Register now to get rid of these ads!

silly question? ignition coil condenser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ryangobie, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

thought it was a good idea to replace the 40 yr old coil in my car and theres a lil condenser hanging off the side connected to the positive lead of the coil. whats it do? my new coil didn't come with one and it isn't mentioned in my shop manual in the ignition system section. do i need it?

2. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

Yes, you need it:
    Condenser: Those same principles of inductance create a kind of paradox, because when the points open and the magnetic field collapses it also induces a current in the primary as well. It's not very much because there are only a few windings in the primary, but it's enough to jump a small air-gap, such as the one between the just-opening points in the distributor. That tiny spark is enough to erode metal away from the points and you'll 'burn' the points. It prevents the points from arcing and prevents coil insulation breakdown by limiting the rate of voltage rise at the points.

3. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

is it the same condenser that's in the distributor or different? i can't find mention of it...

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

there one on or inside the dist,if there is two,other being on the coil,it's got a radio sub.=only needed if you have a working radio to keep spark noise out.

5. toadfrog

toadfrog
    from Arkansas

I've had cars that had one on the coil and in the dizzy.

I'd just put it back on with the new coil. I don't know exactly what you are working on??

Is there a cond. in the dizzy also????

6. ryangobie

ryangobie
    from Jersey

yea, sorry if i wasn't clear. theres 2. one in the distributor and one on the outside of the ignition coil.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

The one on the coil is probably to reduce the static in the radio. Some generators and alternators have them too.