Register now to get rid of these ads!

Signal Stat 700 Wiring adapting into brake lights...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldguard, Feb 2, 2010.

1. I have a Signal Stat 700 turn signal switch that runs seperate rear bulbs from the normal stoplight and am trying to adapt this "European" 4 wire style wiring into the more common "USA" 3 wire style, I have searched here and google with no luck. I bought a common trailer turn signal wiring "black box" thinking it would work but no dice, I assume it must be used with bulbs in the car to work? I checked Ron Francis and Painless to no help, although Ron Francis did show a adaptor of sorts that may be used? Will call them tomorow and inquire. Any suggestions??

2. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Just guessing but maybe the circuit needs the bulb filiments to complete the timing for the signals.
    Just my .02 cents, which means it probably don't mean much.

3. RichG

RichG

I think Djust is right, without a load there's no amperage in the system for the electronics in the adapter box to read...hook up a setup on your bench with lights and see what happens...

4. oj

oj

I've wired them and they wire the turn & brake thru the same elements. I've looked thru my notes but don't see schematic, try doing a search on here. I recall this has come up before and somebody posted a schematic. I spoke to the mfgr and they sent me the original pencil-drawn schematic with notes on the margins but i cannot find it, the tricky part is in the switch as it has lamps too. If you can't locate it (these threads can disappear) give me a pm and i'll go looking - i have one of those switches here with original wires so we can figure it out. Later oj

5. Thanks for all the help on this, drove it today to Parrots Rod Shoppe open house and in the cold weather and the window down in busy downtown OKC, I really want to signal with lights as I'm not sure how many folks know hand signals in this day and age!

6. A picture of the Signal Stat 700
    [​IMG]

7. Howdy folks, I called my electrical savy cousin Charles who gave me these schematics for a do it yourself kit. The second one is a series of relays for each light and the simplest to do although the signal will be out of "phase" when the brake light is applied, as in the front and rear will alternate ( only when the brake light is applied) , the first one is in phase.
    This one requires a "timer" capacitor to work but again is in time:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    We did find several aftermaket units to do this job and they are about $55.00 and will work but if you are curious and like to build your own stuff or know how they work here are the answers! Ron Francis offers one and other are out there, I will try to post links later to these. Hope this info helps some else.

8. Howdy, reporting back on the turn signal adapter, never got a call back from Ron Francis wiring, left 4 messages over 3 weeks on the "tech line", but I did get a hold of Signaldynamics, a place in Florida that makes brake and turn signal adapters for the motorcycle market, called them and friendly with information, ended up buying thier Tri-star module, works great, easy to wire, and successfuly adapted the Signal Stat 700 turn signal switch in to the wiring. http://signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/tristar.asp
    So now I have signals and hope to keep the idiots on the open road aware and away!

9. slobroy

slobroy

Thanks for the info. I'm getting close to wiring mine.

10. ronfrancis

ronfrancis

Hi, I'm Ron Francis. If you call our tech line and have to leave a number, you get a call back from someone in about a 1/2 to 1 hour tops. We know guys don't hang by the phone. Sorry if we messed up on you. Screwing up 3 or 4 times is tough. Our SS-6 convertor makes a 6 wire turn signal switch out of a 3 wire model so it can canel the brake lights. I assume that is what you are trying to do. It can be ordered online, no calls, at www.ronfrancis.com and search ss-6 We have been selling them for 15to 20 years at least. They have very few parts and are very reliable. Of course a 7 wire clamp on switch is not too much more. Watch what your state laws are. Many now require a self cancelling switch. Our electonic timer model is pretty cool too. Part # ss-25. If I can answer any qesutions, let me know
    Ron

11. Hello Ron, I was looking for some info on the past post link, and just now saw that you had personaly responded, and wanted you to know that in the late 80's I had worked at Parr Automotive in OKC and became familiar with your products and was very happy selling them as they are a quality product and always confident selling them. I understand the busy world we live in and thank you for the personal response. I know also it has become a competive world in all markets and yours is no exception, and have helped several friends with installations of yours and others kits and still feel yours is the highest quality on the market. I should have left a email as opposed to a voice message but I am a analog guy living in a digital world! Thanks again, Tim.