Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Silver Engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dooley, Sep 26, 2012.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

i just freshened up the 360 in the Plymouth and it became Hammerite silver this time...

Attached Files:

2. I had the tin work powder coated with a silver metalic, then I clear coated them and painted the block and head iron block cast.

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Moriarity, that is beautiful...

lots of different silvers out there...with the black fram and inner fenders, and the dark firewall I think that silver might make the engine "pop"...

4. outlaw256

outlaw256

if i build a engine thats gonna get some chrome i try to use a color that will let the chrome kinda pop out there. silver seems to take that pop away.gold does it now for me. paint it the same as the car and chrome it up!!

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That looks Great !

Ray

6. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

my engine has a new RPM air gap, not polished, a set of aluminum speedway finned valve covers, and old cal custom finned 10 inch aior cleaner, a chrome timing cover, chrome pulleys and the rest will be painted the color of the block

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just personal experience, but plan on either polishing that air gap or painting it. That's kinda how my engine ended up silver this time. The shelf on that manifold will hold water, oil, dust, dirt, and even small pteridactles that end up in your engine compartment and will stain almost instantly before you eyes. Paint or polish, trust me on this one...

8. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

9. the boogieman

the boogieman

i think the law reads if ur gonna run a sbc ur colors are limited to orange or black. lol otherwise there will be miss alighnment of the stars. and bad things will happen! paint it anyway flavor you want! but heres mine.

Attached Files:

10. outlaw256

outlaw256

hes right on this one. do something with it before you put it on or its gonna look like shit and it wont take long... hey boogieman, ive heard that too. but damn chevy orange is a ugly ass color. and i love the sbc too!just not orange...lol

11. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

if i paint the manifld silver, is there any special way to do this, do I need a special primer?

12. upspirate

upspirate

I vote for the Pontiac blue, Gold,SBC orange,copper,or there was a darker gold one posted on another thread that was really sharp.

I like the pin striping idea on the gold one that was posted on this thread.....would make the orange stand out in a crowd!!!

13. upspirate

upspirate

I blasted my GM aluminum manifold and it looked like new as cast, then had my body shop clear coat it with Imron.

Unfortunately, it looked gray instead of just cleared aluminum,but it held up well.

14. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

I painted mine Eastwood Tunnel Ram metalic grey / silver

Attached Files:

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Lotsa guys 'back in the day' thought that aluminum paint WAS chrome. Shoulda seen the sloppy messes in the engine compartments...

16. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

i found a can of hammertone paint in the garage....GOLD.... thanks Moriarity....
    I love the silver but i think between the aluminum vc's and manifold, and my silver holley carb and my silver rams horns it may get lost, so....

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sounds like a damn good idea to me! I think what makes a silver engine work is if it is detailed in black. Once you go putting chrome on it it just looks too, well, too.

18. IRISH13

IRISH13
    from SoCal

I think cast iron gray looks good and makes the shiney stuff pop.

Attached Files:

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you will like the gold, there are several gold painted engine threads. search for em, gold rocks!