Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shrinker/ Stretcher info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Streetwerkz, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I am looking for opinions on manual, or pneumatic Shrinker/ Stretcher?
    pro's, con's ect..

Attached Files:

2. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

We have been able to do anything we needed with manual shrinker and stretcher... Just make sure you buy one of each and not one frame with two sets of jaws..Jason.

3. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The shrinker/stretcher, as pictured, looks like the manual model that they've jus' air powered. I wouldn't look for this set up to be very long lived, given that the body and moving pieces were designed for manual usage.
    You would have to be doing a lot of shrinking or stretching to make a unit like this pay off. For a one man shop, the manual works jus' fine.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

4. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

i absolutely love the pneumatic i got at the shop but then again iam lazy but its rather spendy. you could do anything you could ever wanna with a manual and it is a lot easier on the wallet

5. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Finally got one, and I love it!!
    can't wait to use it on my model A project!!!
    go from straight to curvy in no time, it's great!!

Attached Files:

6. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

Spend the money on a set that has QUALITY dies in it. Don't waste your money on the crap at Harbor Freight. Lastly, I prefer to use them manually. You can feel the pressure on the machine more so than using a pneumatic or hydraulic setup.

good luck,

Andy

7. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Being able to feel your metal shrink and stretch is important.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

But sometimes being able to do something solo helps to. I love my pneumatic one.

9. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I've to two manual units and they've served me well over the years. I'm thinking about buying one of the foot pedal operated stands do I have both hands for holding metal, but I can't really see a huge benefit to the hydrolic set-up given the cost involved

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

By the way this is the one I have...

[​IMG]

http://www.toolsplus1.com/shrstretch.htm

Got it for a little less than they are selling it for, but well worth the price as much as it gets used. I'll pay the price for a quality tool.

11. the air cylinder looks like a non adjustable BIMBA unit, that would be the first thing that went into the garbage. you want a servicable one. see if they offer a optional cylinder if you decide to purchase the unit.

12. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I got the foot operated unit from Baileigh so I could feel it, and use both hands... not disappointed in the least either