Register now to get rid of these ads!

Since we are so traditional here.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lippy, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

This
    [​IMG]

and the 55 is ShakyPuddin55's before he put the straight axle under it.

2. Already am doing that. Using the '64 Rulebook. Probably be C or D gas unless I decide to use the big engine.

If you are running race gas it is still gas. A 12 or 13:1 engine will run on 110 octane fine if it is properly tunned. 13:1 with iron heads may be tricky to tune for most it has to be properly built to start with. You could buy 110 octane from Sunoco when I was a kid or a young man if you prefer. So the only real difference between it and modern 110 octane race gas is where you buy it at.

I guess it is considered a hard line to draw but I still think that if it is a gasser it should be run on gas.

3. Well, this is pretty interesting and full of Opinions, and you know what they say about those .....

And here's mine. My car is a "Real Gasser". What do I mean by that? It was raced in the day when the NHRA had Gasser Classes. It set a track record at Irwindale and a National Record (that only lasted a day) at Carlsbad in B/Gas. And it is stiil in the legal configuration of late 1960's NHRA rules. And guess what - it ran GAS. And furthermore it still runs GASOLINE in it's Hilbron injectors, to the tune of low 9's at over 150.

Yes, guys that match raced back in the day ran everything from Alky to Nitor, but those cars never had to be class legal for anything. Personally I think all "Gassers" running today should run GAS and be required to be legal to at least some form for the rules from back then. Otherwise they will turn into the same joke that is current Nostalgia Funny Car, which are basically A/FC cars with old bodies.

And to the ones that say Turbos don't run Alky, you better tell the guy I work with who owns a twin turbo Small block Chevy door car that just happens to be the fastest SBC drag car in history (263 IIRC) and has run as quick as 5.91 in the 1/4 - On Alcohol!

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Jean, I am in my room. :D:D Good to see you here bud. Lippy

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Ok, I got an opinion too since anything goes here. I am here because I love traditional hotrods and anything else. If It were up to me, No FED's with P/G transmissions, (If you ain't got a clutch, you ain't got much) LOL, Everyone on at least 85% juice. Ok, you FED guys can run alky if ya want. Gassers on gas, Everyone tows with an open trailer:D , Or towbar. :) If this is not agreeable, then keep going the way your going and soon this will be a semi, maybe partial, kinda traditional site. :DSeems there are a lot of racers here on this site. Oh and Hotroddin, the N/FC's only have 20 gal pumps. And I love that Anglia. My brother had a 49 with a 331, hilborns and a 4 speed. On GAS. ;) Wild little bugger. Lippy

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Marty, thankyou. And I completely remember the site and smell of a hemi blown on gas.:cool: What a beautiful pickup. Lippy

7. The Shocker

The Shocker

Looks like John set a trap and let you fall into it :D .You were so anxious to cut him up you bought it. I have seen his "T" (steel car BTW) run in the 5.60's in the 1/8.I think its running a blown destroked Small Block .Im thinking its a 377 ...

8. squirrel

squirrel

Pretty much everything about the HAMB is only partial, kinda traditional. So the alky burning gassers fit in just fine.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Yeah Jim I know. It's not up to me anyway, just mouthing off. :)

[​IMG]

10. slammed

slammed

The '55 is no concern to me. This other car of Bean Dip's.
    What motor? Size, stroke, heads, ect?

11. Cooder2

Cooder2
    from tejas

Things haven't changes all that much.......you run what you can get away with :D

12. rick finch

rick finch

I see revisionist history is alive and well...

[​IMG]

13. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

i dont let people tell me what i can or cant do with my cars. what you stick in the tank is your own buisiness. ray

14. But they keep getting caught with bigger pumps too. :D Thanks for the compliement
    Not sure i'd really call that "Traditional" either :eek:

NOT when you're racing!

15. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Not sure i'd really call that "Traditional" either :eek:

"That" is the baddest steel bodied T coupe in the land. I have already asked to match race your "9 second but easily 8's possibly 7 evens REAL GASSER" and haven't heard a yes. Ya skeered?? Don't worry about it...I will make it easy for you and haul my shit half way across the country to prove what I'm saying. Like I say...talk is easy. Line em up or......well:cool:

P.s. I'll even run GAS in it if that will steady your nerves

P.s. #2 You will all be thrilled to know that this will be the last post I ever make on the main board. I know my place

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Bean, c'mon ya got a nice T, no one is saying it's slow. But you have to admit, it's not a traditional gasser type car. That is what this thread is for to determine ....hell, I don't know what it's for now! LOL. :D

17. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

All ya gotta do is jack up the front end. Bingo! Gasser! Ya get yer fuel anywhere ya see a pump. If yer lucky they may carry some neat trinkets, or stickers to personalize yer "gasser"

18. Not sure what your point is. The baddest steel T coupe in the land? Really? you've seen and raced against every T in the country :eek: WOW

As for racing against my car, It is currently set up for a specific era that it raced in, and that is carrying it to low 9's. Like I said it could be stepped up pretty easy to run a lot faster, but being an Anglia, that holds true to what it has always been as an historic car, I refuse to add spoilers or wings to hold that short, tall, skinny car to the ground or change from the 90" wheelbase just to go faster and ruin the provenance of the car.
    You already know what you car will run, and I presume you are comfortable that it is faster than 9.20's so there really isn't any point to it. It's really kind of a silly challenge, like school kid playground talk - my car is faster that your car. So what? They are two very different things built for two very different reasons to race.
    What exactly would it prove? That it goes whatever it is you say it goes? Well, hell - you can just show us a certified time slip from a local track for that.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Actually "jacking up the front end" has NOTHING to do with whether its a gasser or not, thats more about "gassers". But the lack of fenders and headlights sure as hell does. Not a gasser by any stretch of anyones vivid imagination, its an altered. Always has been, and always will be.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Good to hear from you Rick. This was my desk-top at work for a LONG time...

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Gasser = Gasoline. Simple as that.

I built the Willys to run on E85, for many reasons.

But when I applied to run with the Geezer Gassers, they rejected me. Reason: Gassers run on Gasoline.

now that is traditional and accurate.

didn't stop me from having a ton of fun, so do what you wish.

But if you want pure tradition...Gassers run on Gas.

and by the way, Gassers run on Gas.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd say that about covers it...:D

23. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I know nothing about gassers, but I'm here to learn and have followed this thread with great interest. I think the above quote is just pointing out that the current trend towards gassers is very much fuelled (see what I did there) by wannabes with this attitude. It obviously just ain't as simple as that.
    Paul

24. There's the ONLY logical answer/comment!

PERIOD!

If you are running anything else, you are NOT a TRUE GASser.

25. drofdar

drofdar
    from Fresno Ca

At A.N.R.A. we have A - E Gas class. (E-Gas 11.60 index) Based on e.t., not weight to cubic inches ratio. So, are we really running old style Gasser's? Probably not. Is it fun? What do ya think? You could add a can of Bud Light to the tank and nobody would care. My 55 BBC has 10:5-1 compression and I use 110 leaded because the timing is set fairly advanced. Runs 11.50's. For the street, I change the jets, put the muffler pipes on and use pump premium. I would not set up a car for alky that did time on the street. But for the strip, running cooler can be a big plus. But, what do I know? Since I have modern seat/shoulder harness/crotch restraint, and a Full Face certified helmet, and the car is set up with the best in safety, perhaps I should not be lurking on this forum at all!

Attached Files:

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I was wondering when the gas vs. other fuel topic would end up getting sidetracked to the nose high topic. Seems that as soon as someone builds a gasser style car the chants begin about gassers in the 60's weren't nose high. Not sure where the info comes from, but gassers were all over the place in nose height. If there weren't any nose high gassers then NHRA would never have made the 24" crank center rule. The rule was made because so many guys were raising the frontends to get better weight transfer, and pushing over 24" to the crank snout.
    Oh, and gassers run on gas.:)

27. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Oh, and I would like to point out in all fairness, Bean Dip did NOT claim his car was a gasser and he didn't post his car up here first. Someone else did. I miss hard slicks and no water box. :D Lippy

28. OK. I'm sensing the sarcasm. So I'll lay some more on.

Dad ran a '64 Vette in the Gas class back in the middle of the gas class hayday. (Ran mostly mid-9's btw)

Transplant 427 bbc in place of 327 sbc.

Ran racing gas (not nitro or alky).

Pulled out the rear and put a conventional rear under it (Cut the quarters to allow for bigger meats).

Left the independent front suspension but jacked it up.

Was it a 'gasser' if he didn't put the straight axle under it?

Or more losely....what if he didn't jack up the front end? Is it a gasser then?

I guess an even dumber question could be...if it's the mid-'60's and you are running in the Gas class.....does that make you a Gasser? Or does Gasser strictly apply to the rigid definition of a raised suspension setup? :)

What is a Gasser exactly? (I think I know but sometimes you learn a lot from the responses to stupid questions. LOL)

29. squirrel

squirrel

I think the whole point of this thread is that the term "gasser" has changed meaning over the past few decades. It used to mean a car that ran in the Gas class at the drags, now it means a 50 years later caricature of some of those cars.

30. "Gasser" doesn't have a damn thing to do with straight axles or jacked up front ends. PERIOD. Although many ran one, the other, or both that had to do with Maximilian weight transfer and traction until better suspensions were figured out. Neither was a requirement nor even necessary. Nor were they common among the lower classes, say from about C/Gas on down. It may have defined the look for many folks and be what stirred their soul, but it was just a by product of making the car go down the track as best as possible on the technology of the day. By the late 60's, very few were nose high anymore!