Register now to get rid of these ads!

sideways brake booster/pedal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, Oct 1, 2012.

1. somebody must make a pedal/booster assembly that will mount your booster and master cylinder at right angle to the brake pedal?
    i'm sure i've seen it somewhere, anyone?:)

2. Kugel Komponents, 562-691-7006, 451 Park Industrial Dr. La Habra, Ca.

3. peddlr

peddlr

Not sure what years, But a full size dodge van had a setup like that. I want to think late 70s thru late 80s

4. ahhh, kugel thats it thanks:)

i think the guy up the road from me has an old dodge van, i'll go look at it before i order anything

5. ........Good idea 'cause the Kugel stuff is top notch, but it ain't cheap.:eek:

6. 1975 Ford E-150 Van also had it.

7. aaggie

aaggie

There are a few brake specialty companies that advertise in the Good Guys Gazette that sell the right angle setup to keep it all under dash. I thought about it for a '40 Chevy project but I would need some type of remote reservoir for filling the master cylinder.

8. Yep, that's it!

Find any old Dodge Class C motorhome of van and you'll have one.

9. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

I think speedway sells one.

10. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Most of your COE trucks have them as well as alot of Vans. Look out for the hydro assist versions, they dont require the large booster.
    Either may work for you.

Godspeed
    MrC.

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

used kugel komponents set up with remote resivor and 8inch double booster.i had to reinforce firewall to mount it.clearance can get tightbehind the instruments.i may yet space thee booster to the passenger side a few inches and extend the pushrod.the face of the dash on my 38 chev truck bolts off giving good access to behind the dash.iam planning on bolting on the reinforcment to the firewall with domed allen bolts on the engine side filling the allen heads to make them like rivet heads before painting the firewall to keep it old skule.good luck nunattax

12. Huh!?!?

I was always under the impression that "tradition" almost always involved using what you could scrounge up. Like going to a junkyard, finding what you need and make it work!

I didn't realize that all this while I was wrong!

You should just open up your check book or pull out your credit card and POOF! Instant Hot Rod! :rolleyes:

13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  14. Weasel

Weasel

Yep - I have one from an '82 Econoline van laying around - somewhere....;)

15. Yeah well our government is trying their damnest to do the same over here. :mad:

Fortunately we still have some hope as well as junkyards!

16. You can always make your own, I did!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Quote; "You can always make your own, I did!
    Elpolacko, Nice Work! You most likely have more tools than just a drill press, hack saw and hammer like most of these guys. Well done.
    The Wizzard

18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

be vigilant,governments dont make any moneyfrom you and i keeping the old stuffgoing selling new cars generates plenty and convincing you to buy new regular makes plenty.all our laws are coming from germany./holland/denmark direction,/france.the less well of states and sweeden/uk aremore understanding.ltaly has a long tradition of building cars/motorcycles KNOW YOUR ENEMY

19. It might not turn out as nicely finished, but I have done plenty with the tools you mentioned.

20. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

How come every time Elpolacko posts a picture of his work I want to sell my tools and take up golf? I'm going to call it "fabrication envy"

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. I've noted that you have the pedal located ahead of the bell-crank ( closer to the driver) while the aftermarket assemblies have the pedal behind the bell-crank (closer to the firewall). Was this done to get a more comfortable pedal location.

Looking to do this on a friends wife's '54 Bel Air and was wondering about
    the pedal positioning as she is on the shorter side.

22. ponchofrailey

ponchofrailey

just use the electric brakes from a Prius that will stop you. oh wait it wont.

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm running a similar CPP setup in my 46 Olds. I wanted pendulum pedals and not through the floor this time around. Plus I can hide the booster and MC behind my new wood grained dash. Another creature comfort, AC, is hidden up under with the brakes. I didn't want a booster and MC on the firewall side either, Healthy compromise for safety. Kugel is very similar.

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My Son used a Kugel setup in his rpu . It worked out really well.

[​IMG]

I liked his so much I got one for my rpu project too. We don't have boosters, with a light hot rod you really don't need them IMO.

[​IMG]

Don

25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

26. Andy

Andy

I made a cross mounted brake cylinder for my 32. I wanted to keep the battery where Henry put it but it was in the way of the cylinder. The bracket mounts using existing holes. Some are from the mechanical brake cross shaft and a couple are from the pedal mount.
    Richard Lacy has a better design but this was done long ago. I had the heim ends so it cost me nothing.

Attached Files: