have been much better off staying with the simple stock system.

I was a good way into swapping a '65 F100 to a dual master. I decided to use the stock fruit jar. More plumbing means more points of failure. In a way it equals out.

The main deciding factor in that was, I was not convinced that the stock single cylinder pedal geometry (despite recommended rod adjustment/modification) could adequately utilize a dual cylinder. In the end I decided the simple single cylinder was best for my application.

With that I know what I have and I drive accordingly.

Remember this, these vehicles come from a time when people actually had to know how drive a car. A brake failure is a possibility in any vehicle. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that "real men" run single cylinders. No. I'm saying sometimes simple is better. I'm saying no matter what system is used be prepared for a problem. I'm saying do not rely on double cylinder so much that it leads to complacency. That safety factor may not be as good as you think. Your mail order back yard engineered zippity dooh-dah brake system may not be as good as you think. Be prepared to drive the car regardless. Example....down shifting, E brake, evasive maneuvers, knowing the feel... being ever diligent in pedal changes and having the discipline to park it and park it right then if there is any change in brake feel regardless of what system you use.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  11. Amen Brother! HRP

Flat Six Fix and 3W JOHN like this.
  12. Thepartsbinguy1

Thepartsbinguy1
    from Space

Now I’m curious if the clutch side drained dry would the pool on the brake side keep enough fluid to function?? And vise versa? BA477BAD-8934-4544-8D99-B37275450AC1.jpeg

13. Never had an issue with the swap (except a bad MS out of the box)
    Extra plumbing?
    That’s the easiest thing to do.
    Where folks mess up is guessing or trying to mix and match components.
    I have added discs, boosters, dual master cyls with no issues except better stopping.
    From stock to road race set ups.
    Maybe I’m doing it wrong
    Honestly if you have issues with simple master cyl or disc swaps the stock stuff will probably have issues as well.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I currently have a stock under floor single MC in my V8 powered 55 Fargo truck.
    Oh yes I sure think about it a lot, enough at times making me paranoid about approaching lighted intersections.
    Truck has stock Lockheed brakes up front and modern self energizing drums in rear.
    All brand new parts 5 years back.
    I have had wheel cyl leakage without a system failure. Most likely because i monitor everything like a Hawk, thanx to web forums like this for better or worse.
    Okay my 2 only MC failures happened on a 1971 car and a 1990 car, both equipped with dual MCs.
    The 71 a front brake hose split going right from a dead stop at an intersection. Brakes were utterly useless and at highway speed in a panic stop would be utterly useless. The entire brake system was not up to spec.
    2nd failure 1990 car on a residential side street approaching an intersection. Rear calipre failed, I still had some brakes but not a whole lot. In a highway speed panic stop they would have been useless.
    The dual MC allows some buffer from 0 brakes to some braking I suppose. In my 1971s case it was total failure.
    The jury is still out on the future on my MC choice for my Fargo, but so is a front disc brake conversion too.
    If I go dual MC will retrofit 1 underfloor to work in my case.
    I have seen so many discussions on this topic over the years, much like oil types etc.
    What do the facts state, empirical data supports dual MC Im sure.
    This decision has nothing to do with my feelings of fondness for either direction.
    In my case its been a decision to trial and hope and pray no error.
    This component and topic make me think more than any other single item while out driving in my old heap thats a 4 sure.
    Thanx HRP Im enjoying the topic. I will not take a stand 100 % for single jug, as those words may be more than just eatin if there is a failure.
    Ebrakes in good working order are a must, i need to address this in winter.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I removed 8 lug aluminum drums from my 64 Bonneville for disc brakes. After it was all said and done, yep, you guessed it, the 11" drum braking system stopped that big Bonneville faster with better brake modulation...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. I've experienced several single master cylinder and only one dual master cylinder brake failures over the last 50 years. The dual brake system IS better because it gives you some redundancy. Pretty simple...

When I went through my roadster 20 years ago I incorporated a dual system on the '40 Ford front brakes and '55 Chev. rear brakes for safety. But I have never been happy with the brakes on that thing and will do something different when I tear it apart again.

On the Cad powered '40 Ford I got on the road this summer I installed a set of Boling Bros. Lincoln brakes on the front; stock rear brakes and the stock single master cylinder. Works great! No issues bleeding them and a good solid pedal with no fussing around. Far different than the dual system on my roadster... Think I'll leave well enough alone.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. 2manycars2littletime

2manycars2littletime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a single MC on my 57 Corvette (in the 80s) and my high end restored 58 Buick, but everything else gets a dual MC, including the 33 Pontiac I'm currently building.

I always make certain that the e-brake functions properly on EVERY car.
    You never know when it will be the only brake system you have.

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It should as long as things are adjusted properly. That's the reason there is a divider in the reservoir.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

;):)

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

In 1970 and 71 I worked for Sears doing front ends and brakes. Out right brake fails are rare most will let you that some thing is going wrong. But saying so I had a Chrysler dual system with the complaint of I went to stop and there weren't any brakes. So I check the car out good brakes I drive the car in the employe parking lot make stop after stop no problem. Then I drive back to the shop and almost go through the door pedal went to the floor next stop pedal was fine. Replaced master cylinder. Thank goodness for E brakes. Then you have systems when back fitting they don't put in the warning light. The valve that turns on the light also blocks off the half of the system that failed. With out the light how long do you go with out knowing you lost half of the brakes? I have worked on cars where they tell me the light has been on for over a year.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020