Register now to get rid of these ads!

shuffletown dragstrip North Carolina ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Apr 2, 2008.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

I was reading today's Charlotte Observer and found out Tom Ferrell has passed away. Tom bought Shuffletown Dragway from the original builder about 50 years ago and owned it until the town of Charlotte closed it. He also owned Greer Dragway up until 2015. I raced motorcycles at both tracks for over 20 years. Tom was 80 years old. R.I.P. my friend.

racer-x likes this.
  2. Shuffletown !

Sure brings back some memories. I raced 64 327 Chevelle in 1969. Won 3 trophies. The hot cars ran for ca$h, street cars ran for trophies.

Some drivers’ names I’ll never forget,

Van Hatley, 55 Chevy
    Rudy Sherril, 55 Chevy
    Shep Langdon, 65 Chevy
    Jean Howard, 69 Z 28

A regular A/G, Moonlighter is now The Godfather of South East Gassers.

As someone posted, always had a colorful announcer. He once said “Watch the little Chevelle (me) put one on the big bad GTO”

And I did !

3. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Growing up in Kannapolis NC I went to shuffletown many times as a spectator and enjoyed each visit. You guys really sent me back in time...………….John Fink, Landis NC

4. Just before reaching Shuffletown from Charlotte, there was a Sunoco gas station. Ya think they sold some 260 Custom Blend on Sunday mornings ?

5. Some earlier posts mention “Tommy Mauney”. I went to school in Charlotte with Terry Mauney. His dad had a light green ‘57 Chevy with mud grips. When I asked why the mudgrips, Terry replied “for Shuffletown”

Was Terry Tommy’s son ?

6. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

It’s the same story about people buying houses next to or in the flight path of airports and then complaining about noise from airplanes.