Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SIMPLE wiring diagram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Apr 5, 2018.

1. It can be. Some attention seeking behavior is displayed by those who truly don't give a rats ass about anything and no matter what happens they can't be butt hurt. Some ASB comes from a very deep desire and longing for approval and praises - that's when the butt hurt comes on strong from not getting that approval, or worse yet (dun dadun daduuuuun) ridicule. Oh good gravey their whole world just fractured like safety glass.

INVISIBLEKID and Johnny Gee like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

I think he was actually trying to help simplify somethings...but then some criticism came down, and probably then realized what he posted wasn't right/good/etc. Then probably felt embarrassed and decided to exit stage right, instead of learning/listening.

I give the guy credit for trying to help out, could have been a better post...sure...should have been here's what I do...add to it please..

I really think he was trying to help..then got hit with a few other "what about...?" and he split.

Bummer, seems he's been around here for a long time.

Hate to lose a HAMB'r over this...hopefully he'll come back.

3. It's great to have a positive attitude and see the bright side, I really admire that.

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Your feminine side is showing Vicky^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5. ok, everybody gets a trophy.....

6. Budget36

Budget36

Well smooches!

7. Budget36

Budget36

I think it should be effeminate side.

But I won't say no more;)

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm sure that's exactly all he wanted to do. I for one understood what he posted in terms of all and only what's needed. It's possible that's it's so easy for him that it doesn't register that wiring can be hard. Some people think all people think alike. This isn't true.

9. Nope, that wasn't it. If he had any clue about wiring, he would never have posted what he did.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

All way's blow the feather's away before kissing a duck's butt hole. It makes the feeling that much better.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  11. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I, too, used this book. Just getting the internal circuits inside a GM column justified the price.

12. image.jpeg How much simpler could you get than this?

13. Eliminate the plus sign and the inverted triangle ground symbol

14. Shoot. I missed it. What did the OP post for a wiring diagram?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Have you or anyone else that understands automotive electrical given any thought to PRE WIRING? Us electricaly CLUELESS would like to know how many miles of wire and related gizmos go into a vehicle BEFORE the paint and upholstery is installed. You can't run conduit if you don't know how many wires will be in it. It is a personal thing with me but any time it see someone use the word SIMPLE in an electrical discussion I stop reading, IT IS NOT, aside from using a match to check the gas level in your tank it is the most likely way to torch your ride. Bob

Thor1 likes this.
  16. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

We have a shop that does a lot of wiring jobs and have used just about every brand, Painless, EZ, Rhode Island, Ron Francis, Hot Rod, you name it. For years we used Mr. Roadster for ones on a budget which I think was bought by Speedway. I'm too old and blind anymore to scrunch up under a dash but peeped at a $150 Speedway 12 circuit harness going onto a 51 Pontiac and was amazed at how much better the instruction sheets has become. All in correct wire colors on huge oversize glossy sheets with individual auxiliary sheets for individual components like instrument panel, switches, etc. Each wire has it's destination printed on it every couple feet just like the high dollar ones. For years when we made our own harnesses I gathered up complete dashes (even ones that had to be cut out) and stored them in a shed so the wires could be run in an organized tidy fashion and not use the rat's nest approach. With these new ones that nearly install themselves I predict more vacancy in the storage shed.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is another thing, NOBODY can post anything electrically related ( no matter how basic) without it being challenged or corrected. I just want to know were and how many wires need to be run to make the job stress free for the guy that does it after I've passed on. Bob

olscrounger likes this.
  18. How I did my own.
    Wiring 001.jpg Wiring 002.jpg

alanp561, Cosmo50 and '51 Norm like this.
  19. Yes I have; that's why I did this.... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/wiring-101.843579/

The problem is guys are looking for short cuts. They equate 'simple' with 'fast' or 'easy' and want to be able to just buy a harness, slap it in and be good to go. With little or no thought given as to if what they bought is actually what they need. But as you point out, it's not that simple....

Designing a harness isn't that tough unless you really get carried away with electrical accessories, but does require pre-planning. There's multiple steps involved, no one step that's that hard but unless you do all of them, you may or may not get what you want or need. So while each individual step may be 'simple', there's a lot of steps. Miss or skip a few and that's when 'issues' crop up...

I'd compare this to buying a set of wheels/tires. Guy will agonize over sizes, brand, type, etc before purchasing. So would you go to a tire store, drop your car off and just tell the salesman that 'I want four wheels and tires put on the car' with no further direction? And get what you want? Yet guys will purchase a harness with no more info than 'I need X number of circuits' and then struggle with it when it's not quite (or even close to) what they needed.

Do all the needed pre-planning, then when you go to buy a harness you'll be able to ask if the harness is actually suitable for what you're doing...

My favorite saying back when I was working/running jobs was the 'Seven Ps'...
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. This is always true....

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  20. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I had a diagram a lot like that. I wish I knew where I put it.

21. I think the best thing to do is study up a little,
    Get a firm grasp on the basics,
    Know what you want and where you want it,
    Know the loads of each one of those components,

Those 4 items are enough to scare off most guys, yet it's very simply just as simple as simple can get. Without those 4 you can't even get started properly on the simplest of wiring jobs.

22. You know what would be a simple wiring diagram?
    A fucking blueprint of the harness, laid out on a flat table and it won't be on one page.
    I've yet to see one like that, every diagram Ive ever seen puts the components in places that aren't appropriate to the surounding components. None of the wires lengths are drawn to any type of relative scale.

This is pretty simple wiring, not a bad diagram but still a mess.
    Wires do not jump over other wires with semi ellipses, draftsmen do that. The wires are not ran like that in the car but the draftsmen and publishers want it all on one page.
    image.png

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That must read well for the iPhone equipped reader:confused: Bob .

24. I don't make schematics for my harnesses........then when I work on them later I cuss out the stupid person who made it.

25. In all seriousness though, if your going to make your own harness and aren't really confident about it. I suggest picking a schematic from a car close to what your doing (fuse box vs. circuit breakers for example), print it out kinda large and start eliminating the circuits your not going to use. Then wire it according to the rest (matching wire and fusible link gauges, along with fuses), at least this will get you real close.

To me a majority of the hard work is hiding the wires and making it look good.

26. leon bee

leon bee

i like to use mostly all same color wire, too.

XXL__ likes this.
  27. I know an electrical trainer who teaches all circuits should be drawn in a straight line.

Does make sense and may help some.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. You can write a check, pay your bills, play on the damn cell phone, mow your lawn, dress yourself, and wipe your ass........ How hard is it to run a circuit?
    If your a bit older...Say 60+, and you've been a "car guy" for a while, more like decades, like some of you, shouldn't at least BASICS remind you of something? If you can't comprehend the simplest automotive basics, get back on the porch. F! been that way since the dawn of time! And NO- I'm not asking you to diagnose your computer controlled vehicle...... Can you at least set points? Your here, on the HAMB. You should know some shit besides Auburn grilles, and what mirrors came on the right or left........
    Damn- How the hell did you survive all your life?
    Rant over........ Frustrated reading .....................UUGGHHH!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  29. A circuit works the same if it is just one or one of 12 or one of 12,000. Same same

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe, but what gauge wire is safe to use, and for the record I don't have a cell phone either. Bob

lippy likes this.