Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest SHRUNKEN HEAD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steffen Jobst, Dec 27, 2016.

1. That calls for a tech article

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 1time

1time
    from minnesota

Old hot rod I got from the guy who had it back in the day, One on the mirror one on the cowl behind the rear carb Genuine Henry 002.JPG Genuine Henry 008.JPG

Attached Files:

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

Reminded me of a bad childhood memory. My grandparents had a hand carved coconut head with wearing a santa hat hanging in a corner of their basement. Spooked the shit out of me from 4-8 years old. Looked kinda like this...

upload_2016-12-27_11-58-43.png

4. Steffen, a do -dad is kinda like a do hicky.LOL.Bruce.

mad mikey, Steffen Jobst and Stogy like this.
  5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The heck with the shrunken heads, I want one of those vacuum chrome plated distributor caps! Wonder how that worked out....

Steffen Jobst likes this.
  6. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

My uncle had a shrunken head in his car when I was about 6-7 years old....creeped me & my sister out big time, and I remember both of us wailing with screams & tears, when we had to ride in his car one time AT NIGHT (he had a 63' Plymouth Valient)...the thing was staring at me in particular, and swinging in my direction (never dawned on me it swung the 'other' way too!!!), while my uncle laughed like an Abbott & Costello mega-fan just short of a full dance-card, always fidgeting & adjusting his radio, and talking to the head like he knew it at the same time!...He kept telling us it was a friend of his from his childhood...I still think he was rattled in the head to be honest!!! ....Man, that was one creepy memory for me!....NO shrunken 'anything' in my cars.......EVER!!!

7. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Ok. I learned much.
    A "do-dads" is like a mirror muff (this is as far as I understand with my bad english, when a girl in a skirt sits on the backseat without panties and you look in the rear mirror) and Bob Falfa has had one but it was vacuum chrome plated and a friend of Raimans uncle. Stogy has seen him in a museum, but this was Mo-Junk after 30.000 miles with his hot rod. Binger even has one made from his dad in the 60’s (what I think is really scary) but Jnakis mom, who worked with Devin at the Disneyland jungle boat gift shop, threw it away because Roddin-Shack said it does not fit into rare hot rod parts category.
    It’s more complicated as I expected, but it’s inflations fault as RR remarked: from $1 back in the 60's to $18.95!

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Like a used up Hooker:p:D Check out the mirror muff thread on here.

9. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Yes, exactly!

Texas57 and Steffen Jobst like this.
  10. ........Exactly! See- your English is perfect!

lothiandon1940 and Steffen Jobst like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Raiman...Get a GRIP!
    ...although...I was scared sh'tless on the front porch of my aunt Lula's. Around the corner (her porch went around her house 240*...Front and both sides!
    Anyway, just around the right side, there was this Hawaiian Kahuna chair (all wicker, with a HUGE circular back to it) I must have seen an old black and white spook film with the Dragon Lady or some such villain in it.
    Anyway, I ran whooping and yelling, that chair was 'out ta get me'!

There were things we had, and said, and did: My black shrunken head hung in my '36 Three window (car was chopped 5.25", so the head hung down by the dash...) my '32 Five window Highboy, my '48 Cad Series 62, my '36 Five window, finally my white '56 Ford ragtop.
    (First wife tore it out of there, said it reminded her of her Mom...her Mom was NOT black)
    The folks that cling to the PC rules will be tied to high performance axles, and dragged thru the fifties. That will occur "in a perfect world", so don't wait to see it here.

12. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I knew Binger's dad, and I think the idea that Dan Binger once made a shrunken head is both scary and REALLY out of character! :eek:

Steffen Jobst likes this.
  13. I have one(ok I have three I bought) in my 60 Sedan Delivery... pretty creepy... made from animal skin, and fur is shaved... and the face looks real (well to a point) , Bought it off E***... Think they are made in Honduras or Central America.. View attachment 3411483 ... the one I have now is way better... lips sewn shut... they get plenty of "yuck " "eww" "gross"... love it !

mad mikey and Steffen Jobst like this.
  14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Had this one forever. It migrates in and out of cars, around the shop- currently hanging off a drilled axle. DSCN0678.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  15. Do NOT let this happen to YOU! LOL.:eek::D:D shrunken-head.jpg

lothiandon1940, wraymen and Stogy like this.
  16. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

My dad didn't make his shrunken head. It was one of the $2 ones from the back of a magazine. Sorry for any confusion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Deutsch ist nicht meine erste Sprache aber ich glaube vielleicht kann man "do-dad" uebersetzen wie so:

Do-dad= kinkerlitzchen, nette kleinigkeit.

Auch wie CowboyTed has gesagt. Normalerweise wertlose oder billig. Verstehen Sie?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  18. note: always use the word "shrunken" when describing, ordering, or asking someone for one in your car. using "little" could cause some issues.......or not.

bowtie56jw, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I like Do-Dads and Shotschies, skulls. shrunken heads, dice and the like. Oh and Graduation tassels, Rabbits feet. The shrunken head you see was bought from a vender at Billetproof Antioch Ca. U.S.A. It is I think made of goat skin then molded and shaved. When I first saw them I thought they might be real. The skull was carved by Norm Gragowski.
    Stefan the english language is pretty hard to learn we have about a dozen ways to pronounce PH and the letter C and with a a lot of slang mixed in. Don't go down to the south USA especially New Orleans where French is mixed with American English and lazy speech. My mother in law's name was Lilian and when my father in law said it, it came out Leian.

SANY0001.jpg

20. Slopok

Slopok

I've always wondered why the word abbreviation is so long?o_O

21. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

In all of my H-R's , vehicles & Blown Altered ,
    Have a shrunken head or Skull !!!

mad mikey likes this.
  22. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Yes, you can make them from an apple! My best friend made a bunch back in the day, but I'd have to google it to know.....so you might as well;):rolleyes:

23. Of course you realize you have to start with a monkey. Wack his head off and hang it by the hair behind the barn until the stank comes off of it and bob's your uncle. Stuff a golf ball in it if need be for size.

jimmy six, mike bowling and Saxman like this.
  24. desotot

desotot

Dodads, thingamabobs, spaghetti, yup, I have a friend who calls it all spaghetti, dice here, dice there, dice everywhere, two antennas, four antennas, things hanging from the mirror, or mirrors, dancing things on the package tray, things that don't dance on the package tray, stuff stuff and more stuff. All of it spaghetti, we go to a show and shine and he sees a car with spaghetti, look! he says that one goes really fast, he sees another one covered with spaghetti and says look! that one has the appearance of a 58 Buick, he sees another one covered in spaghetti and says, yep, that is custom, and he sees another one full of spaghetti and says, I believe what that man really wanted was a colander. and the there is yet another one and he says it still don't look like a Topolino,,,,,,,

25. I have a shrunken head in my car,it happens with age!!

Stogy and jimmy six like this.
  26. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

BradinNC, Stogy, Devin and 1 other person like this.
  27. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Hahaha, Muttley! Thanks a lot!

28. Faux ones are available, google it. Here's mine on the mirror of my "20 A. I remember in the early fifties an Army surplus store had real ones for $5 each!
    IMG_0035.JPG

29. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

I think, yes, this is all do-dads.
    I found the real art of shrunken head:
    Check this out >>>>
    When I have enough money I will hang a shrunken head of my own on the mirror!
    That's it!

Saxman likes this.