Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shrinker/Stretcher sets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspert, Nov 30, 2014.

1. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I want to get a set of the shrinker/stretchers for working sheet metal. I don't (can't afford) want to buy the top quality sets so I'm looking at the set from Eastwood or Harbor freight. The HF set includes the stand and is less expensive than the EW but will the dies stand up very long. If they are not properly hardened they will probably will wear out quickly. I would like to buy the Baleigh but cannot right now. Comments??

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I would be confidant with Eastwood tools

3. Search for Lazze on youtube.
    He has a video on shrinkers.

4. chrisp

chrisp

I have had the Eastwood's for many years they work fine, at work we use the JS Tools ones, they work great. I would throw away my EW in a heartbeat for some JS. But if you can't afford or can't justify the cost the EW are perfectly fine.
    If you intend to build something curvy on 2 planes or with tight radius you will understand the limitation of square jaws.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I am happy with my Eastwood, I have used it quite a bit. I just bought one body and the 2 dies and switch them. something to think about if you are on a budget and don't do it for a living.

I'm thinking that is one of the things not to buy at Harbor freight.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had to google JS tools shrinker stretcher to see what these "not square" jaws look like. what differences do you see with the JS type jaws?

7. brady1929

brady1929

Mittler Brothers?

8. Having used the harbor freight set I feel I can honestly answer your question,they work but the dies don't hold up well.

When building the wagon I used the HF set a lot but the stretcher die failed and a replacements was sourced from Eastwood.

I sold them at the Charlotte Swap meet and stepped up and bought a Baileigh shrinker stretcher with the foot operated stand and with the Alliance Discount I got a great deal and a tool that will last. HRP

9. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I have the HF shrinker/stretcher and it really is not a good tool. More or less, I wasted my money when I bought it. I thought as I am only a tinkerer that it would do what I needed for as infrequently as I needed it. Wrong! Please look to another source for your shrinker/stretcher.

10. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

I have an oval jaw Baleigh foot operated deep shrinker stretcher, works well and is much cheaper than the JS unit.
    For any Aussies reading this, Hafco is now selling the exact same unit Baleigh sells from the same chinese factory in a different colour for half the price. $495AU
    http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/S2264

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  11. If you are a bit inquisitive, hunt around on allibaba . Com and take some notes. You'd be surprised at who's products you'll be singing praises over and who's are being bashed when the same factory produced both.
    With a small capital investment you can get a skid of them, painted any color you choose and distribute them yourself.

I've had a HF unit for quite a while now and have had no problems other than the pedal mount and stand base. My Tennsmith brake gets used less and requires more attention to work correctly.

YMMV

12. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Thanks everyone. My thoughts were that the EW set would be the better of the two. I will look into some others that were mentioned too.

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

lobucktools.com USA made

Heres the thing about tools, you buy good tools and use the crap out of them. If there ever becomes a time where you need to sell them, they will bring good value in return. Buying junk has no return and just might as well throw them away

14. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

for the money Baileigh is the best in my opinion.The advantage is the oval type jaws versus the square type of other brands like eastwood ,HF etc.The oval jaws make shrinking shape work alot less evasive on the metal than the square type.

15. I bought a set a few years ago, can't remember the name brand right now but it was a USA name brand....when it came in, it was made in china. still works fine.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have the shrinker and stretcher both with their own body from Eastwood.
    I've used them a lot and no problems.
    They seem to be good quality and work great.

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

Fay Butler sells a set that is MADE IN THE USA and modified by him for $189 ($290/set). I have one and it's not difficult to change jaws. Harbor Freight/Eastwood are Made in China, if that matters to you.

http://www.faybutler.com/lancaster.htm

18. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

the fay butler ones look no different from the HB

19. atomickustom

atomickustom

I never buy anything from Eastwood if it says "imported" in the catalog description because I know at that point it's coming from the same Chinese factory as Harbor Freight.

20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, how many miles do you plan to get out of the set and how hard are you going to use them?

Are you looking for something to get going/try out or do you want to buy the tool once and use it forever?

For the difference in price between the HF setup (as I see it today, $285 +S&H) Vs what Baileigh wants, ($450), I'd tend to advise you to think about saving up a little longer and going with the Baileigh rig. Baileigh is also an Alliance Vendor, so if you join the HAMB Alliance, you can probably get a deal.

I covet Baileigh equipment personally. I got the HF setup as a gift, it's been great so far and I really appreciate it, but I'm not sure how long it will last me once I get real deep into my project. I've only made a couple patch panels with it so far.

21. chrisp

chrisp

Lazze sells the JS unit in the US. I believe the Baileigh is a chinese JS knock off...
    Oval jaws or even round jaws like on a Eckold are especially valuable on tight shrinking, you don't have the square corners that will get stamped into whatever you're shrinking when you reach the maximum radius capacity of the machine. Plus you can shrink more, you have a deeper reach and quality jaws leave less marks on your metal.
    Then again I could afford only the EW ones and been working like that for many years.
    I started to draw blueprints to build a deep throat shrinker/stretcher so I'll have to buy only the oval jaws from whoever.

22. They already saw you coming.
    Oval jaw sets ain't cheap and are priced at just under what a machine will cost you. Ask me how I know and then wonder why that is. The cam style deep throat shrinker stretcher is based off of (pretty near copied) a 1950s eckold design.

There's a place that sells quality Lancaster style (square) jaws pretty reasonable, 68.00 Ill see if I can find it. Also you can make them relatively easy but its cheaper to buy them.

http://www.ustool.com/sheet-metal-tools/shrinkers-stretchers.html?osCsid=0tk4o7r4s3m7ed5fo03qucu0h6

With those ^ jaws a fella could make any kind or depth of shrinker strecher combo he wanted. The oval jaws are bigger and don't really help all that much because the business end is still in the center of the jaws. The action is linear and they still put flat spots into your bowl shapes or compound curves and get in the way turning tight a radius even more than the Lancaster style jaws do. Round Eckolds would make more of difference I think, but I need to win the lotto to find out.

Check out pages 10,11,12 in my sig

There's a few that are the same basic action as the 1" deep HF and EW but they are 2" deep. Then there's the big G shaped ones that all use the same jaws.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    RichG likes this.
  23. atomickustom

atomickustom

I agree, I would never pay that for the HF set! I waited for a sale and used a coupon and got mine (without a stand, which took me an hour to make using a spare wheel as a base, one piece of square tubing and one plate) for under $100. I think it came to closer to $80 total. Of course I also plan on using them literally just a few times whenever I find time to get back on my current in-progress project so durability isn't really an issue.

24. Hellfish

Hellfish

Don't be fooled by the paint color. The Butler unit is Made in The USA, unless I've been duped. The HF one is made in China. I'm pretty sure that the Eastwood one is, too.

25. Here's what every copy stems from.
    http://www.lancasterpump.com.

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    LANCASTER PORTO-METAL FORMERS

A HISTORY OF THE LANCASTER SHRINKER/STRETCHER

C-B Tool is located in the heartland of Lancaster County Pennsylvania. Along with the lush green rolling countryside and the Amish community, Lancaster has a prosperous variety of industrial concerns. One of these is C-B Tool Company.

C-B Tool began in 1939 as a jobbing machine shop and the manufacturer of a variety of automotive tools. It was started by an innovative and creative man by the name of Charlie Beard but after December 7th, 1941 the company focus changed. C-B Tool quickly became involved in the war effort. Production during the war years was 24 hours a day, 365 days a year making equipment for the ships of our Navy.

After World War II ended the company went back to its original mission of machine work and tool making. The company made all kinds of tools, including: metal shrinker and stretchers, rivet cutters, a tool designed to help position tongue and groove boards, hole punches, crimpers, cable splicing blocks, and more. All that remains today is the rivet cutters and the shrinker and stretcher tools.

One of the first tools manufactured by C-B Tool Co. turned out to be the best. It was the shrinker and stretcher metal forming tool. It was a difficult tool for Charlie to perfect, but the final 1939 version is virtually the same tool today. The tool shrinks and stretches metal for inside and outside turns. No more cutting and welding. You work the metal to the perfect angle. It is an easy to use quality built tool that continues to grow in popularity.

Charlie Beard is long gone, but his legacy of premium workmanship in his shrinker and stretcher remains intact with the third generation of family members. His metal forming tools are now sold worldwide. His invention has helped those in auto restoration, the aircraft industry, and automotive body shops for nearly 70 years. It’s a great tool that is literally ageless.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

METAL SHRINKER METAL STRETCHER

FEATURES:

• Shrinks metal for inside angles.
    • Stretches metal for outside angles.
    • Works metal up to 2" in width.
    • Works 18-gauge soft steel,
    20-gauge stainless, 16- gauge aluminum.
    • No strength loss of metal.
    • Completely assembled-ready to use.
    • 45 to 1 leverage for powerful press.
    • Special malleable iron body.
    • Weighs only 12 pounds.
    • Made in the USA.
    THE LANCASTER PORTO-METAL FORMER

The specialty tool for every metal shop...

• Aircraft/aerospace shops
    • Industrial shops
    • Automotive/motorcycle shops
    • Body shops
    • Farm/school/vo-tech shops
    • Specialty shops
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Installation and operating instructions

26. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

the style and performance are the same in my opinion

27. COOP

COOP

I was at an estate sale and found this unusual looking device with a long handle buried under a bunch of rusty steel tubing. Turns out it was an Eckold shrinker / stretcher unit. Found a bag of crap that went with it. Had a couple sets of shrinker jaws, but only one stretcher jaws. Has an unusual rubber piece that was missing. Looked up the part and discovered that I could buy a complete eastwood set cheaper than this stupid piece of rubber. Must be an expensive unit. Luckily I picked it up cheap. The shrinker works great. I don't know anything about these units, but it sure is easy to use.

28. Pics !

29. raymay

raymay

Check out Woodward-Fab.com out of Michigan, they have a nice variety of metal working equipment. I bought their basic shrinker/stretcher and it works well for my needs.