Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Sighting your first Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, May 22, 2015.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Sighting your first Hot Rod

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

The 554 coupe rules!

My first, somewhat vague memory of a 'hot rod' (I'll use that term loosely with this car) was riding in my dad's red '64 Mercury Comet Cyclone. It had a hopped up 289 and a 4-speed. I was five years old and rode with him the last time it was ever driven, in 1984. We took it out to my grandparent's farm to park it, as it was getting tired, showing it's age, and some rust. It was his first car and he'd driven it for 10+ years. To this day, it is still parked on the farm, but unfortunately rusted beyond repair. A tree fell on it about five years ago, too.

On that trip out to the farm, there are about five miles of curvy, hilly gravel road to get there. He loved flying down that road and sliding around corners, just like he had when he was younger and the police were chasing him. Well, we did a little of that on it's last drive and I remember how pissed my mom was when we got to grandpa and grandma's house. She was following us and couldn't keep up... mostly mad because he was driving like that with me in the car. Haha!!

Malcolm

Model T1 likes this.
  3. flamingokid

flamingokid

My Dads ad agency transferred us from Omaha to Davenport,Iowa in the late 60s.Driving with my folks on Kimberly road,an either primmered or very dark gray 32 five window coupe with Hallibrands and running open headers.The driver was wearing wayfarers and cigarettes rolled up in his t-shirt sleeve.45+ years later,I still remember it like it was yesterday.

56shoebox likes this.
  4. Loved that car. Novi Road ? Even better.

Mine was a 'black lacquer, 60's webbed paint, chrome firewall '40 Ford coupe. Hot Rod magazine car out of Beckley WV/Crab Orchard/Garden View area. My uncle installed its Cad' engine. All I really recall in my enjoyment ... was the flip down little seats in the back of it. I knew there was room for me ! That ranked higher in my little kid mind, then anything that car had.

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not my first "on the move" sighting ; but the one forever burnt into my young brain. I was walking the 3 blocks to elementary school in our small town... 10 years old, 1967;...the sound of a hot 283 punched to 301 ,a hard backing off 2nd gear t-10 downshift; it was THE coupe in my avatar...wrecked me for life! Still gettin' the same feeling...like replaying a favorite record over and over!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  6. oldcargary

oldcargary
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from devore, Ca

First up close sighting was a 29 Model A roadster owned by my brothers friend. He had (with a bunch of help) put an Olds V8 in. Will never forget how it sounded when he took off.

7. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

This is the first one I remember, dad's '33 Dodge. At age 4 I climbed up in it and turned the key and backed it into a fence. Several years later a friend of ours found it resting in a nearby garage. Still had the dent from my first driving experience! wagner house, Dad\'s cars 020.JPG

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

My earliest memory is going to
    My dads freinds house and him opening the garage to a chopped 3 window 34 chevy with a 327 and low enough to push a knocked over diet coke can.

The garage littered in old oil cans, trophies and bonneville posters I was hooked.

First in motion that I can actually remember was the same car. Tearing down the highway our dads in front blasting the beach boys on the tape deck and us in the tumble seat!

Growing up in a town of 5,000 in the middle of no where I actualy saw a lot of old cars. I'd say there was at least one on every block In town if you counted drag cars as well.

Not a lot to do out there but go fast and be rowdy ;)

9. Honestly? I'm 38 and I never saw a hotrod. Never saw a custom. Only stocks.
    Why am I into this? Cant tell. But I know I'm supposed to.
    My daughter will be able to answer in a few years thou.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  10. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

I can't specifically remember seeing my first hot rod, but I know I loved them before I knew what they were called. Then the ZZ Top "Eliminator" album must have released, because now I knew: they were all "ZZTops".
    "Look, Dad, a ZZTop!"
    At the local car shows I attended as a kid, I mostly had eyes for anything '30s. I destroyed all my model kits trying to make them look like the cars I saw in the magazines.
    It became a lifelong obsession, one that backed off when I got tired of all the bellybutton hi-tech rods and resumed a few years later when I discovered the rich history behind it all.
    My life does not currently have a hot rod in it. But the bug was planted early, and I will always love the zeezeetops.

11. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

there were some local cars when I was in high school, but not many and they were the usual 50s shoeboxes with lowering blocks and skirts or early 50s Chevys, always nosed and decked. But what stands out in my memory was taking a trip to CT Dragway, maybe 1958?. A buddy and I went over to see the dragstrip for the first time. Bear in mind CT was always a good place for hot rods, lots of industry and good wages compared to my little dairy farm town in upstate NY. I had cousins who lived in Bridgeport area, Sikorsky Helicopter, Remington Arms, Singer, and so forth. Anyway we made it to Colchester, CT where the drag strip was supposed to be located but our directions petered out at a tee in the road. Sitting there, ready to flip a coin as to right or left, here came a vision! A real candy blue '27 roadster, chrome roll bar, chromed V8 engine, mag wheels. My God, just like in all those little books piled in my bedroom, a real honest to God California style hot rod! Hey we just followed him, drooling looking at this roadster, and of course he led us right to the drag strip entrance.

12. chriseakin

chriseakin

I think the first hot rod I saw was when I was in junior high (Maybe 197071?) - a bright yellow pickup truck - can't remember if it was a Model A or a '32 Ford but it was low, had a shorty pickup box and no hood covering the v-8 which had spaghetti headers (not sure if that's the right name but the pipes looked like somebody had twisted them around each other - like spaghetti). I had seen photos of hotrods before, so I knew what it was, but that was the first one I saw in real life, on the road.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  13. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

FIRST SIGHTING OF A 1940 FORD SEDAN DELIVERY WAS JAY ROEBUCKS SHOP TRUCK WITH CADILLAC and 2X4s. THE 4 AMIGOS 2015 021.JPG ELDORADO 2X4s

jnaki, strangepanel and Muttley like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My folks took me to So. Cal. (by train) 1963ish, I was about 9 yrs old and my only exposure to the hot rod world was toy cars and models, I think I had been doing model cars only about a year at that point.
    My first hot rod sighting was while visiting relatives in LaMesa (San Diego) and I'm pretty sure my reaction was as if I had seen a flying saucer.
    If you did the math from above; you'll understand why the details of said car are a bit fuzzy.
    I did not know at the time what it was exactly or what year either, but I have revisited that scene in my mind many times over, and by that I know for a fact that it was a Roadster P.U.
    It could have been any number of model year car, but I want to say it was a 28/29 Ford.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  15. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Early 1970's on the 101 near Ventura, Ca. In a station wagon with Mom and Dad. The kind with seats that face the back. What's this? Eight or nine Hells Angels wizz by on bad ass chops. Chrome, colorful metalflake sparkle paint and lots of attitude. Fried in my mind to this day. Never been the same since. Help!!

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    jakespeed63 and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  16. Kinky6

Kinky6

I'm from rural Missouri, but grew up in Raleigh, N.C. I was in school there in the 1st to 12th grade roughly from 1961-'73. I honestly can't remember seeing any hot rods or customs there during that entire period. Plenty of '50's & '60's cars all along, and from the '40's when I was younger. Not that I wasn't looking, either. I was the kind of car crazy kid that noticed anything out of the ordinary, like an Isetta, or a Triumph two door sedan (hey, I thought they only made sports cars!?).

I used to spend hours checking out the model car selection at the local hobby shop, then going down in the basement at home to put together these 1/25 scale portals to a world that didn't have any connection to what was in the streets and driveways of my neighborhood. By the late '60's, I saw a lot of new muscle cars, and when I was in high school, warmed over '55 - '65 Chevies were all over the place. I can tell you that American Graffiti made a real impression when it came out! K6

17. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't remember not being around hot rods. I remember dad's first project after I was around, but there were other friends of his that had cars before then. Bud's T touring, Dave's 37 delivery, Jim's A delivery.

18. 1949*john

1949*john

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  19. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

My earliest memories both involve my Dad's '62 Vette (red with white lace painted coves and 5 spoke Americans) circa 1972. I'd have been about 3 years old. One was driving down a hill with my brother and I both sitting in the passenger seat with our Dad trying to teach us how to whistle at pretty girls. That would be the first "hot rod in motion". The other memory is sitting in it watching trains drive by (little boys love noisy trains).

20. 1957 and I was in 3rd grade. We'd bought a house in a housing development in suburban Portland, Oregon and there were a pair of brothers living in an old farm house down the street. I'd hear them racing each other in two old black primered ford coupes, screaming down the street in front of our house.
    That was it! I was hooked..............ruined for life!

21. I was about 5 years old so it would have been around 1965. I went with my folks to the nearby town of San Marcos, CA. to look at a 1948 Allis Chalmers Model C farm tractor for sale. While we were standing in this field next to San Marcos blvd, a coupe of some kind came down the road at full throttle. I remember the roar of the pipes and the chrome wheels and that big old shining motor sticking out of where the hood should have been. It left one hell of an impression on me. I still think about it whenever I drive by that spot. Of course it's all shopping centers now, but it was a country road lined with eucalyptus trees in those days.

It probably wasn't the first one I saw, but it's the one that stuck in my mind. Oh yeah, dad bought the tractor. It had a cracked block but he found another block, rebuilt the motor and we used it for years on our property.

22. 1963 or 64. A pale purple 28/29 model A roadster on deuce rails. '58 Chev wagon taillights, side dump headers, and an absolutely WICKED channel at the cowl that gave it the best looking rake. It looked almost bent at the firewall. Piecrust slicks on torque thrust "D" in the back, 12 spokes up front without brakes. Chromed EVERYTHING! Burned into my 7 year old brain? Oh, HELL yeah!

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I didn't have "a sighting" because I was living among them nasty machines. Growing up in SoCal in the 60s, there was "jacked up in the rear" hot rods and a few "50s' Hot Rods such as my brother-in-law's 29 roadster, everywhere. The sound of those high compression, hi-po cammed engines exiting thru glasspacks was everywhere. The guy driving his machine with his girl sitting right next to him. That was life, not some strange phenomenon.

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  24. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

The 1st hot rod I remember was in Concord NC near Fryling Ave. Was a 5/window coupe and probably a drag car. It was a fenderless rod with a tow bar if I remember correctly. It was around 1956 and I never forgot it and I am 70 yo now. These hot rods leave lasting impressions................

J.Ukrop likes this.
  25. EarlyFordV8

EarlyFordV8
    from Dallas

Saw my first hot rod on the cover of a model car box at a toy store back in 1964 (6 years old), then at the slot car tracks in Dallas in the 60's, then at the NSRA nationals in Memphis 1968 (real ones)...then I was whooped...loved them ever since...dang it.

26. woodypecker

woodypecker

I was 10 in 1955. A 38 Chevy 2dr brush painted red with a corvette 6 with split exhaust passed our house almost everyday with me on the porch waiting just to hear it. I have never heard anything so pleasing.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  27. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

I was 4 in 1956 and remember going to the garage to watch my dad and his best friend Lee Hamock work on this 34 race car(the call it the jalopy). Then his other friends and buddies would come over and they would start it to set the timing and tune it. Also going down town to Bob Joehncks shop and seeing all the different hot rods and race cars being worked on.
    It took me to the dark side forever.

jalopy 1956-b (640x461) (2).jpg

28. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I guess the first one would be a neighbor's son came home from the service in the early 50s with a flathead powered belly tank hot rod.

29. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

I was 10 or 11, a roadster, possibly a deuce. A life altering/ defining moment?
    Such a rarity in late 70's suburban melbourne (australia).
    I still remember the way it moved, it didn't so much as accelerate but lurch forward, I had no idea cars could travel at that speed. And here I am 35 years later still playing with old cars, all down to that one chance sighting.

30. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Lived around the corner from this:
    [​IMG]Not really a hot rod, but it was radical, v8 powered and metalflaked. I was 14 and living in Northern England, hot rods were almost unheard of, and this blew my mind.