Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Signs of Failing clutch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StarDiero75, Apr 30, 2017.

1. StarDiero75

StarDiero75

Howdy guys, so I think my clutch is getting ready to go. I have no idea how old it is, the previous owner didn't know anything about it either. It's a 65 Ranchero 3spd column shift.
    Issues:
    Funny noise when in neutral. It's sometimes there and it's loudness varies.
    Sometimes going from neutral to first shakes the car.
    Pops out of 2nd occasionally when using it for engine braking.
    The shifter sometimes doesn't want to change from neutral to 1st but I think that may be misalignment of the column shifter stuff.
    Let me know guys what all this sounds like and what needs to be done. I'm ready to do it myself. Thanks everyone.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

pops out of 2nd gear is a worn transmission, not the clutch.

chattering when taking off is the clutch, or possibly motor mounts. But your description sounds a bit different?

funny noise in neutral is probably the transmission...unless it changes when you push the clutch pedal lightly, then it could be the throw out bearing (which usually means it's time to work on the clutch)

3. StarDiero75

StarDiero75

So popping out means possible tranny rebuild time?
    Chattering, kinda like a harsh vibrating. But that'd be it.
    The funny noise does go away when the clutch is depressed.

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

yes.
    check clutch when the box is out
    gearbox bearing noise

5. squirrel

squirrel

popping out of gear is usually caused by wear on the side of the synchro and shift sleeve teeth. Sloppy shift linkage can contribute to problems, along with problems in the detents on the shift arms or rails. Generally it means you need to rebuild the transmission.

The joy of old cars....

54vicky, lothiandon1940 and jeffd1988 like this.
  6. StarDiero75

StarDiero75

Yay, sounds like fun.
    I think I'm probably just gonna replace the clutch b/c I don't think I can afford a tranny rebuild.
    The popping is not common, maybe once-three times a month so I'm not worried. I've started rev matching when downshifting to help the synchros out, I didn't know about rev matching before since I'm new to stick.
    Just for giggles, roughly what do you think a tranny rebuild costs?

7. StarDiero75

StarDiero75

That last line, "The joy of old cars.... Is what my dad tells me all the time. Haha

8. stimpy

stimpy

when the engine speeds up going up a hill is a sure sign of a worn clutch , but if the gearbox pops out of gear while climbing or engine braking its somethign starting to go major like Squirel said , also if its making a rumbling sound , get it fixed now before you have to find a new box or spend major $$$ for a new one , as for rebuild or synchro replacement it varies on where you live and who is doing the work . last trans I had rebuilt cost me $2G's but it was a Autogear super muncie .

9. For future reference: Signs of a failing clutch is when the tacho says 6 grand and the speedo says 5 mph.

...and the other guy passes you with a shit-eating grin o his face.

wbrw32 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

Popping out is ur tranny and the noise I'd say is a bit of both since the noise goes away when u depress the pedal, sounds like a good time to find a 4 speed for it unless u want to keep it factory stock, good luck, by the way very nice ranch-O I love that year, I'd love to make one of them into a ground pounder, jmo, hotrod harry

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app HotRod Harry

camer2 likes this.
  11. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Yay, sounds like fun.
    I think I'm probably just gonna replace the clutch b/c I don't think I can afford a tranny rebuild.

You gotta pull the tranny to replace the clutch.....your half way there.
    A tranny small parts kit is not that expensive and they do not get any easier than a 3 speed

12. squirrel

squirrel

A small parts kit won't fix the popping out of gear, it needs a new 2nd gear and 2-3 synchro assembly to make sure it's fixed.

The normal sign that a clutch is worn out, is that it slips in high gear.

54vicky likes this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It's not going to get any better, only worse. Worn bearings and other parts will wear even more, and eventually cause something to break. Been there, done that.....

54vicky likes this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

A slipping clutch is a sign of clutch wear. I remember an old timer telling how you can check your clutch for slipping. He said pull the car up against a brick wall and slowly let out the clutch if the clutch is ok the engine will stall. If the engine keeps running the clutch is slipping. I never tried this procedure. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Gary

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    54vicky likes this.
  15. BJR

BJR

Also check the shift linkage to make sure that it is going all the way into gear. If it doesn't go all the way into gear it may pop out. Otherwise follow what Squirrel said.

54vicky and squirrel like this.
  16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

If the transmission is bad, then you can enjoy all of the same screwed up symptoms you're experiencing now after you've changed the clutch. If the transmission needs an overhaul, changing the clutch isn't going to fix it. Only fixing the transmission is going to fix the transmission.

54vicky likes this.