Register now to get rid of these ads!

Signs on car windshields indicating "not for sale"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pasadenahotrod, Jul 23, 2007.

1. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My favorite was shoe-polished on the windshield of a really nice early 60s Chevelle style El Camino around the corner from our house.
    "Don't even ask!"

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I saw one at the LA Roadster show that just said NOPE

3. There's a 21 window bus out here that says "GO AWAY"

4. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I know a girl whos license plate reads "NOT4YOU" because people were always asking her to sell her truck.

5. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

"I'm a good shot, and can see you from here!"

spray painted on the windshield of a 70's disco Vette next to a barn outside of Canyon,Texas

6. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Who cares? and I only replied to this since it was still on top.........

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

for the most part throwing a tarp over it is worse for the car than letting it sit out. The tarp will hold moisture in and accelerate the rusting process. Most people won't buy a good wuality cover that will breath and let the moisture out.

8. Road Runner

Road Runner

I can't believe how many people have and are asking me if my truck's for sale, for over a decade now.

It's like asking if my dogs are for sale or my wife and kids, if I had any....wtf

One time I yelled at a harmless guy: You see a for sale sign anywhere...? holding back the fine words I learned. - Felt bad later.

I get sick if some dude with lose cash automatically thinks if an old truck doesn't look like fake candy wrapped in chinese high gloss cellophane, he is doing me a favor or something for even asking.

Now, who would put a 'not for sale' sign on his ride...??? :eek:
    Never seen anything like that, but would like a girl to wear a shirt like that.... yeah, that'll be the day

Nevermind, carry on....

9. I got tired of everytime I was outside someone would interrupt whatever I was doing. A couple of months ago I got 8 visitors in one day. After two different people, on Harleys with no exhaust, woke up my napping daughter my wife put a sign on it. Car is 75% there with new paint. Just because it doesn't have tags, doesn't mean it's for sale. I have no garage and I'm not going to put a tarp over nice new paint. If it was for sale it would be sitting in the front yard with a "For Sale" sign on it.

10. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

I still like,
    "Don't ask; YOU couldn't afford it anyway!!"

11. james

james

There was an old bug in my old neighborhood, rusty junker that was probably worth less than a grand..He had people stop all the time. So he wrote on the window- "$10,000". Never had anyone bug him again.

12. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I put" For Sale" on my car and no-one still stops ,HMMMM I wonder why?

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would rather see a not for sale sign than for the guy to act like a smart ass and say you didnt see a for sale sign on it did you?:eek:

Then you have to just turn and leave mumbling and cussing talking to yourself:mad:

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

"Not for sale - but I might trade for your daughter. Picture of daughter req'd."

15. Road Runner

Road Runner

My favorites:
    The guy who is too lazy to walk up to you and instead screams from a distance in a crowd, if it's for sale.
    The guy at the traffic light next to you, asking just as the light goes green.
    The guy who follows you into a store and asks and then continues to want to hang out with you.

Still waiting for, but less likely:
    The cop who pulls you over, just to ask.
    A drive through employee or parking lot attendant asking.

If the latter ever happens, you know you need a new paint job.

16. BBobb

BBobb

i guess i better get the damn tarp off my car

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"The cop who pulls you over, just to ask..."

I had a NYC cop...one of the ones allegedly keeping terrorists out of the Holland Tunnel...note the heap of parts in the back of my car, and pull me over to try to sell me old Chevy parts!! This was actually a relief. I thought they were going to search my trunk, which would have taken the three weeks there was so much unidentifiable crap back there, including an empty anti tank mine at the time.

18. jmn444

jmn444

funny shit, we had a lot of visitors when i had a '67 nova in the driveway for a while.... i like the high price tag idea, simple and effective.

19. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I dont know what it is but it seems no matter what stage of a build a vehichle is in you get is it for sale?
    We had a 68 Mustang getting the front end aligned at the shop and the guy said he had to close the door so people couldnt see it.
    About every hour or so somebody would stop, is the mustang for sale?
    I guess thats just part of it. I know if I roll something in I get a few people asking if IM fixing it up or selling it etc. so I can relate. We all scrounge around for some project. Maybe some people just need to know they have a project its their dream to build it but probably will never take a hub cap off.

20. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

theres a neat looking small boat down the street from my house that has "NOT FOR SALE" painted as big as possible down the whole side of it

21. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

someone just coming up to me and asking if my car is for sale really doesn't bother me. its the guy who comes up and asks about the car and after I tell them that it was a family project that was built with my father and uncle and is now my baby they THEN ask if it's for sale. did they not just hear a word I said.....

also, the redneck trailer trash running around at a cruise night who doesn't know a thing about cars who just wants to know what it's worth. it's still an easy answer, priceless.

22. I hate coming out and finding a note on the windshield asking me to call this number if I want to sell my truck. i always wonder how big the belt buckle was that they rubbed against the fender while stickihng the note under the wiper. If I want to sell it I would have a sign in the window.

I guess 2 owner '58 Chevy big window Apaches must be unusual.

23. squirrel

squirrel

used to be a piece of construction equipment sitting in a field, someone spraypainted in big letters on it "I want to buy this" and a phone number
    '

24. Appleseed

Appleseed

My favorite was a sign on a really cool 56 Olds wagon.

" I'm not for sale, but if some one offered my owner $20,000, I might be..."

25. john56h

john56h

I think most of the people that go around asking about cars without "for-sale" signs are just looking for super bargains. They've all heard the fantasy stories about buying a rare car for beads & trinkets because the old lady or estranged wife (or whatever) had no clue to its real value and just wanted it gone.

Unless the owner offers an incredibly low price, nine out of ten of these people are probably just tire kickers.

I spot lots of old iron...and with my personality, I can envision a great project coming from every one of them....but I seldom ask about them because I know that truthfully I don't have the time, money or space to tackle anymore projects. So, why bother the owner if you are not serious about buying for a realistic price?

26. Corvette64

Corvette64

I don't see the problem. Hell everything I've got is for sale.

27. Choptop

Choptop

Just got done rebuilding a 289 for my Mustang... completely dressed up engine. Loaded the engine into the back of my pretty nice 73 F250 and took it over to the dyno shop... got 3 offers to buy the truck&engine on the way there, 4 offers on the way back... and its only a couple of miles away.

Get asked about the truck all the time. Doesnt bother me, part of having a cool old car.

no one wants my hot rods though :mad::D

28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I get asked if my Nomad's for sale every time I drive it. I just say, "Yeah, $25,000 cash, not a dime less, no trades." So far, no one has taken it!

29. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Everytime I take my little Honda somewhere, I get stalked, followed, waved at, and get every other car's horns blown at me to either wave or unsolicited offers made:
    (HAMB alert: Note the metal flake vinyl seat reupholster job that was done in 1969)

Attached Files:

30. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

last year at a swapmeet, i had my pickup pulling my old lincoln that was for sale. you could clearly tell the lincoln was for sale, yet i had more lookers on the truck than the lincoln, so next year, my "not for sale" sign for the truck will read: "$70,000 FIRM", hopefully they get the point

and if someone is willing to pay that much for it, i'll take the cash and build a few hot rods!