Register now to get rid of these ads!

sidevalve pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket88NZ, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Happy New Year, was just pulling motor and box from the Crown Jewel an old New Zealand hot rod, the Allard equipped flatty has been in this car since 59. Sidney Allard was from the UK and produced sports cars with American engines and made his own manifolds and heads.His cars were also fitted with Cadillac and Ardun overhead conversions which he advertised as available for immediate delivery at 160 pounds in 1951. He was the sole manufacturer and concessionnaire of Ardun equipment. Zora had earlier worked for Allard and used him to produce his overhead valve design products.
    The other engine is fitted with Hogan heads and manifold, these were produced in New Zealand by Ron Hogan who produced speed equipment for several different engines including the V12 Lincoln engines.Ron also built midgets and is a real Kiwi legend,he still has 40 Lincoln Coupe with his gear fitted to it.Cheers from down under.

Attached Files:

• cj1.jpg
      cj1.jpg
      File size:
      115 KB
      Views:
    • cj2.jpg
      cj2.jpg
      File size:
      115.6 KB
      Views:
    • cj3.jpg
      cj3.jpg
      File size:
      102.5 KB
      Views:
    • hog.jpg
      hog.jpg
      File size:
      116.1 KB
      Views:
    • hog1.jpg
      hog1.jpg
      File size:
      110.6 KB
      Views:
    • hog2.jpg
      hog2.jpg
      File size:
      113.6 KB
      Views:
    • cj.jpg
      cj.jpg
      File size:
      113 KB
      Views:
    • hog3.jpg
      hog3.jpg
      File size:
      112.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Good to see you on here, Rocket88NZ. Be good to see you on our local forum too, if you feel so inclined. www.nz-hotrod.com

3. Stone

Stone

4. noboD

noboD

Thanks for the pics. I think those cowl lights on the red car are just like my porch lights.

5. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

Interesting
    I am just fitting a pair of Allard Heads and intake on my 21 stud motor here in the UK.
    The intake is slightly different to yours and doesn't have the Allard Logo but the numbers match those on the head so I am sure it is Allard.
    Rich

6. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Sounds like the manifold would be a match for the heads if no.s are same, my manifold has 91J6519 on it. Being 21 stud maybe he wasn't set up with his name on the casting at that stage. Do the heads have the name on them?
    I have had a few guys that want the heads and manifold here that are restoring Allard Sports cars, won't happen as long as I own the car though.
    What are you putting the engine in?

7. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Hey noboD, have you been out to check your porch lights lately? us Kiwi's have contacts all over the place you know.

8. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Rocket 88..Got a bit teary eyed when I saw le Sabre again,Bill was a workmate of both my grandfather and my father and I spent many hours yakking with him about cars in the 60's.
    I always wanted to buy her but he passed away without me knowing and I lost track of her.

Regarding Allards,My brother had Buick 322 with Moss box from an Allard which he bought from Nick Liefting at greenlane around 1974,dunno what ever happened to the car though.
    i had an unusual Hogan Triple set up on my 59A ,more like an improved Edelbrock design rather than his two peice set ups ,I think it was the only one he ever made.
    If ever le Sabre comes on the market,Msg me.

9. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Took these pics in 06 at the Papakura swap meet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some more lil' beautys snapped on the same day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. noboD

noboD

What's with the door windows on the coupe?? Are they home made or an accesory. It looks like there's a vent window? I always like looking at European and Aussie/N.Z. cars,. They are just like US cars, but differant.

11. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

It's a Plymouth Coupe with a USA body,Only Australia had the locally made bodies.
    Bill once told me he had installed a fairly wild cam ,only to swap it out again later because the car was way to fast for him .He was no spring chicken when he built this car ,already heading into middle age.
    ...sniff...:eek:[​IMG]

12. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

[Wow bet you wish you still had that Hogan manifold .I keep in touch with Bill's grand daughter who lives in Texas, I think all Bill's sons finished up over there. They want to buy the car back, but I would hate to see it leave NZ. The guy that bought it from the estate paid $600 for it believe it or not and was only going to use the body for a restored car, luckily he was talked out of it. I sent quite a few of the 70's hot rod mags featuring the car over to her to give to her dad. You might have to move to New Zealand if you ever want to own her.I just played 9 holes of golf with Ralph Wright and had a couple of beers of course ( it's his 64th birthday today) He was partners with Nick in the Greenlane speed shop.Thanks for the reply and keep in touch. Mike.quote=Mercmad;2471777]Rocket 88..Got a bit teary eyed when I saw le Sabre again,Bill was a workmate of both my grandfather and my father and I spent many hours yakking with him about cars in the 60's.
    I always wanted to buy her but he passed away without me knowing and I lost track of her.

Regarding Allards,My brother had Buick 322 with Moss box from an Allard which he bought from Nick Liefting at greenlane around 1974,dunno what ever happened to the car though.
    i had an unusual Hogan Triple set up on my 59A ,more like an improved Edelbrock design rather than his two peice set ups ,I think it was the only one he ever made.
    If ever le Sabre comes on the market,Msg me.[/quote]

13. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

It's a Plymouth thing I think, there is a small lever on the window which you flick over to either only open the window glass not the 1/4 vent or if the lever is in the other position the whole deal winds down. The guy that built the car originally bid every thing himself but the chrome, channelled, shortened the chassis,paint, upholstery,pin stripe etc, a real talented guy who was a gaurdsman for the railways, thats how he spotted the body being used as a pig pen beside the railtracks.

14. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Wow nice photo's.Better than any I have,Haydens Coupe looks great doesn't it.