Register now to get rid of these ads!

Side pipe tech?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robwizard, Feb 3, 2013.

1. robwizard

robwizard

I'm wanting to put a side pipe on my car, like the lead sled type but with a single exit rather than multiple ones.. I have searched to no avail and was wondering if anyone had links to any tech articles? The main thing I am wondering is regarding the silencer.. I have read about people using "glass packs" but I am ignorant of such things..

Any information would be great :)

Cheers

2. Well, with functional lakes pipes, you could put a muffler before the pipe. However, the fun of functional lakes pipes is that they are loud. If you used straight (not 90 degree or 45 degree bent) outlets, you could use a motorcycle style baffle in one

3. robwizard

robwizard

Yeah it's a 4cyl engine with the outlets on the driver side so I was just gonna make a 4-2-1 coming down the inside of the bow and out just behind the arch, then have the pipe run along the sill. I want it to be quite slim.. perhaps a bike baffle could work. I wonder if I could fit a silencer in between the 4 branch and where the pipe comes out from the sill..

Cheers

4. 29tudor

29tudor

Depending what engine they're going on, I'd try running em wide open. I got a box of bends and reducers from jegs for $70 and hooked em up to my stock 52 flathead with Fenton manifolds and they sound great! Pretty sure the low compression ratio helps make them not too obnoxious but I think they sound perfect. Search "firing up the ford" for a video/thread of it, or follow this link to YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7qOMcGFuTQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. gashog

gashog

I'm running out the back Smitties and true side pipes. It's a nice setup for a warmed over flathead.

Attached Files: