Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Signal Stat 900 11 wire turnsignal switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951oldguy, Feb 17, 2016.

1. 1951oldguy

1951oldguy
    from Arkansas

I have a vintage SignalStat 900 turn signal I salvaged from a 1950 log truck. The first couple days after I finished soldering all the connections and sorting our the wiring I inherited with my 1951 almost original 6 volt truck (has an aftermaket wiring harness) signals worked, sorta. Had a fast blink that wasn't improved by grounding, I did have 4 way hazard flashers.

My SignalStat has 11 wires, every online reference I've found mentions 7 wires. The image below shows 10 but an extra white wire is hiding in the bundle.

When I finished wiring up the signals I had 4 unused white wires and a red.

Also, I don't have a blue wire to act as a pilot and the indicator lights don't work on the flasher. The original wiring had a gray wire acting as pilot so that's what I used.

Currently, the right side lights have quit flashing, they do come on front and rear when the signal is put in right flash position.....just no flash. Left side is flashing really fast, but is usable. Again, I've added temporary grounds from the battery to the light fixtures with no change.

Looking forward to any and all comments.

Ron

Turn signal 3.jpg

2. 1951oldguy

1951oldguy
    from Arkansas

3. 1951oldguy

1951oldguy
    from Arkansas

Well, I may have a partial solution. The unconnected front park lights had already been changed out to twin pigtail lights and still have 1157 12v bulbs. When I hooked them up I was surprised at how bright they were, so hadn't bothered to change them out.
    I now think they could be the reason for the "fast blink" I've got. Ordered a couple 1154's from NAPA, we'll see.

4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

OKAY. I can't tell from the picture but some switches in truck applications had the headlight dimmer switch built into the turn signal switch. Does the lever move up and down as well as L &R? That might be the extra wires. Also, some OE's used slightly different color codes. On the 7 wire models there are 3 inputs to the switch: + from the flasher, Pilot from flasher and + from the brake light switch.

5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

It took a while to dig it out but here is a wiring diagram from an older Sig-Stat switch. Hope it helps.
    sig_stat_dia.jpg

bct likes this.
  6. 1951oldguy

1951oldguy
    from Arkansas

Thanks Hotrodmyk for the diagrams! I'm almost ready to declare victory. I decided to tackle the pilot lite (signal indicator) not working issue today. When I took the front off the switch and removed the stalk with the lite bulb the 18ga. gray wire (blue wire in most applications) was broke from the base of the small light fixture.

I disassembled the fixture and found a small brass button at the base of the light crimped to the broken stub of gray wire. Simple matter to open the crimp up with a small sharp awl and crimp it onto a 2" long section of gray wire, then reassemble the lever to the switch and attach the new wire to the old.

Still no work. My slow brain recognized "it's gotta have ground", so out came the file and I knocked off a bit of original (good) paint from the steering column and WoooPheeee, got both a working indicator light for left and right and turn signals on both sides of truck. Still flashing fast but hoping the new 6 volt 1154 bulbs fix that tomorrow.

One last thing, from ebay today I ordered a NOS Tung Sol 6V 535 flasher that was made in the USA. Hopefully it's one of the good old ones that'll have a loud Click-a Click-a Click.

7. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

if I remember correctly 1157 are 12 V dual filament two base contact brake light/turn signal and tail light/ parking light bulbs.

8. Flatblack 31

Flatblack 31

Mr speedy you are correct on the 1157.

Old Guy,
    I had the same issue with the ground on mine so I decided to add a ground wire to the mounting screw and just ran it down through the wire loom with the rest of the bundle. I figured that would be a little better than the possibility of having an intermittent grounding problem (we all know how fun those are) ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455844288.362542.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455844338.181570.jpg

alfin32 and VA HAMB like this.
  9. 1951oldguy

1951oldguy
    from Arkansas

Flatblack 31, your solution is definitively more elegant than mine! I sometimes do finish carpentry with a chainsaw.

10. Flatblack 31

Flatblack 31

Ha! just remember to put the 'fine tooth' chain on the saw!

11. 32owner

32owner

12. 32owner

32owner

I know this is an old post but i have the same signal where did you go with the white wire and the red black wire

13. Hi All,
    I have a Signal Stat 900, I only have 5 wires coming out of the unit. Can you tell me the correct wiring ofr this unit, and why this unit has a jumped wire. I do know that The black wire has constant power, the Green is left side, the red is right side. The top left Grey wire has power when the key is on. The grey wire with black doesnt go anywhere, it jumps from one side to the other. Thank you for your help.
    [​IMG]

14. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Your picture shows 7 wires which is correct for the 900. Are you sure some are not just cut short?

See post 5 above, first diagram.

15. Hi, the Grey/Black wire is jumped, it doesnt go anywhere. it just connects the two sides. I spoke to people over at Signal Stat they said this is a special unit. Not available anymore. Thanks for your help though.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  16. Glenn Ninow

Glenn Ninow

PERFECT!!! - Just what I was looking for!

Hotrodmyk likes this.