Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods silver nitrate hydra chrome (home depot)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, May 13, 2015.

1. So home depot has the alsa corp silver nitrate plating system for 200$ any one used it? Its the hdra chrome/water chrome stuff. I need to chrome my wheels and can't afford it.was wondering if this would work.of it does_maybe I could do my backing plates or front axle. It's a 20 oz. Kit supposedly able to cover 25 ft of material

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Nope, but you have me VERY curious because I've been wanting to try it. What section of Home Depot did they have it in?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. bubba55

bubba55

Got me curious too - looked at it on the internet - patience is required - said to watch the online videos to learn correct process - some reviews were very good - a few bad - said you needed to really prep surface for smoothness - gives a mirror like finish - right now I don't have $200 to experiment with - hope this thread goes somewhere - would be nice if this works!

4. CheapSheep

CheapSheep

Heard somwhere, no source on this though, that if you finish the surface down to about 1200 grit paper, you will get quite good finish actually. Heard nothing about how long it lasts. Specially when it's about wheels, i do have my doubts...

5. Blownfuel-its online order only from home depot.its the same thing alsa corp sells but home depot is I think about 100$ less.

Yeah I've been reading a bit about it,I've heard the same.some good some bad,lots of patience, lots of attention to detail,

My next option is chrome vinyl wrap.I've seen folks do black vinyl wrap on wheels and it lasted a decent amount of time and withstood the elements. Wonder if it could be done to a steel wheel.most I've see are on 5 spoke off topic wheels

6. Yeah I don't have 200$ to possibly be throwing away either

7. Thanks, Hooligan! FYI, there's a 126 page post on here titled DIY Spray On Chrome that has a LOT of info in it. It's closed now (due to being off topic), but at least they left it up instead of deleting it completely.

8. Road Angels

Road Angels

see what they want to do a chrome powder coat, call around some are fair priced some are a rip off, also if they are doing the color on another customers stuff then the price is cheaper, with out a copper plate for the chrome to bond to it wont last, best is chrome over copper 2nd best is chrome over nickel dead last is chrome on steel, it doesnt stick to steel it just makes it incased, also if they clear the chrome powder coat it will be silver and not chrome

9. models916

models916

Good thing about Home Depot, you send it back for a refund for any reason.

10. 62hotcat

62hotcat

I used alsa chrome paint type to do my fiberglass bumpers on my 62 catalina super stocker. It was about 10 years ago. You first had to paint them black then spray the chrome on which looked like chrome until the clear step. Wound up looking like polished aluminum. I didnt mind everybody thinks they are real aluminum. Still look good after 10 yrs. Also had wheels powder coated chrome looks close but more like polished aluminum. By the way the alsa kit did 3 bumpers which are very large. It goes a long way.

loudbang and Model T1 like this.
  11. pitman

pitman

Flash Chrome is one layer, Triple Plating (decorative?) is the Copper, Nickel, and Chrome, which we admire.

12. Yeah, seems like it's a common issue to loose some of the chrome effect with the clear coat. If I remember right, their tinting the clear blue (I think) now to get a more realistic chrome effect.

13. It is still paint.......that can chip.......

metlmunchr likes this.
  14. Looks like some have not read fully.

I do not want powder coat chrome powder coat does not look like chrome. I know the price of it already and it ain't cheap at all.in fact real chrome isn't much more.

The alsa kit IS sprayed over black paint and it itself is NOT pain its a silver plating. Am am NOT talking about the chrome spray paint

15. Blownfuel-yeah I have been reading that thread you speak of

16. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

After checking into the price of plating before starting my F100 build I looked for an alternative and this was the very co. that I thought I would try their product. It's this or a home brew nickel plating set up.

17. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

18. Yup, same stuff, except he did a lot of experimentation with other products as well.

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The best response ever to these threads is this : :rolleyes:

porknbeaner likes this.
  20. LOL Unless there is some sort of a law or medical benefit to chrome wheels then it is a want and not a need.

I like the chrome ceramic coat and the chrome powder coat. The ceramic coat looks more like chrome but the powder has a neat look about it. Of course I like black paint too but that is because I usually have some black paint. ;)

21. Chrome........ what the hell is chrome?

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  22. LOL it is modern nickel plate. :D

23. Silly me to of thought every reply here would be of value or seriousness!

24. Sicspeed,yeah its that same stuff

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My response was both of value and seriousness.

62hotcat likes this.
  26. Seriously when it stops being fun we'll stop doing it.

Most of us are butts and you already know that, hopefully in between the foolishness you find an acceptable solution for your problem. I am not in Calif these days but around here you can get your wheels powder coated or ceramic coated for about 25-30 dollars a wheel which is why I suggested it. I am guessing that chrome around her would run 150-200 dollars a wheel, and that is only if you can talk the guy into it, he is mostly retired these days.

62hotcat likes this.
  27. The only thing that really looks like chrome is chrome... I've tried the various 'chrome' coatings, and not one of them will be mistaken for real chrome in person after application. They photograph this stuff to it's best advantage; if you put a matching real chrome part next to any of them, the difference will be obvious. You will get the best effect without a clearcoat, but the finishes are fragile without one which is why a clearcoat is always recommended. Like Hotcat says, if a polished aluminum-like finish is acceptable, go for it; if you think these will look like real chrome, you'll be disappointed....

Out of all the faux chrome finishes, powdercoat with a clearcoat will be the most durable for the least money. If you have a way to get the wheels perfectly clean down to bare metal, for not much more money than you're looking to spend on this kit you can put together a powdercoating set-up and coat these at home. And have the ability to coat other parts when you're done...

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    62hotcat, loudbang and afaulk like this.
  28. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Silver nitrate isn't paint. It's electroplated silver. Easily scratched, and expensive, but it shines like... well, because it is.

It does tarnish, and will need to be polished regularly, or clear coated.

29. Are red wheels still out.....?..............shouldn't be much longer..................

seatex and plumbid like this.
  30. pitman

pitman

The Beaner is right!
    Tis a war of wits among un-armed men! :p

seatex likes this.