Register now to get rid of these ads!

shutoff valve for heater core?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petebert, Apr 11, 2011.

1. petebert

petebert

I want to put a simple valve on the heater hose line to shut it off. My Lincoln has a under seat heater and it gets too damn hot in there. Would like a simple on/off valve just so I can flush the core every once in a while. Anything in particular I need to do or can I just get something that fits from the plumbing section?

Eventually I'll restore the heating to work with the dash controls but that's pretty low on my priority list. For now I just want to cruise around in the summer without all the heat blowing in.

2. I have used a hot ball valve before with good success. You should be able to find something in the pluming section and a couple of hose barbs.

3. I bought a NOS one for a Mopar. It is really cool. It works off of a cable. It threads into the water pump the you hook the hose up. I haven't used it yet and not sure if I will but it looks correct. If you use a plumbing valve try a brass ball valve.

Good luck.

BloodyKnuckles

4. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

I just bought one of these last night off of that auction site It's a 5/8" inline cable operated valve Ford part no. C3UZ18495A I have a manual valve now that I picked up at a plumbing supply, but it is slightly smaller than the 5/8' Hose size. I just squeezed the clamps a bit tighter and it has served me well for 5 years now, but it will be nice to operate from the cab with this new one. <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've just got a simple ball valve designed for wet systems from the hardware store for $7. You can see it near the front of the valve cover with the red handle. Just wanted to shut it off in the summer.
    [​IMG]

6. petebert

petebert

Then I'll just stick with a ball valve for now. The original system was cable driven, uses some pulley system under the dash that's all jammed up. Then it lead to a valve in the engine compartment which I don't have but they come up for auction every so often, never cheap.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I don't remember where I got this one but it was cheap. I think it is still available new. This is what we used way back when...It serves two purposes.

8. fleetside66

fleetside66

I just use one from Home Depot's plumbing section...it's time to turn it off...Hooray!

9. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

If you want something prettier look at some old english car catalogs. A lot of MG's and Jaguars used cool SAE threaded cable operated shut offs.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i have a ball valve that i got out of the copper valve isle in Home Depot

a ball valve made for liquids is more of a positive shut off , than a gate valve.

11. Magnus_Jager

Magnus_Jager

72 coronet one is cable driven. I have it on my 54 dodge's inner fender, and hooked to my dash unit, but it is backwards. (hot setting is cold)

http://www.oehq.com/acdelco-parts_1...Controller-Valve~1972-DODGE-CORONET-7.2L.htm#

But it seems to be discontinued from delco. Not sure if available at napa or other places.

You can kind of see it in the lower part of the pic here

http://www.hotrodders.com/journal_photos/00013590/12031087231.jpg

And on the left in the pic here, it could be put out the way. I placed it where it went on the 72 i used to own.

I used the one for cars with AC

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Ford one that Judd55 posted in post 4 is available at local parts houses just about anywhere once a guy knows what to look for. Add a choke cable and you are in business. Or hop out an turn it on and off manually. I had one like Tommy posted on some rig I had at one time and it worked good but you still have to turn it on and off under the hood.

A lot of the Mopar units are for 1/2 inch hose on one end or the other and don't work well on anything except Mopars. I found that out after dragging one home from the wrecking yard.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Back in the day, my '53 Ford had a vacuum actuated valve that worked great till it spewed coolant everywhere after the diaphram ruptured, usually in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. I replaced mine with a valve similar to the one in post #8.
    Dave

14. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

My 64 Chevy truck had one, I'm not sure if it was factory or not. It wasn't a ball valve, it had a small T handle that had to be turned a few times to turn it off.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Factory style shutoff valves are available at most auto parts suppliers, O'Reilly's, NAPA, CarQuest, etc. Cable, manual spigot, and vacuum operation as well as in hose or screw-in block to hose mounting.

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Know a fellow with shut off valve in his engine bay, works a treat. Know another with valve under his dash. Now wishes he put it in engine bay.

17. petebert

petebert

Someone told me about this guy who rebuilds them, looks promising. http://www.heatercontrolvalve.com/

I actually have the original mounted on the firewall still. Looks like it leaked for a previous owner so he just bypassed it.

18. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Why is that?

19. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Hard to get to and leaked would be my guess.

20. Diavolo

Diavolo

21. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I have one of these tucked up under the dash that's easily accessible to turn the heater on/off. I put a knob on the pin...........it works great and it has never leaked.

Maybe Stumpy was referring to a vacuum/diaphragm design that leaked.

Attached Files:

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

23. try a PEX ball valve it already has the nipple ports attached to it....